Basic Home Security

JayColap

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a security system for my home. I am thinking 5-6 cameras that I can view on my Iphone or Macbook when I away from home. I was reading the cliff notes and some of the Wiki posts and can respect how technical they are. I am not sure how far down the rabbit hole I need to go/want to go.

I was wondering if there is a resource or link to an all-in-one system that someone can recommend for a DIY'er looking to purchase a decent mid-range set-up, complete with camera's and NVR?

Thanks
JC

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Camera manufacturers — in their effort to simply things for rabbit-hole sensitive consumers — have made solutions which result in dangerous remote access practices. To a certain extent, one has to go down the rabbit-hole a bit to have a secure remote access system.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with loonet2ns

I use a two level defense.
1) an alarm system on the doors and windows, inside motion detectors (no cats or dogs) with two very loud sirens. alarm system do not give very many false alarms.
2) a camera system to determine what happened and who did it. Camera systems can generate a number of false alarms,

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a security system for my home. I am thinking 5-6 cameras that I can view on my Iphone or Macbook when I away from home. I was reading the cliff notes and some of the Wiki posts and can respect how technical they are. I am not sure how far down the rabbit hole I need to go/want to go.

I was wondering if there is a resource or link to an all-in-one system that someone can recommend for a DIY'er looking to purchase a decent mid-range set-up, complete with camera's and NVR?

Thanks
JC
Welcome @JayColap

imho:

A security camera system and security alarm system are 2 different beasts right now, so plan to get both.

IF you own your home do go with a wired security camera system as the core of any camera system.