Attempted invasion of my neighbor's house

Discussion in 'Camera Captures' started by RJF, Jan 8, 2018.

Share This Page

1. RJF

RJF Getting the hang of it

This is infuriating. My neighbor's wife and young children were home when this son of a bitch tried to break in (and he knew it when he looked in the window, but he did it anyway). He tried to push through the door but gave up when she called upstairs and asked her husband (who wasn't home) to call 911.

This video is long and captures from when he started casing the place until he ran off. The attempted break-in starts around 3:35:32 and goes for a couple minutes after that.

This was taken with a Lorex 8MP camera.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    DavidDavid, mat200 and fenderman like this.
  2. drunkpenguin

drunkpenguin Getting comfortable

Creepy mother fucker!

RJF likes this.
  3. bigredfish

bigredfish Known around here

Lots of lessons there. Glad it worked out ok...

looney2ns and RJF like this.
  4. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Wow!

Thanks for sharing RJF.

Time for a quick meeting with concerned neighbors and sharing a little about what you know about security cameras.

Hopefully the neighbors across the street and others get a few good cameras so you can ID some of these attackers.

RJF likes this.
  5. Snapper30

Snapper30 Getting the hang of it

Good thinking by your neighbor to call for her husband. Hope they catch the SOB.

RJF likes this.
  6. Parley

Parley Getting comfortable

Damn, that kind of cr@p really bothers me.

RJF likes this.
  7. tangent

tangent Known around here

Agreed.

Seems like his m.o. was to try to get someone to open the door and then force his way in. I find that more brazen and can't help wondering if they're a svp.

Can't tell what's on the wall at the grey apartment a keypad for code entry, fingerprint reader, audio intercom, or video intercom. If there's video hopefully it's being recorded. It could have gotten a better view of his face.

Some obvious lessons / things to consider
    • fix the closer on the security door. the ajar security door may have been the first thing that got his attention. Could also have simply been that the lights were on.
    • lock the security door
    • consider sticking a super simple door chime on the security door like this. Sometimes you even see these at the dollar store. In the alarm setting they also work well on basement window well covers.
    • Put up a security camera or two.
    • consider a simple peephole viewer in the front door or maybe something reflective in the yard so you can see a reflection from the window if somebody's trying to hide in the doorway.
    • an alarm system is pretty effective at scaring people off, even just a yard sign (big name ones on ebay).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    looney2ns and RJF like this.
  8. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Pulling my weight

Wow. Obviously not a great neighbourhood from the barred windows, but what's surprising is he actually picks a house with barred protection!

Wondering if you managed to get a good still from the camera because I noticed at several point prior to the break in and one during, he actually pulls the scarf down exposing his face whilst facing the camera. Did they catch him?

Was the door just on a chain as it seemed to come ajar very easily but not open. If not, your neighbour really needs to consider a better door with multi-point locking. He was able to force the door way too easily. If so, then moral here is don't leave the door on a chain and it's no good having an outer security door if you don't lock it.

Another thing for the neighbour to consider is an alarm system. I have a multi-zone alarm system and whenever I'm in the house in the day, the perimeter, which includes door sensors is ARMED even though I'm in. At night, the lower ground floor is totally armed + perimeter. An alarm isn't just for when you're out. A rolling code remote helps with unlocking if you're in and out frequently.

RJF and weigle2 like this.
  9. RobertM

RobertM Getting the hang of it

The lady of the house was very crafty, quick-thinking and utilized what was instantly available to her to thwart the invasion. Wow.

CCTVCam likes this.
  10. bigredfish

At about 5:48 it seems he easily gets the inner door open a bit. Either its unlocked with a chain or she opens it a smidge to tell him to go away...? Either way, this was seconds away from possibly turning out very badly.

1) Get a firearm and learn how to use it.
    2) Call 911 at the beginning of the attempted breakin, not when its almost too late.

Oh yeah, Lock the friggen doors! This buys you time for #1 & #2 above

NoloC, looney2ns, RJF and 1 other person like this.
  11. 58chev

58chev Getting the hang of it

Watching that again at full screen, the perp almost gets right inside. Wonder if there was a chain or the lady was fighting him off?

12. bigredfish

Looked to me like she opened the door a crack to speak to him, and he backs up a couple of times, led me to believe she was swatting at him.

3) NEVER open the door for someone you dont know.

looney2ns likes this.
  13. RJF

Luckily some of my neighbors have cameras (thanks to the DC surveillance camera rebate program) and we have some decent footage of his face. Now it's in MPD's hands.

In case anyone has any interest in seeing what the footage from a Dahua 8MP IPC-HDW5830R-Z looks like, here is that footage from the same time frame (but from a different angle that does not capture the attempted break-in itself).

looney2ns and mat200 like this.
  14. drunkpenguin

With the narrow left and right angle you guys have, I wonder if an auto tracking PTZ would work well over there?

RJF likes this.
  15. RJF

I'll have to think about that. I have so much foot/car traffic on my street I would be concerned that it would just be bouncing around all the time.

16. RJF

Even in the nicest neighborhoods in DC you are never very far from the riffraff. This is in Capitol Hill.

CCTVCam and tangent like this.
  17. RJF

She fought him off.

18. drunkpenguin

Keep an eye out for those guys in suits. They are the worst! :D

mat200 likes this.
  19. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Indeed! They'll rob you blind - so blind that you'll vote for them again and again ;-)

drunkpenguin likes this.
  20. RJF

Seriously. We had a murder one block from this location last year where a homeless guy pushed his way into a basement apartment and stabbed a woman to death. We live amongst savages.

DC police find car of woman who was stabbed to death in Northeast

21. drunkpenguin

Fuck that, I'd be moving.

rcirz, handinpalm and 58chev like this.
  22. handinpalm

handinpalm Getting the hang of it

Pretty scary place. Better be locked and loaded, only way to protect yourself. That brazen SOB needs to be 6' under.

23. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

Appears that he follows the lady that left, before he returns.
    There was no chain on the door, he gets it opened too far for that.
    By the way, for those just tuning in, those chains are a joke to keep someone out.
    Talk through the door, if you don't know them.
    Lady is very lucky, if he'd been a little more determined, it'd all been over.

DC, land of the Brave, and home of the 2nd amendment that doesn't apply to us peons.

TonyR and bigredfish like this.
  24. bigredfish

When we go to NE PA to visit family, we take the "longcut" up the WVa turnpike,and go out around Maryland/DC and come in the West side of the state. It adds 4 hours to the drive, but we get to stop in Pittsburgh and see some old friends.

looney2ns likes this.
  25. SyconsciousAu

SyconsciousAu Pulling my weight

I know too many people that a firearm is really an inappropriate defensive weapon for. They are lovely people, they just don't have it in them to shoot a person, even if that person is breaking into their house and a threat to them.

26. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Well you can put that on their tombstone...

beepsilver, erkme73, reddn and 3 others like this.
  27. NoloC

NoloC Getting comfortable

Bull Shit.

Old saying: I don't know much about guns, but I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.

beepsilver likes this.
  28. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Pulling my weight

mat200 likes this.
  29. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

It's funny how quickly they can change that attitude when someone they know or love has been the victim of a violent crime.

Short version of a long true story:
    McKinney TX, nice 3 year old subdivision, McKinney is booming economically.
    My daughter lived in said new subdivision.
    She makes friends easily, and so knows most of the folks within 15-20 house's of hers. They all hang out together on the weekends.
    My daughter has had her carry permit for several years, and has tried to convey that sense to her friends. I beat into her head from an early age how not to be a victim.

One of her friends were vehemently anti-gun, which is fine, to each his own. Lived in a nice two story home with their 3 young kids, 12 house's away from my daughter. Home builder included alarm systems in each new home, but these folks had their head in the sand and never activated or armed theirs. It could never happen to them ya know.

Last july, 2am, wife wakes to a loud noise. Gets up and goes downstairs to see what's up, 4 masked guys meet her at the bottom of the stairs. She screams for her husband, they pistol whip her a couple of times. One of them take her to the kitchen to tie her up. Gets beat some more. Husband stumbles down the stairs, 3 guys greet him, he trys to fight back, they pistol whip him, until he's un-conscious, while wife watches.

Now they ransack the house, young kids are corralled in one bedroom and locked in. Wife is thinking husband is dead.

After an hour of ransacking the house, one of them takes the wife to the ATM in her car, and withdraws money. They do this at 5 ATMs.
    While away, husband kind of comes to, try's again to fight, he get's beat again.

Wife and thug return home, they contemplate raping the wife in front of the husband, but don't.

3hrs and 20 min's later, they finally leave.
    Husbands spends 3 weeks in the hospital with multiple broken bones in his face, arms and chest. Concussion Plus internal damage.

Wife spends a week in hospital. Multiple broken bones in her face and arms.

Wife and kids so traumatized that they can't go back down their street, let alone go in the house.

After staying with friends and seeing therapist's for 5 months, they end up selling the house, because the wife and kids can't go back into it.

TonyR, fenderman, Fastb and 3 others like this.
  30. 58chev

58chev Getting the hang of it

Same here in Canada, the perp has more rights that the home owner.

I say knock em out hard and drag their a$$ down the street and leave them there. Just hope that when they come to, they have no clue how they got there.