Atlanta Checking in - think I am being bamboozled

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Previously had a hikvision install + nvr + vpn that worked out well quite well. In the new home, I am going to be probably be going Dahua cameras (I've read the faq/wiki a few times and have it bookmarked - great resource). I will be buying my own cameras, havent decided if I want to go NVR this time around or try blue iris.

Looking to run an 8-set of cameras at my current house and the hardest problem so far is finding a trustable low voltage electrician to do it. For a few reasons, I am not capable of doing this myself unfortunately. A few I spoke to just said "yeah, we don't do residential any more, just commercial. Too many issues." so I was happy when I found someone who said "yeah, we totally do this."

I got quoted out 600 dollars for each cat6 24g copper run and screw-in of homeowner bought cameras. This seems crazy high. This is a case where I want the devices to terminate in the basement and we have a two story home, so it would need to run/fish up two stories. But still, thats 600 dollars a run. I thought normal price was 100-150 and asked him about that and they kind of chuckled and said "noone does it for that price anymore." This was a quote over the phone for a gut-check so maybe it was padded a bit so they could back off if the house was easier in a full quote but still this price got me to about 5k just for 8 runs.

Guys - help me out. Am I way off? Anyone know a trustworthy low-voltage electrician in the Atlanta area to recommend? Any other recommendations here or even a site they use to find folks to help with that?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
That is high, but honestly its not out of the realm of reality. two story house makes it hard

I'd do it yourself!

Get 3 quotes as always

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..This is a case where I want the devices to terminate in the basement and we have a two story home, so it would need to run/fish up two stories.
Welcome @SentinelFile

"..This is a case where I want the devices to terminate in the basement and we have a two story home, so it would need to run/fish up two stories. "

Are you planning on mounting the cameras up 2 stories high? ( i.e. 18-20 feet high or so ? )

Reaction score
yep, this is my day job. Running networking cable (or any cable) inside of a 2 story house has major challenges. The kind of challenges no one, other than installers, realize. Gotta drill a hole through a stud? Ooops...there goes that 110v romex that shorted out your $8000 stereo system. Run cable under the 1st floor? Ooops...don't get the 1,207 black widow spiders angry.
You should try this out for yourself. Heck of alot cheaper (free labor hours).
I have a 2 story house. I ran 40+ cat6 cables everywhere (security alarm related wires, audio wiring, RG6 coaxial / 4 cat6 to every room, cat6 for outside, bleh bleh bleh.
What you can do to help simply things:
in the laundry room or closet or a place where not easily seen....run a 2" EMT conduit through the floor to ceiling. You need an easy wire pathway. 2" conduit will handle 30-40 Cat6's. I would actually go 3" if you include coaxial and alarm wires and whole house audio stuff.
I really could list lots of way to help you run the wire if interested in DIY. Otherwise, $600 is extreme for a single cable (might as well run 2 or 3 to a single location instead of just 1). But then again, all depends on the cost of living in your area.
Always thought to make a forum post about installing wire in a house with some videos.
Maybe now that things have settled down, I could do so with the hope it helps other folks out.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice folks.

@mat200 - no not mounting it two stories up, would like to keep it ~7-8 feet for identification purposes, but best I can do is the eaves due to hoa. Just I have a weird attic so it goes up two stories to a gigantic open space that I can then feed to eaves at the separation of first and second story. House is bizarre architecturally.

Re running this myself - I would love to and its painful to admit it but for reasons I can no longer do that. We accept reality.

So - 600 dollars is high but not outside of the realm of possibility... ok. Given we are in the south, but near Atlanta, maybe thats right? I will get some more quotes but just really disappointed if thats the case as it will cost significantly more than I had planned. Thanks for the tips @Holbs .