Bad experience with a Swann DVR8-4580G, looking for alternate recommendations for a outdoor CCTV system.

Reaction score
A few months ago we purchased a Swann DVR8-4580G DVR as well as some extra cameras for it. And for the last 2 months or so its been nothing but a huge headache, It seems to have no smart image detection on board so any sort of movement(shadows etc) seemed to set it off, only two of the 8 cameras are allowed to stream video to the cloud, the extra cameras we bought with it have lights but they dont apparently work with our model of DVR, the final straw was earlier today when the box just continually crashed and reset it self many times over(even after a factory reset). I could go on but its already becoming abit of a rant at this point sorry :p

This system is mainly intended for my parents house and they arent the best with technology so im going to set it up for them however my knowledge of CCTV systems is generally limited to this Swann one and a few cheap cameras that have been streamed through blue iris and tiny cam, so im hoping to get some recommendations about which systems I should look into. We live in a area where there are going to be lots of potential false alarms, trees, pets, a trainline.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A DVR used COAX cables.
A NVR use rj45 ethernet cables.

DVR cameras normally do not have much smarts in them, the DVR can do some processing, but is limited in its processing power.

I would suggest changing to a NVR and IP cameras. Some IP cameras have a lot of smarts built into them.
My major suggestion is to stay with a major brand like Dahua or Hikvision.
Stay with the same manufacture for the NVR and the cameras. if you mix camera and NVR manufactures you will lose functionality.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.
Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

Reaction score
@SouthernYankee Thanks for guidance! ill look into the brands you mentioned as well as the links you posted, youre right we did end up rushing into it. I did look into seeing if it was possible to covert the analog cameras into ip so at least we could re use part of the old system but it seems the required encoders make it just easier/cheaper to buy a new system.