As a service? Windows 7, 8 or 10?

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Amd cpu on the windows 8.1 machine
The service works but I am wondering about the hardware acceleration .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The issues so far are with dedicated machine.
yes because you dont follow directions....good luck to you..i suggest an NVR...as I stated in response to your other thread, NVRs never have any problems..there are no threads on this forum or any other forum with issues that pertain to NVR's..
also you cant have a freaking memory leak related to an intel driver on a DEDICATED AMD machine..which one is true?

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow. You need a vacation...
I am not using a NVR because BI is better.
But don't pretend that it does not have its issues. Jeez.
It's all good.
BI has no competition so we are stuck with it.
But considering the amoint of time it takes to correct stuff the cost of owning it gets in to 5 digits just in time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. You need a vacation...
I am not using a NVR because BI is better.
But don't pretend that it does not have its issues. Jeez.
It's all good.
BI has no competition so we are stuck with it.
But considering the amoint of time it takes to correct stuff the cost of owning it gets in to 5 digits just in time.
how can it be better? you only have problems...
you bitch about them, but do nothing to solve them...
I have explained multiple times how to properly setup a blue iris system with zero issues...but you refuse to listen...i run over 20 systems with NO problems...not magic...
BI has LOTS of competition - you are just to cheap to pay for it.
it takes zero time to correct issues - you created your own issues..learn to follow directions...
for the benefit of others i will repeat again.
1 - perform a clean windows install USING THE MICROSOFT MEDIA CREATION TOOL
2- dedicate the machine to blue iris
3 - disable auto update
4 - dont update as soon as a new version is released - this is an OCD that many folks have. Stop it. Wait - until a revision has been out a while. Relax.

Follow those simply rules and you will be bless like me and have no problems...
you want to be stupid and install every update and run media center on it then you will have problems and wonder why...your issues are user error nothing more.
Again, clarify your lie - you claimed to have a memory leak and have issues with installing the intel HD driver but then admit that you are using an AMD based pc - if you are not lying then you are simply too inept to be using blue iris...pay someone to setup and NVR or another VMS.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For starters win 7 is will be end of life in less than 3 years...Most folks don't want to pay for an OS again
My partner has Win10 on their PC & I hate it, so much so I learned how to install & use Linux:rofl:. And you're correct, most folks don't want to pay for an OS again so I'd have to fork out more money for another Win10 license. I still have & use WinXP on an old hard drive because of legacy software & other reasons & have spare Win7 licenses.

With Windows 7 you cannot run as a service and use hardware acceleration
Again, you cannot run as a service and use hardware acceleration with win 7
If I understand correctly, hardware acceleration can be used on Win7 but only if BI is not running as a service.

Are there other items/features a user would be missing out on & how significant are they if BI is used with Windows7? I'd try this, hardware acceleration, but my current PC hardware is too old so trying to get clearer picture before forking out hundreds more $$$ on hardware that won't do the job.
I'm looking at getting a dedicated intel NUC/PC for BI that's compatible with Win7 & quicksync, have spare Win7 licenses & don't care about Win10. Don't plan on remote accessing the dedicated PC other than on local LAN, so it won't have access to outside world, so don't see need for Win10 at all.

I'd love for someone to give technical reasons for why it must be windows 10
Yes I'd like to better understand this also. Because if I have to, & it's possible, I'll just create a program to start up on PC (re)boot & start BI from there ;).