Asus routers and VPN

Reaction score
Thank you SouternYankee. What about the defrance between “ac” and “ax”?
see: IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia and read more here: Wi-Fi gets quicker with 802.11ax, but buying early might offer few advantages
short list of devices for 802.11ax: List of 802.11ax Hardware - WikiDevi you probably won't find a similar list for AC because it would be godawful-long.

but basically, improvements are made to the 802.11 wireless protocol to change how it operates (change to frequency bands, changes to modulation, change to bandwidth, changes to encryption, changes to traffic management).

Short answer:
  • 802.11ac is probably the most current technology that you actually have in a device (your device and router both need to communicate using a supported protocol, so if your old device only supported 802.11n, that's what you'll get from your router).
  • 802.11ax is an exciting "next gen" but mostly "just coming to market" iteration, that dramatically changes how the router handles device-to-device communication and traffic management, but so far you can't even get a device to connect to your laptop or buy a phone that can "talk" to the router with that version of the protocol, so router will fallback to AC, but you'll pay now for these future capabilities you won't yet be using.

Boggz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Randy’s walkthrough was very helpful and I have OpenVPN set up and can access my network remotely. I hope you don’t mind answering another question. I am unable to see my PoE Dahua IP camera. Indirect the browser to the default IP address and I can’t connect. I downloaded the Dahua toolbox and the search yielded no results. I’m assuming there’s a simple LAN setting I’m missing or perhaps a firewall setting. Any help would be appreciated.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Randy’s walkthrough was very helpful and I have OpenVPN set up and can access my network remotely. I hope you don’t mind answering another question. I am unable to see my PoE Dahua IP camera. Indirect the browser to the default IP address and I can’t connect. I downloaded the Dahua toolbox and the search yielded no results. I’m assuming there’s a simple LAN setting I’m missing or perhaps a firewall setting. Any help would be appreciated.
Can you tell us HOW you are connecting to your VPN server? If you connect through your own WIFI (on the asus), it will connect but will not work properly. You need to either connect through 3g/4g (or your neighbors wifi) and thén connect to the VPN server. My bet is that you'll find your cams then.

The reason for this: if you connect to your wifi, you'll get your class C address (eg 192.168.0.212). The VPN is accessed through the WAN IP (eg 212.x.y.z). Nothing sad here. But your VPN server creates an "internal" LAN (10.0.0.x) which gets routed towards your 192.168.0.x subnet). And there it goes wrong, because your device yourself already knows how to route towards that subnet, but gets confusing information from the VPN server.

Hope this helps!
CC

Boggz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi CC,

Thanks for the help. I think I’m conflating two issues. I apologize for ignorance in advance. I set up my OpenVP and I’m able to see my router over LTE. Then I moved to connect my PoE switch to the Asus WiFi router and connected my new Dahua starlight camera to the PoE switch. Finally, I connected a new pc loaded with blue iris to the same router. When I log into the router from the previously mention pc the camera isn’t detected on the network map. I tried directing my browser to the camera’s default address with no luck. Finally, I loaded and ran the Dahua configtool and it couldn’t find the camera but I’m not sure I set the search parameters correctly. When I log into the router via LTE, the camera still doesn’t appear on the network map. I have no real experience with networking and appreciate your advice.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi CC,

Thanks for the help. I think I’m conflating two issues. I apologize for ignorance in advance. I set up my OpenVP and I’m able to see my router over LTE. Then I moved to connect my PoE switch to the Asus WiFi router and connected my new Dahua starlight camera to the PoE switch. Finally, I connected a new pc loaded with blue iris to the same router. When I log into the router from the previously mention pc the camera isn’t detected on the network map. I tried directing my browser to the camera’s default address with no luck. Finally, I loaded and ran the Dahua configtool and it couldn’t find the camera but I’m not sure I set the search parameters correctly. When I log into the router via LTE, the camera still doesn’t appear on the network map. I have no real experience with networking and appreciate your advice.
My advice is not to try to hit two bugs in one shot. First objective: get your cam to work on your LAN. Second objective: get your cam to work on your VPN. The latter won't ever work without the first.

So first things first: did you ever-ever configured the cam? If you did, I suggest to do a factory reset. Some cams have a removable "hatch" under which a reset button is located. Consult the documentation of your cam if you are unsure, but normal process is: hold the reset button, power in the UTP cable from POE switch, let the cam run for 10-15 seconds, release the reset button and it will reboot. Let it reboot properly. If you perform the reset properly, your cam WILL revert to the default address: 192.168.1.108. Now connect your PC to the switch directly (not your router) and put an address of 192.168.1.200 in it. Try to ping 192.168.1.108. If that doesn't work, something else is annoying you. If it does work, you can use the dahua toolbox to change the IP address to the IP range you use in your ASUS (eg 192.168.300.x). Then you can disconnect your pc from the POE switch to the router. Then retry the pingtest to the new ip address of the cam. That should work.

And if you were able to use already VPN to connect to your BI server, the second objective is automatically met, and you should be able to see the cam over VPN.

Hope this helps!
CC

Boggz

n3wb
Reaction score
CC,

Thank you much. I’m overwhelmed by how helpful people on this forum are. It was my configuration process that wasn’t working. Turns out the first 4 ports of my new PoE switch aren’t working. Once that was figured out it worked. Thanks again for your help!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
CC,

Thank you much. I’m overwhelmed by how helpful people on this forum are. It was my configuration process that wasn’t working. Turns out the first 4 ports of my new PoE switch aren’t working. Once that was figured out it worked. Thanks again for your help!!
What poe switch do you have?

Boggz

n3wb
Reaction score
What poe switch do you have?
IPCAMPOWER IPCP-8P2G-EXAF and now my attention turns to final cut pro and drone footage editing. Have to knock out a project so I can wire in the cool of the morning. : )