Back with nagging network problem!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its almost never worth filling a homeowners claim for less that 15-20k. Not only will your rates go up, but you wont be able to competitively shop for insurance for at least another 5 years. You need to think about it as catastrophic insurance.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There too frequently are RMA issues with vendors, without even dealing with electrical overload. As Nayr said, what you have is not a manufacturing issue. Between tech support hold time, going through tier one outsourced troubleshooting before getting the rma authorization, packing up the thing, paying for shipping, waiting 1-2weeks for replacement, ... it takes a fair bit of investment.

I've had stuff returned to me unrepaired or with other issues than what I sent it in for. One time I did three RMAs back to back on one a laptop; three week turnaround, issue was solely incompetent techs, as I could fix it myself, but would lose warranty, ... then declared a lemon, got pro-rated 2/3 of price back.

So anyway, I was just genuinely wishing you good luck with the rma.

As far as insurance claim. One has to value a claim on the insurance policy vs going through the process, cost of replaced materials, cost of deductible. We have a high deductible as well. I scratch my heaed when I hear a neighbors say they'll get the insurance involved for something that's 500 bucks. One time somebody drove into a neighbor's dry stacked stone wall that was a bit ramshackle to begin with ... I'm going to make a claim and get the insurance to fix this. (two hours of restacking at the most and it is fixed) Better save the two allowed claims for something more important.

Anyway. It sucks to lose a bunch of stuff. (I lost my sprinkler system in FL last year due to a nearby strike, haven't replaced it yet) Besides the things nayr proposed to isolate external stuff you wire up, it may also be wothwhile to look at professional surge arresting, if lightning is common in your area, or if you live somewhere exposed like the farmhouse on top of the hill ype thing, ... Spikes on the roof, whole house surge arrestor.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its almost never worth filling a homeowners claim for less that 15-20k. Not only will your rates go up, but you wont be able to competitively shop for insurance for at least another 5 years. You need to think about it as catastrophic insurance.
Seconded. It has to be a very significant loss before it is wothwhile to make a claim, where you need pros to come in for damage repair, roof, structural work, remediation, electrical, plumbing, ...

We had a hurricane tear through the neigborhood, a fair amount of roof and water damage. I made a claim. Long story short, after them giving me the finger that water inside was "surface water", lots of sudden excluded items (fine print) - mind you we have hurricane coverage - minimizing personal belongings and lots of pro-rations on personal items, roof, etc. nickel and diming. I'm sure there's quotas and strict policy to after major events ... but in no way shape or form was I trying to take advantage of any kind. Like many thousands of people we had hurricane damage. Period. I ended up with a check for probably 1/3rd of the loss and repairs. They were the easiest on the receipts for the temporary repairs and remediation I did the following days. Anyhow. It was my first incident and it gave me a whole new perspective on insurance and adjusters ... Like a good neighbor ...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The triple D's of insurance, Deny, Disclaim, Defend.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hadn't heard that one yet.

It sure was a learning experience for me, as the first member in the family going through something like that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its unfortunate, i see this every day. Home, auto, health, its all the same crap. Everything is fine and dandy until you make a claim.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do'nt even Talk about health care!!! I am swimming in deductible debit!! This is my health insurance as stated "catastrophic insurance" So thought on a replacement router? I Would like something that has good parental controls.. I did like the RTn66u for that.. I could set times and mac address to block.. It really ran hot to touch for some reason

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right. I don't even want to express how health insurance has self employed individuals and small businesses by the balls, excuse the expression. Premiums for catastrophic / high deductible coverage that are higher than average monthly wages in other civilized nations.

Anyhow. I haven't dealt much with parental controls.

This may give some ideas:
http://www.howtogeek.com/167545/4-ways-to-set-up-parental-controls-on-your-home-network/?PageSpeed=noscript
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2430313,00.asp
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2082232/revealed-the-best-and-worst-802-11ac-wi-fi-routers-of-2013.html

... but then you can get into nitty gritty specs till you turn blue.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

Personally used to love linksys, then after some issues moved onto dlink, then onto engenius. They all have their strong and weak spots. And, I guess for pretty much all of them, what you buy is what you get. Good luck getting new firmware to overcome issues, on all but the most popular routers in the world. There's a big push to sell new hardware every couple years.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My download speed is 38 up load 10.. I am paying for 100mbs .. Comcast is telling me because i have 5 pc hooked in that is causing my slow speeds.. True? Is my old linksys wrt54gs causing this?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bullocks. Doesn't matter if you have one computer or ten or twenty, as long as they're idle when you do a speedtest.

Of course the modem and router capabilities come into play, and yes, your wrt54 is not going to give you the benefits of the available speed.

See the following ranking, and look in the 50 meg range:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?option=com_chart&Itemid=167&chart=119&farchive=off

But even with the fastest router, very often / nearly always (?) the ISP promises a certain speed "up to" ... which typically means the line from the house to their nearest node. With Your Mileage May Vary etc clauses.

One way to determine if the router is the bottleneck, is to just hook up one computer to the modem via ethernet and power cycle them both. Then do a speed test. See what you get.

Also, your provider may have their own mini speedtest site. My provider does in the format of speedtest.provider.net. Magically I get the promised speed. Beyond them to any university or other test site in the state, and beyond, things start to drop off.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tryed hooking the one pc to the cisco modem and could not connect something about ip not found.. I know with the Asus router I had those speeds.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am paying for 100mbs ..Is my old linksys wrt54gs causing this?
Yes, you got 100MBit internet.. you need a router capable of achieving those speeds... WRT54GS is not a 100Mbit router by any stretch, simply not fast enough to route packets that quickly.... almost nobody had 100Mbit internet when that device was created.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! We will see how warranty is with Asus. Received my RMA number sending out tomorrow!!

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Back with a question.. I am useing the WRT54GS in the barn as an access point wireless for laptops and wired for my 4 hiki cameras.. I am better off dumping this router or just buy a poe switch for camera then hook that router in to it?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you dont expect to get your 100Mbit internet speeds via wireless in the barn then it would be fine.. other words id get a PoE switch and at least a 802.11N Access Point (maby PoE!) or 802.11AC if you want to be able to max out internet via wireless.. check out Ubiquiti's UniFi wireless kit.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not to worried about wireless speeds in barn . I only occasionally use it when flashing a car's pcm. Does the hikvision ds-2032 camera's support gb speeds? If so then I would consider upgrading the network in barn

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no individual IP camera needs or uses Gigabit speeds, but enough of them combined could exceed 100Mbit.. each of my HD cameras uses roughly 8-10Mbit, so if you had >10 cameras in the barn you'd need a Gigabit uplink back to your NVR.

Last edited by a moderator:

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok then there is no sense to upgrade. I only have 5 total cams out there. I will save the money and by a ssd!

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I came home yesterday and one pc was off line stating ip address conflict... Today I notice my other router that is used as a access point in barn needed a reboot, then all the camera's showed up in blue iris. I am wondering if that barn router could be bad, set up wrong, i could have a ip address conflict some where.. How do i start to eliminate problems? i am using DCHP mode in router,.. If i left out information that is needed to help Lmk

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometimes light network equipment gets "hung up" after prolonged activity and a reboot.

Is this the first time this happens?
Any localized power glitches? Barn? Entire property?
Are you using static addresses for any network devices at all?

For stability and ease of troubleshooting I prefer to assign an address to every static / wired device. Even though their address may rarely change, sometimes conflicts happens, and it just makes tapping into a numbered device easier than guessing or knocking on the wrong door.