Back up Instantly during an alarm event or trigger event?

SVDTiger

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to instantly backup clips for Blue Iris if let's say it picks up a trigger or if let's say your home alarm goes off? The backup method would be a remote FTP site. Right now I have everything backing up to a local FTP drive within the same home, I'd like to set something up that it back ups my clips/video on to a net FTP site.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to instantly backup clips for Blue Iris if let's say it picks up a trigger or if let's say your home alarm goes off? The backup method would be a remote FTP site. Right now I have everything backing up to a local FTP drive within the same home, I'd like to set something up that it back ups my clips/video on to a net FTP site.
Welcome to the forum. You cant trigger a backup, but you can set it up the same way you do now so it automatically backs up to ftp at a remote location.

SVDTiger

n3wb
Reaction score
I think this would be a good feature for BI to add in their future software version/updates. Let's say your house went on fire and everything was being backed up locally or your footage only backs up at certain times and not at that moment, you lose all footage because now your local back up is in flames and it will be hard to conduct an investigation. At least with instant back ups like for emergencies of if you program it somehow (like burglaries or break ins where the criminal asks you to hand over the footage or delete them) or because of fires, you can have this footage immediately backed up on a remote site so you can cooperate with law enforcement in the aftermath

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think this would be a good feature for BI to add in their future software version/updates. Let's say your house went on fire and everything was being backed up locally or your footage only backs up at certain times and not at that moment, you lose all footage because now your local back up is in flames and it will be hard to conduct an investigation. At least with instant back ups like for emergencies of if you program it somehow (like burglaries or break ins where the criminal asks you to hand over the footage or delete them) or because of fires, you can have this footage immediately backed up on a remote site so you can cooperate with law enforcement in the aftermath
Blue iris can already instantly backup to ftp. You simply disable combine and cut and as soon as the trigger ends the file should upload (i dont use this function but that is how i believe it works). What I meant was that you cannot trigger a backup based on an outside alarm. (you can always suggest this to the developer but you will need added gear for your bi machine to communicate with your alarm).
No criminal is looking for a network drive in the house. You can even have BI record to the network drive at the same time it records to the local drive. Fires are extremely rare, you have a better change of winning the lotto.
If you get to this level of paranoia, then suppose they cut your internet line, now you have no remote storage. 4glte backup for your router? You can go on forever...its not worth it.

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I meant was that you cannot trigger a backup based on an outside alarm. (you can always suggest this to the developer but you will need added gear for your bi machine to communicate with your alarm).
EnvisaLink came to my mind when reading that sentence. It's a neat product (attached to your alarm system and to your router) that exposes API which can be used to get the status of an alarm (and even triggered zone). It also sends an email when an alarm is triggered (with zone information).

Imagine Blue Iris using this information to do certain tasks like:
- backup of a certain camera-feed positioned at the triggered zone during the alarm trigger.
- increasing the resolution/bitrate or motion sensitivity during an alarm-trigger.
- activating patrol-mode on PTZ-camera's during an alarm trigger.
- emailing images or temporary/limited BI accounts to the neighbours so they can login and see what's going on through BI.

It would be a wonderful collaborating system!

But fenderman is right that the whole system will fall once the network cable (or telephone cable incase of ADSL) is cut by the burglar...
Burglars tend to get smarter/technical though and have a 'skill' of recognizing and taking all that is valuable/electronic (including a fancy looking network drive).

Last edited by a moderator: