Audio not being pass thru Foscam cameras

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went thru the native Foscam interface menus, they don't offer audio codec options.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI, in the future avoid foscams like the plague..

ondesic

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I really like foscam cameras. I have 13 and have rarely had any problems. I have had the same foscam audio problems with blueiris for years. I can hear audio but can't speak through the camera BUT ONLY with Blueiris.
I have contacted the developer multiple times but he has never been able to fix this.

After years of testing I am convinced the problem is not foscam. Download the official foscam phone app. I can hear AND speak perfectly through this app. There is some setting or file that blueiris is missing. I hope the developer figures it out because I like blueiris for everything else.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the video stream has audio embedded; audio output is pretty much always non-standard and has to go through a completely different channel.

some systems use voip (sip), others fire up a side channel that only works with there own app.. hrmm, wonder what foscam is using.

had you ever got your hands on a commercial grade video camera you'd realize how crap foscam is; but if all you've ever used is foscam then your opinion has no value on these boards.

commercial cameras support industry standards and that means they usually work very well with 3rd party implementations like blueiris; consumer cameras are designed to lock you down to only their services, your lucky if they work at all with 3rd party implementations.

Last edited:

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I just paid for premium support for a year because I assumed it was something they could remote in and resolve.
Foscam is not the best camera, I get it, but at the same time it has a pretty large base of customers. The only reason I went to Blue Iris was because Foscam was partners with them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I really like foscam cameras. I have 13 and have rarely had any problems. I have had the same foscam audio problems with blueiris for years. I can hear audio but can't speak through the camera BUT ONLY with Blueiris.
I have contacted the developer multiple times but he has never been able to fix this.

After years of testing I am convinced the problem is not foscam. Download the official foscam phone app. I can hear AND speak perfectly through this app. There is some setting or file that blueiris is missing. I hope the developer figures it out because I like blueiris for everything else.
the propriety apps made by foscam use non
Well I just paid for premium support for a year because I assumed it was something they could remote in and resolve.
Foscam is not the best camera, I get it, but at the same time it has a pretty large base of customers. The only reason I went to Blue Iris was because Foscam was partners with them.
Foscam was never partners with blue iris... They simply repackaged the software.. Foscam is and has always been garbage...

ondesic

n3wb
Reaction score
Luckily I have compared foscam cameras to "commercial grade" cameras and even the owner has commented on the higher quality of foscam. Of course I am not talking about their $69 entry level cameras. I am speaking of their $200,$300 cameras which I use.
Lumping all foscam cameras into one doesn't help the OP. The OP wanted help with blueiris. Blueiris doesn't use all industry standards as well. This doesn't make blueiris crap. We just want to know if anyone has found a fix for blueiris and audio through.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Luckily I have compared foscam cameras to "commercial grade" cameras and even the owner has commented on the higher quality of foscam. Of course I am not talking about their $69 entry level cameras. I am speaking of their $200,$300 cameras which I use.
Lumping all foscam cameras into one doesn't help the OP. The OP wanted help with blueiris. Blueiris doesn't use all industry standards as well. This doesn't make blueiris crap. We just want to know if anyone has found a fix for blueiris and audio through.
That's simply false information unless you are comparing Foscam to 10 year old cameras or analog cameras... Foscam has been known to be low quality and have security issues that are unacceptable...It is evident that you are clueless about the IP camera market...

ondesic

n3wb
Reaction score
Personal attacks from a "Staff Member"? I have never in 10 years had a security issue with foscam BECAUSE I update my firmware when I am supposed to. As a business owner with cameras I have seen many of the latest ip cams. Please tell me the camera brands, and better yet, models that are so much better than foscam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Personal attacks from a "Staff Member"? I have never in 10 years had a security issue with foscam BECAUSE I update my firmware when I am supposed to. As a business owner with cameras I have seen many of the latest ip cams. Please tell me the camera brands, and better yet, models that are so much better than foscam.
This admin and founder will ATTACK liars such as yourself. Stop misleading. Foscam is low end garbage and does not come close to commercial grade cameras. Foscam is a toy..like I said you falsely compared foscam to old analog vga cameras. Well, fucking duh. The image in a 720p/1080p camera will be better than any vga camera. Dont lie on this website. You will be called out on it immediately. This is NOT an internet safe space. We are NOT politically correct. If you have a problem with hard truths I suggest you leave and dont let the door hit you on the way out. Otherwise, take some time and LEARN from others on this site who actually have experience in this field.
Foscam cameras had a security flaw where they were sending out data to outside servers even with p2p DISABLED. There were many others but this one was particularly bad because even if you used something like blue iris, you camera was sending out the info unless you blocked internet access to it. You did have a security flaw, likely still have it, its just that you are too technically inept to know it.
You want better cameras, look at dahua and hikvision. You are an amateur please dont mislead forum members.
Side note, this forum was started because others would ban folks when they pointed out that their foscams were junk. Foscam was distributed in the US by foscam digital technologies. This year, they abandoned support for the customers and stated selling under the amcrest name (rebranded dahua). Then it appears like the again started selling foscams under the FDT brand. Bunch of scammers.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As a business owner with cameras I have seen many of the latest ip cams. Please tell me the camera brands, and better yet, models that are so much better than foscam.
As someone who worked installing CCTV Cameras for large international theme parks, I know Ive seen and used alot more cameras than you.. and this sub $200 will kick the living crap out of every foscam you've ever seen: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

ondesic

n3wb
Reaction score
"The image in a 720p/1080p camera will be better than any vga camera. Dont lie on this website."
What? You are assuming I have VGA cameras, which I don't. 720p and 960p. Have you even looked at their inventory lately? They have even greater than 1080p cameras (1440p). I continue to remind you that I am speaking of their higher end cameras.

"You did have a security flaw, likely still have it, its just that you are too technically inept to know it. You want better cameras, look at dahua and hikvision."
Inept? Were you even aware of the huge security flaws that existed for years with hikvision? Just one example: ADI Refuses to Fix Their OEM'd Hikvision Security Risks [Solved]. Just search hikvision security issues. There are many hits relating to their cameras and DVRs.
In my posts I have said "I like foscam" and that I and other business owners have compared cameras and they were impressed by the features of my high-end HD foscam cameras. How is that lying?

Regardless, it doesn't matter. Though you are "NOT politically correct", this is your forum. You can preach what you want.
Merry Christmas

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"The image in a 720p/1080p camera will be better than any vga camera. Dont lie on this website."
What? You are assuming I have VGA cameras, which I don't. 720p and 960p. Have you even looked at their inventory lately? They have even greater than 1080p cameras (1440p). I continue to remind you that I am speaking of their higher end cameras.

"You did have a security flaw, likely still have it, its just that you are too technically inept to know it. You want better cameras, look at dahua and hikvision."
Inept? Were you even aware of the huge security flaws that existed for years with hikvision? Just one example: ADI Refuses to Fix Their OEM'd Hikvision Security Risks [Solved]. Just search hikvision security issues. There are many hits relating to their cameras and DVRs.
In my posts I have said "I like foscam" and that I and other business owners have compared cameras and they were impressed by the features of my high-end HD foscam cameras. How is that lying?

Regardless, it doesn't matter. Though you are "NOT politically correct", this is your forum. You can preach what you want.
Merry Christmas
No i am not assuming you have vga cameras. I am stating that if you believe foscam has a better image than commercial grade cameras you MUST be comparing them to vga. Higher megapixel DOES not mean better image or higher grade - another amateur mistake.
You mention the security flaws in dahua/hikvison and that shows you COMPLETELY missed what I said. Those flaws were ONLY exposed if the camera was port forwarded to the internet (only a complete idiot would port forward a camera). The Foscam flaw is much much worse because it doesnt require port forwarding, even with p2p DISABLED it broadcast.
You could NOT have compared foscam to quality cameras. You were either duped by a salesman or fake amazon reviews. Sad. Stop misleading the users here. It is evident that you have ZERO experience in this field and are completely clueless.

Squirrelly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fenderman this is the same problem I was having. Wild Goose chase. It sounds like it isn't support by Blue Iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman this is the same problem I was having. Wild Goose chase. It sounds like it isn't support by Blue Iris.
It is...You have an audio setting incorrect somewhere in blue iris or pc..... What exact version of bi are you running..follow the instructions in the other post.
for example here is an ethernet version of the same camera working.
No Audio when using Foscam FI9821E

Squirrelly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can get audio to work, but I can't get the microphone to work. It's is used for when I say something into the iPhone app with the microphone light turned on, it comes out of the speaker on the camera. It works with LiveCams Pro so I can use it but I wonder why there is a microphone on the Blue Iris iPhone app but it doesn't work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can get audio to work, but I can't get the microphone to work. It's is used for when I say something into the iPhone app with the microphone light turned on, it comes out of the speaker on the camera. It works with LiveCams Pro so I can use it but I wonder why there is a microphone on the Blue Iris iPhone app but it doesn't work?
ok, uncheck "setup rtsp backchannel for talk support" in video>configuration.