Back with nagging network problem!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I came home yesterday and one pc was off line stating ip address conflict... Today I notice my other router that is used as a access point in barn needed a reboot, then all the camera's showed up in blue iris. I am wondering if that barn router could be bad, set up wrong, i could have a ip address conflict some where.. How do i start to eliminate problems? i am using DCHP mode in router,.. If i left out information that is needed to help Lmk
Are you saying that you have DHCP enabled the router that is just being used as an access point? If so you need to turn of the dhcp on the access point.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometimes light network equipment gets "hung up" after prolonged activity and a reboot. Is this the first time this happens? Any localized power glitches? Barn? Entire property? Are you using static addresses for any network devices at all? For stability and ease of troubleshooting I prefer to assign an address to every static / wired device. Even though their address may rarely change, sometimes conflicts happens, and it just makes tapping into a numbered device easier than guessing or knocking on the wrong door.
Is this the first time this happens? No Happening for awhile but less often
Any localized power glitches? not that i know of
Barn? Entire property? Barn is where access point ,cams are mounted. home has pc with blue iris. BI loses feed then i Know i have to reset barn router,access point
Are you using static addresses for any network devices at all? No only on ip camera's

Are you saying that you have DHCP enabled the router that is just being used as an access point? If so you need to turn of the dhcp on the access point.
Possible i will have to check.

I did set ip to 192.168.1.2 for second router.. is that correct? And not 192.168.2.1

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You do not want dhcp enabled on the second router / ap.

If it were me, I'd give the blue iris computer and the router running as access point both a static ip address (if it doesn't have one already), make sure that the camera group of IPs is separated out from the dhcp group. I split hardwired gear up in blocks/groups of ten by category or type (access points, nasses, printers, pcs, macs, cameras, ...), then leave dhcp above .50 or .100, whatever you are comfortable with. That way things stay out of each other's hair. Using that separation model, and going pretty much all wired with static lan IP, the only IP conflicts I run into is that once in a while a mobile device that has been dormant wakes up complains the ip it last had, has been taken.

So, if your router is 192.168.1.1 then give the router ap 192.168.1.2
Or if 192.168.0.1 then give the barn thing 192.168.0.2

Only change the last segment to a number between 2-254.

If you still get that router ap acting up, it could just be the thing locking up after prolonged traffic, or the firmware? Maybe it is due for replacement. Or an auto reset power switch that will cycle it for you if it loses internet access.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ditto, sounds like you got 2 DHCP servers running and that causes all kinds of problems.

your going to basically use your Access point as a little switch and WiFi, it dont need any routing services running.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you appreciate the help. I am going to check and see whats going on.etc. Set up static ip's Also I was thinking of flashing the Merlin firmware into the asus.

I did have DHCP disabled.Is there any other setting I may have missed to make it a wireless access point?

Last edited:

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking of starting a new post on the asus setup but figure i would continue here.
I finally received the new/replacement asus rt-66u router. During the time it was out i was reviewing optional firmware. I have flashed the router with Merlin 376.47.
With the ip conflict i have been having . i was thinking of setting all the hard wired pc,camers and access points over a certain range. using dchp for any wireless device. then i found this video .
I was thought i had to go into each pc first to assign the ip. What way would you recommend?