Axis vs Dahua

jchinny

n3wb
Reaction score
All, I apologize I know this thread has come up quite a bit but didn’t seem to see one that helped with my question.

I’m trying to choose a camera platform for my home. We’ve had an unfortunate life event that’s driving this and due to past experiences I’m somewhat biased and need some more perspectives.

I’ve used Axis Cameras and NVRs in past and they’ve been pretty solid. However they do come with a premium. Most of the installers I’ve come across are Hikvision or Dahua.

Seeing as I’ll need this platform to help me identify trends and provide warnings fairly reliably I was wondering if I need to get off my high horse on the Axis gear or if I need to stick to my guns and the premium and go Axis.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All, I apologize I know this thread has come up quite a bit but didn’t seem to see one that helped with my question.

I’m trying to choose a camera platform for my home. We’ve had an unfortunate life event that’s driving this and due to past experiences I’m somewhat biased and need some more perspectives.

I’ve used Axis Cameras and NVRs in past and they’ve been pretty solid. However they do come with a premium. Most of the installers I’ve come across are Hikvision or Dahua.

Seeing as I’ll need this platform to help me identify trends and provide warnings fairly reliably I was wondering if I need to get off my high horse on the Axis gear or if I need to stick to my guns and the premium and go Axis.
Welcome @jchinny

Most abled and willing homeowners can DIY install. So feel free to choose what works best for yourself.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most of the installers I’ve come across are Hikvision or Dahua.
Most installers are also not installing the good gear either, usually to make their prices more attractive to the home market.

That's pretty vague. What exactly do you want this thing to do? Are you handy? Are you physically able to pull cable? Do you want something you might need to spend a little time setting up yourself, or are you happy to pay to have an all in one out of the box solution.

A lot of us here are running AI and ANPR/ALPR via freeware platforms attached to Blue Iris on relatively cheap, often second hand windows boxes. Dahua makes cams and NVR's with AI, Facial Recognition and ANPR out of the box, but there is a premium. What do you need your VMS to do?

Reaction score
I started with axis cameras but I have switched to all Hikvision or Dahua.
the only reason I would consider using Axis again is if I had to be able to testify in court that I saw a weapon and my life depended on it, having said that one of my neighbor's home was burglarized and the sheriff requested to have a look at my cameras so they sent a forensic guy over to view the videos from that day he he way the quaility was excellent and he could easily get a conviction on it based on the details in the video

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I started with axis cameras but I have switched to all Hikvision or Dahua.
the only reason I would consider using Axis again is if I had to be able to testify in court that I saw a weapon and my life depended on it, having said that one of my neighbor's home was burglarized and the sheriff requested to have a look at my cameras so they sent a forensic guy over to view the videos from that day he he way the quaility was excellent and he could easily get a conviction on it based on the details in the video
I think half the problem is perception because both Dahua and Hik make cheap cameras targeted at the very price sensitive home market whereas Axis only does premium priced cameras. When people think of Dahua or Hik they think of these cheap cameras and associate the quality of the cheap cameras with the entire brand. We all know that both Dahua and Hik make cameras that are very much premium with price tags to match if you are willing to spend the coin, but that isn't the perception. I think Axis will further cement that image as a premium brand now that all chinese camera's are banned from government and government contractor use.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
According to an article I read recently on IPVM, Axis is losing some of its shine with installers and clients. Price is a problem and their features arent keeping up. They no longer dominate like they once did.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got Dahua and Axis on my house.
Dahua does what it needs to for a home scenario. But the Axis camera has a far superior image quality and administration.

According to an article I read recently on IPVM, Axis is losing some of its shine with installers and clients. Price is a problem and their features arent keeping up.
Exactly what I think now I've tried both. Axis is appealing but you're paying for a brand name.

Parts of me want to completely rip Dahua out (and never use Hik/Uniview). This is down to these Chinese companies human rights abuse. Supposedly Axis tried to get into the China market so I don't have much confidence in them either...
Dahua and Hikvision are large players in IP cameras, there's not much else at a reasonable price. I find it a sad time to have two dominant companies leading surveillance and abusing human rights in China.