Attic install. Heat issue?

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive had my cctv setup which I self installed for over a year in my loft with no issues.

Currently I have in my loft a Hikvison 8 camera NVR and a 8 port POE switch powering 7 various Hikvision cameras around my house. I have 7 feeds going from the POE switch located in the loft out from the eaves behind the downpipe running to the cameras.

Ive just been up in the loft and with the heatwave we are having in the UK at the minute I've noticed the NVR and mainly the switch and its plug is very hot to the touch. Should this be a cause for concern?

Ive never really thought about it before but with temps up there currently at 36C I'm a little concerned it could be a fire hazard.

Anyone else have there install in the attic with similar temps with any issues?

Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive never really thought about it before but with temps up there currently at 36C I'm a little concerned it could be a fire hazard.
I don't think your equipment is at risk for catching on fire, just prematurely dying from the excess heat.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @looney2ns said.

Sure the specs may barely allow it, but here's my rule of thumb deciding if the operating ambient temp will be too hot for the equipment: if you, as a human, can barely stand it after about 5 minutes at the temp's peak, imagine then how you'd feel doing 100 pushups? If you're NOT OK with that, then neither is the equipment.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 to what @looney2ns said.

Sure the specs may barely allow it, but here's my rule of thumb deciding if the operating ambient temp will be too hot for the equipment: if you, as a human, can barely stand it after about 5 minutes at the temp's peak, imagine then how you'd feel doing 100 pushups? If you're NOT OK with that, then neither is the equipment.
I can't even do 100 push ups! I guess my equipment can't go anywhere then! D'oh! :smash:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If your equipment absolutely has to be in the attic, plug in a fan and have it blow on the recorder and switch. Just a little air moving around can drop the temperature quite a bit.

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks all may have to re think my setup. As said it's been running fine for over a year it's just with this current heat wave it concerns me it may catch fire.

Being in the UK it's rare we have these kind of temps.

I don't really fancy ripping it all out as I have a few hdmi over cat 6 up there aswell with monitors connected in various rooms in the house. Taking it all out would be a right pain.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks all may have to re think my setup. As said it's been running fine for over a year it's just with this current heat wave it concerns me it may catch fire.

Being in the UK it's rare we have these kind of temps.

I don't really fancy ripping it all out as I have a few hdmi over cat 6 up there aswell with monitors connected in various rooms in the house. Taking it all out would be a right pain.
Hi J273,

You can build a enclosure around the NVR to help reduce the temp - using a fan to help direct airflow.

If the Attic temp gets hotter than the outside temp in the heat wave - just get a duct to pull outside air into the enclosure, and use the fan to help pull in the air and force it out the top.

Place a temp switch on the fan so that it kicks on at a reasonable temp ( 80 degree F in the USA is what I would be using ), maybe even use a solar powered fan for this.

I would use some insulation and radiant barrier around the enclosure to reduce the walls from getting too much heat from the surrounding attic air/ceilings.

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks mat200

I've been looking at enclosures with fans and I'll pick one up.

As a temp measure I have a small usb fan plugged directly into the NVR blowing cool air over my switch and NVR and it seems to be doing a good job at keeping things cooler according to my temp sensor I have up there.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unplug it until the temperature is acceptable. Life will go on...

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think a lot of the heat comes from inside the machine also. Maybe two ducts from the inside of the house to pump cold air into the enclosure and back out. Maybe dryer vent hose with a 120mm pc fan on both sides, pushing and pulling.

tomciara

n3wb
Reaction score
A fan blowing 120 degree F heat over a hot device will barely cool it. All you have done is turn a conventional oven into a convection oven. Need to relocate it or bring cool air in from below.

A thermo should kick on at 90-95 deg F. At 80F it will run nearly 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro