Basic Questions in relation to a few common models and recommendations

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been using Shinobi for many years now with a decent number of some Chinese market Dahuas with very few issues. Due to stormy weather I've recently had a few go down and the replacements I chose weren't quite as satisfactory, so I'm reaching out here in hopes I could find something that is a bit of a better fit.

I wanted to address two points to start with: 1. Why are Chinese market cameras which are reflashed with English firmware typically so hated in here, and 2. What are the hot models of the present time?

1. I've read the wiki, and I've browsed various articles here over the years - I'm aware of the obvious answers in relation to why Chinese cameras are disliked. You don't always know what modifications are made to the cameras, they pose an additional security concern, they may not be up to spec with what was advertised, sometimes you can't update the firmware, and perhaps a few others. But here's the thing - Plenty of people run Chinese cameras without any notable problems whatsoever in regards to video quality and features, the cameras should have no networking access besides the NVR anyways, and so long as the camera functions as advertised, I'm not sure why I'd ever want to try to update their firmware. My personal experience has always been fine with them, but perhaps I've always just been lucky, or have always bought from decent enough sellers/models.

I'm not trying to start an argument about this point, but I want to actually understand the arguments against Chinese cameras. I get that for some people it's just a safer play to buy from someone like Andy where you know for sure what you'll get, but other than that, I'd like to know and understand the reasoning behind this. To be completely clear, I'm just looking for an educational explanation on this point, thank you.

2. All of my previous models up until late have been pretty small in terms of sensor size, with a 1/2.8" sensor being the standard size. I was recently hoping to get my hands on larger sensors without completely breaking the bank. I know Dahua has some, "starlight" models that people seem to like, and in particular I think it's the 5443 model that is mentioned frequently (please correct me if I'm wrong), and I think the 6MP version is getting some attention as well as of late. Both of these are on a 1/1.8" sensor, I think?

Outside of, "the" starlight from Dahua, I couldn't find too many larger sensor models from Dahua. I did find a few from Hikvision, and I found a little bit of info on them from here, but not much.

Here's a few:
DS-2CD2347G2-LU
IPDS-2CD2386G2-IU
DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL
DS-2CD2347G1-LU
DS-2CD2385G1-I
DS-2CD2386G2-IU

Most, if not all, of these are 1/1.8" sensor sizes, so definitely a lot better than 1/2.8". I thought one of these was a 1/1.2" but I can't seem to find whatever model it was that I'm thinking of.

Now I get it, don't chase the Megapixels, sensor size is the priority and yadda yadda, but that doesn't inherently make megapixels bad. A lot of my cameras are looking at fairly well lit areas, and the ones that aren't have typically done pretty well with the built in IR lighting (again, all Dahua models, so I'm not sure how this would compare to Hikvision) due to fairly close areas that they're covering. But here's my question - are any of these models considered, "good" from this forum? The only bad experience I have had with an IP camera first hand was with some el cheapos I was helping a friend with - they were marketed as 4k, and had an output of a 4k resolution, but they had so much noise, poor compression, and just generally all around bad quality even in daylight.

I get how for a given sensor size, you have so many individual light sensors that translate to the pixels in the camera's output, and thus how simple physics dictates that the more light sensors for a given area, there's less actual light for each sensor to use, but of course reality is a little more complicated than that. Different designs and engineering tricks can be used to help get more light on a sensor without increasing the sensor size, such as RYYB optical design, though I doubt something like that to be currently available in these cameras.

-----

So, that being said, I'm looking for a few models to pick from for two different purposes: Some of my camera areas are very well lit, and some aren't.

1. Would it be worthwhile to get a quality 8MP camera for my well lit areas, such as perhaps one of the above models?
  2. And are there any decent 6MP models with 1/1.8" sensors that would work for fairly low light, or am I just looking at 4MP at this sensor size?
  3. Is there ever a situation to not use IR from a camera like this in low light? In other words, if I had say a 2MP 1.8" sensor, would it ever be better to run that camera without IR as opposed to with IR, despite the low light?
  4. Any other models that would be good to recommend to me, with a budget of ~100-150 per camera (open to Chinese resells, at least without a reason that makes sense to me against this)
  5. Any general advice or recommendations for me?

Thank you all so much! I appreciate this a lot.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't chase megapixels. A 4MP camera on a 1/1.8" sensor will run rings around a 6MP camera with that same sensor. That's simple physics because the available light getting to the sensor will be distributed over more pixels, IE less light to each pixel, when compared to the 4MP. There is no sensor size, that I'm aware of, between the 1/1.8 and the 1/2" for a decent 6MP with good night performance.

The best approach is to buy one good varifocal and test every location with it, both day and night, to determine the appropriate focal length required and if the camera will provide the day and night results you want.

There are 2MP, 1/1.8" sensor cameras but they are specialized and rather high in cost compared to the "generic" 1/2.8" sensor models. I use auxiliary IR lighting to fill in and to provide frontal illumination of areas where potential targets may appear. I rarely use built-in IR just to reduce the bug and spider web problems.

Some larger sensor Dahua models for you in the $150-$225 each range -

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

All cameras are a security concern, hacked Chinese firmware or with native International firmware. It's best to keep them either on a segregated VLAN with no internet access or on a second NIC, VMS or NVR.

The hacked firmware cameras aren't like for a few reasons -
1- There's no telling what was changed, removed or added, as in back doors.
2- If you try to upgrade that firmware you usually end up with a brick.

Reaction score
Don't chase megapixels. A 4MP camera on a 1/1.8" sensor will run rings around a 6MP camera with that same sensor. That's simple physics because the available light getting to the sensor will be distributed over more pixels, IE less light to each pixel, when compared to the 4MP. There is no sensor size, that I'm aware of, between the 1/1.8 and the 1/2" for a decent 6MP with good night performance.

The best approach is to buy one good varifocal and test every location with it, both day and night, to determine the appropriate focal length required and if the camera will provide the day and night results you want.

There are 2MP, 1/1.8" sensor cameras but they are specialized and rather high in cost compared to the "generic" 1/2.8" sensor models. I use auxiliary IR lighting to fill in and to provide frontal illumination of areas where potential targets may appear. I rarely use built-in IR just to reduce the bug and spider web problems.

Some larger sensor Dahua models for you in the $150-$225 each range -

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

All cameras are a security concern, hacked Chinese firmware or with native International firmware. It's best to keep them either on a segregated VLAN with no internet access or on a second NIC, VMS or NVR.

The hacked firmware cameras aren't like for a few reasons -
1- There's no telling what was changed, removed or added, as in back doors.
2- If you try to upgrade that firmware you usually end up with a brick.
I appreciate your response, and I don't mean to be rude, but it comes across as if you didn't read very much of my post.

As I've stated, I'm not new to IP cameras as a whole, and I have been running a small variety of cameras for several years. I asked quite a few questions that weren't really addressed here, and your response reads like a generic copy paste message which explicitly ignores a few things I have already brought up.

For example, you gave the general response of, "That's simple physics because the available light getting to the sensor will be distributed over more pixels, IE less light to each pixel, when compared to the 4MP." despite the fact that I already touched on and inquired deeper into this topic already. I asked if this only matters for night use, or if it makes a significant difference in the day as well. You told me to ensure lack of network access to my cameras, which I have already addressed. You told me that Chinese cameras may have additional security concerns, which I have already addressed. You told me that Chinese cameras may not play nice with firmware updates, which I have already addressed and further inquired into. You told me to get a varifocal to better understand the needs of my camera locations, but I've stated that I have been running my cameras for years and have already properly researched camera placement and lenses.

Again, I do not mean to be ungrateful for your message and time, but I do believe my point stands in regards to this being a standard copy paste message that you use, with little to no actual reading of my post. I'm not really sure which of my questions you've answered here. I'm not trying to be hostile or a jerk in my response, and I hope that is clear to you.

Reaction score
but I do believe my point stands in regards to this being a standard copy paste message that you use,
So many of us here try our best to answer new member's questions, sometimes those questions come 4-5 times a day, and are very close to the ones you asked.

Forgive us if a specific 'answer' to your post does not address every aspect.

You gave several reasons why the gray market cams are not highly thought of. Personally, I do not 'need' more reasons. But one thing to think of is the ability to get help from the vendor or warranty support from the vendor. Plus the ability to get help from members of this forum. It is next to impossible for us to give help on a cam we have never used. If you have had good luck purchasing gray market cams from China, good for you. Buy from your trusted vendor and don't look back. If you get a similar spec'ed cam for a better price that does not cause you headache, that is a win.

As far as sensor size and large MP counts, again that is up to you. I always select the cam that has the appropriate specs for the job I want it to do. I am currently running 21 Dahua cams over 12 different models. Each have a job to do and they were chosen based on that job. I have no experience with the HIK cams so I cannot answer your HIK questions.

There is nothing wrong with getting a high MP cam as long as it will do the job that you define for it. I have a lot of artificial light at the front of my house and run all of those cams in color all night. I get great definition of people even with movement. I get info on clothing and vehicles from those cams, even at night. But none of them are more than 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor.

I think you know the answer most folks will give you for question #1. Most will say no. But I would say why do you ask that question? What will the 8MP give you? What will a 6MP give you? For what purpose?

Question #3- running in color gives you more useable info on the perp and his clothing. Most people see in color (even dogs do- contrary to popular belief) so seeing a video or still in B&W with IR glow is not as good as getting the same in color.

Right now I am partial to the Dahua 5442 models.

Hope this helps.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been using Shinobi for many years now with a decent number of some Chinese market Dahuas with very few issues. Due to stormy weather I've recently had a few go down and the replacements I chose weren't quite as satisfactory, so I'm reaching out here in hopes I could find something that is a bit of a better fit.

I wanted to address two points to start with: 1. Why are Chinese market cameras which are reflashed with English firmware typically so hated in here, and 2. What are the hot models of the present time?

1. I've read the wiki, and I've browsed various articles here over the years - I'm aware of the obvious answers in relation to why Chinese cameras are disliked. You don't always know what modifications are made to the cameras, they pose an additional security concern, they may not be up to spec with what was advertised, sometimes you can't update the firmware, and perhaps a few others. But here's the thing - Plenty of people run Chinese cameras without any notable problems whatsoever in regards to video quality and features, the cameras should have no networking access besides the NVR anyways, and so long as the camera functions as advertised, I'm not sure why I'd ever want to try to update their firmware. My personal experience has always been fine with them, but perhaps I've always just been lucky, or have always bought from decent enough sellers/models.

I'm not trying to start an argument about this point, but I want to actually understand the arguments against Chinese cameras. I get that for some people it's just a safer play to buy from someone like Andy where you know for sure what you'll get, but other than that, I'd like to know and understand the reasoning behind this. To be completely clear, I'm just looking for an educational explanation on this point, thank you.

2. All of my previous models up until late have been pretty small in terms of sensor size, with a 1/2.8" sensor being the standard size. I was recently hoping to get my hands on larger sensors without completely breaking the bank. I know Dahua has some, "starlight" models that people seem to like, and in particular I think it's the 5443 model that is mentioned frequently (please correct me if I'm wrong), and I think the 6MP version is getting some attention as well as of late. Both of these are on a 1/1.8" sensor, I think?

Outside of, "the" starlight from Dahua, I couldn't find too many larger sensor models from Dahua. I did find a few from Hikvision, and I found a little bit of info on them from here, but not much.

Here's a few:
DS-2CD2347G2-LU
IPDS-2CD2386G2-IU
DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL
DS-2CD2347G1-LU
DS-2CD2385G1-I
DS-2CD2386G2-IU

Most, if not all, of these are 1/1.8" sensor sizes, so definitely a lot better than 1/2.8". I thought one of these was a 1/1.2" but I can't seem to find whatever model it was that I'm thinking of.

Now I get it, don't chase the Megapixels, sensor size is the priority and yadda yadda, but that doesn't inherently make megapixels bad. A lot of my cameras are looking at fairly well lit areas, and the ones that aren't have typically done pretty well with the built in IR lighting (again, all Dahua models, so I'm not sure how this would compare to Hikvision) due to fairly close areas that they're covering. But here's my question - are any of these models considered, "good" from this forum? The only bad experience I have had with an IP camera first hand was with some el cheapos I was helping a friend with - they were marketed as 4k, and had an output of a 4k resolution, but they had so much noise, poor compression, and just generally all around bad quality even in daylight.

I get how for a given sensor size, you have so many individual light sensors that translate to the pixels in the camera's output, and thus how simple physics dictates that the more light sensors for a given area, there's less actual light for each sensor to use, but of course reality is a little more complicated than that. Different designs and engineering tricks can be used to help get more light on a sensor without increasing the sensor size, such as RYYB optical design, though I doubt something like that to be currently available in these cameras.

-----

So, that being said, I'm looking for a few models to pick from for two different purposes: Some of my camera areas are very well lit, and some aren't.

1. Would it be worthwhile to get a quality 8MP camera for my well lit areas, such as perhaps one of the above models?
  2. And are there any decent 6MP models with 1/1.8" sensors that would work for fairly low light, or am I just looking at 4MP at this sensor size?
  3. Is there ever a situation to not use IR from a camera like this in low light? In other words, if I had say a 2MP 1.8" sensor, would it ever be better to run that camera without IR as opposed to with IR, despite the low light?
  4. Any other models that would be good to recommend to me, with a budget of ~100-150 per camera (open to Chinese resells, at least without a reason that makes sense to me against this)
  5. Any general advice or recommendations for me?

Thank you all so much! I appreciate this a lot.
Welcome @artificialearthy

I'm going to just look at your 5 questions.. and give my quick take on them:

Would it be worthwhile to get a quality 8MP camera for my well lit areas, such as perhaps one of the above models? :
Get a 1/1.2" 8MP sensor model camera if you want a top quality low light image capture .. look for reviews here ..

And are there any decent 6MP models with 1/1.8" sensors that would work for fairly low light, or am I just looking at 4MP at this sensor size?:
No, for 1/1.8" go for the 4MP models .. for 1/1.2" if you want a 8MP model ..

Is there ever a situation to not use IR from a camera like this in low light? In other words, if I had say a 2MP 1.8" sensor, would it ever be better to run that camera without IR as opposed to with IR, despite the low light?
Do you want / need color information? Example: To identify someone? To identify a car's color? For most of us the answer is Yes.

Any other models that would be good to recommend to me, with a budget of ~100-150 per camera (open to Chinese resells, at least without a reason that makes sense to me against this)
Any general advice or recommendations for me?

Add more money to your budget, see the prior replies for models ..

Reaction score
So many of us here try our best to answer new member's questions, sometimes those questions come 4-5 times a day, and are very close to the ones you asked.

Forgive us if a specific 'answer' to your post does not address every aspect.

You gave several reasons why the gray market cams are not highly thought of. Personally, I do not 'need' more reasons. But one thing to think of is the ability to get help from the vendor or warranty support from the vendor. Plus the ability to get help from members of this forum. It is next to impossible for us to give help on a cam we have never used. If you have had good luck purchasing gray market cams from China, good for you. Buy from your trusted vendor and don't look back. If you get a similar spec'ed cam for a better price that does not cause you headache, that is a win.

As far as sensor size and large MP counts, again that is up to you. I always select the cam that has the appropriate specs for the job I want it to do. I am currently running 21 Dahua cams over 12 different models. Each have a job to do and they were chosen based on that job. I have no experience with the HIK cams so I cannot answer your HIK questions.

There is nothing wrong with getting a high MP cam as long as it will do the job that you define for it. I have a lot of artificial light at the front of my house and run all of those cams in color all night. I get great definition of people even with movement. I get info on clothing and vehicles from those cams, even at night. But none of them are more than 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor.

I think you know the answer most folks will give you for question #1. Most will say no. But I would say why do you ask that question? What will the 8MP give you? What will a 6MP give you? For what purpose?

Question #3- running in color gives you more useable info on the perp and his clothing. Most people see in color (even dogs do- contrary to popular belief) so seeing a video or still in B&W with IR glow is not as good as getting the same in color.

Right now I am partial to the Dahua 5442 models.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for the response.

In regards to the new member questions - I totally get it and understand, but all the same that reality of forums doesn't make that specific comment any more relevant to my needs. Again, I want to be extremely explicit in the fact that I am not trying to be hostile over this in any conceivable way. I understand text does not convey message tone very well, so I just want to be absolutely clear with my intentions and that I am not being ungrateful.

___

In regards to the gray market, if my provided reasons as well as the lack of support are the limiting factor, then that is where I lose you. Again, not trying to argue the point, but just explaining my understanding: Security concerns aren't important to me since I already don't trust the cameras and restrict all network access to them directly, I don't understand why I'd ever want to update the firmware on the cameras (if they work and provide what they claim to provide, then what more do I want? Firmware for security updates which shouldn't matter anyways, as they have absolutely no routable path to a different network?), and I always try to buy one camera from a new vender and model before ordering the others, to ensure it's as advertised and so I don't lose a lot of money. Support is certainly a valid thing that I hadn't thought of, but the way I see it, even if I take a loss on 25% of my cameras I'm still saving money when compared to the, "full" price cameras by quite a lot. Perhaps I've just been lucky with these gray market cameras.

___

In regards to Question 1 and the purpose of higher resolutions: I think the purpose is clear, at least in theory. In theory, a higher resolution should provide more detail in all aspects of the camera and allow for better recognition at longer ranges. Of course, this is obviously more complicated in practice, and I do understand that the best real life solution for longer range clarity is always going to be an optical solution, be it with a different lens or a larger sensor. But, my question here mostly relates to how the types of cameras I provided as examples actually perform in the real world during daytime/well lit nighttime.

I certainly do not claim to be an expert on IP cameras, cinematography, optics, etc, so I'm mostly just trying to figure out how well 6MP or 8MP cameras with a 1/1.8" sensor (or other options) perform during the day. Will they have truly better resolution than a 4MP or 6MP respectively, or will they just contain noise and add no real definition to the video? I certainly understand that in dark night conditions (and even most lit night conditions I imagine), the smaller resolution will have a tremendous advantage at an equal sensor size, but how does this translate into daytime? I certainly know that cheap cameras are just noisy blobs and messes at high resolutions even under optimal conditions, but I'm not sure if the same would be true with a 1/1.8" Hikvision or Dahua camera.

I guess in other words, the question would be: During optimal daylight conditions with all variables but resolution being equal, is there ever a scenario where a 1/1.8" (or comparable option) sensor decent quality 2MP camera will outperform a 1/1.8" sensor decent quality 4MP camera? How about the same question but with 4 and 6 MP? 6 and 8?

___

So in question 3, are you able to see colors in low to no light conditions with for example the Dahua 5442 models? Some of my areas are decently lit, but others have very little artificial light at all, just star/moon light mostly - would be an option here, even on one of the best nighttime cameras such as the 5442? I get that in low to low-ish light that you'd be able to see colors better with something like a 5442, but at a certain point you obviously need some light in some way or another to see the person - Is there a real life situation where in a cloud covered dark night that it would be worse to be in color mode as opposed to IR mode specifically on a GREAT low light level model such as the 2MP and 4MP starlights like the 5442?

Thank you again for your help, I do appreciate it a lot.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I did read your post and it indicated you were missing that point entirely. Given that you asked if there was a good 6MP camera on a 1/1.8" sensor it seemed fairly clear that you did not understand the physics of the situation hence my explanation.

Reaction score
s there a real life situation where in a cloud covered dark night that it would be worse to be in color mode as opposed to IR mode specifically on a GREAT low light level model such as the 2MP and 4MP starlights like the 5442?
Of course there is. All cams need some light. At these prices (prosumer lines) you will not get cams that give great color video w/o motion blur in no light.

But here are some vid caps at night.
INTS.20220202_020623377.166.jpgINTS.20220202_021651207.169.jpgLPR-E.20220202_021650829.170.jpg The two in color are from the B5442E-Z4E and the one in B/W is from an HFW5241E-Z12E in IR mode for LPR. These guys hit some cars that night and I got the plate and a description of the car (red 2009 Toyota Corolla with spoiler on trunk) for the Deputy.

Here is a door checker that my old HDW5231R-ZE caught squatting at my JGC. I have since replaced this with a T5442. The other shot is from my across the street neighbor's Ring cam of the same guy.
4-15-2020 4-13-02am.jpgJims RING cam shot.JPG

I am not going to sit here and try and convince you to but one cam or another from one vendor or another. The choice is yours.

As far as updating firmware, I have only update firmware a few times on a couple of cams. New updates came out that added features that I found useful, also fixed some bugs. But most of my cams are on the firmware they came to me with. If it is not broken, don't fix it.

Reaction score
Of course there is. All cams need some light. At these prices (prosumer lines) you will not get cams that give great color video w/o motion blur in no light.

But here are some vid caps at night.
View attachment 118331View attachment 118332View attachment 118333 The two in color are from the B5442E-Z4E and the one in B/W is from an HFW5241E-Z12E in IR mode for LPR. These guys hit some cars that night and I got the plate and a description of the car (red 2009 Toyota Corolla with spoiler on trunk) for the Deputy.

Here is a door checker that my old HDW5231R-ZE caught squatting at my JGC. I have since replaced this with a T5442. The other shot is from my across the street neighbor's Ring cam of the same guy.
View attachment 118335View attachment 118336

I am not going to sit here and try and convince you to but one cam or another from one vendor or another. The choice is yours.

As far as updating firmware, I have only update firmware a few times on a couple of cams. New updates came out that added features that I found useful, also fixed some bugs. But most of my cams are on the firmware they came to me with. If it is not broken, don't fix it.
Thank you very much for the sample images. Would you agree that this was a moderately well lit area for night time footage, or is my sense of, "well lit at night" a bit off? For reference, the areas that I previously mentioned that are, "well lit" in my use case have quite better lighting than your street with the red Corolla thieves, I would say. That would again play back into my question of how exactly different resolutions will relate to my use case, since some of my cameras are always very well lit at night.

Since you brought it up, I have two cameras which focus on capturing license plates, but they are not configured for spitting out automatic LPR reading. I noticed you have yours in IR mode; Should night time LPR cameras always be configured for IR, or is color preferable even under low light conditions (when you have a proper camera for it; in other words, good in low light conditions) for the specific use case of LPR?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the sample images. Would you agree that this was a moderately well lit area for night time footage, or is my sense of, "well lit at night" a bit off? For reference, the areas that I previously mentioned that are, "well lit" in my use case have quite better lighting than your street with the red Corolla thieves, I would say. That would again play back into my question of how exactly different resolutions will relate to my use case, since some of my cameras are always very well lit at night.
Hi @artificialearthy

"That would again play back into my question of how exactly different resolutions will relate to my use case, since some of my cameras are always very well lit at night." - artificialearthy

It's more than "different resolutions" .. and none of us can really say what will work in your situation ..

Recommend taking some time and reviewing the links posted in post #2 ..

Reaction score
Would you agree that this was a moderately well lit area for night time footage
Yes, the first set (red Corolla) are fairly well lit. The driveway shot at the time was not as well lit as it is now. I upped the temp and lumens for the lights on the driveway and porch since that perp was there.

Should night time LPR cameras always be configured for IR
More or less, yes. For those of us here that run LPR, at night we almost exclusively run them fast and dirty, dirty being in full IR. You're looking for the plates to pop, reflect the IR back to the lens. That is why I have a different cam (B5442 Z4) covering the intersection in full color to give me all of the other info. IF the car is positioned well, and IF they have a fairly clean plate with a light, and IF they are not moving too fast, I can get a plate with that cam at night. We run them fast, like 1/2000 sec shutter, to freeze the motion. What that yields is a more or less black video with just the plate and head/tail lights showing.

If you are interested in LPR, see my threads below:

Reaction score
It's more than "different resolutions" .. and none of us can really say what will work in your situation ..
Nothing I am asking about is specific to my setup, other than the fact that I have given the premise of one camera will need to work in low light (like a Dahua 5442, which I have already picked out in my very first post...), and the other one will be in a well lit area. The other variables, such as lens size and placement, I have already determined many years ago.

The question I have been asking and have yet to have answered is in relation to how higher resolution options work in the daytime. You put, " different resolutions" in quotes as if what I am asking has not been clearly defined above multiple times. My question is very straightforward - Will higher resolutions under optimal conditions result in an actual improvement of resolution, or will it just add noise to the resulting video? If it doesn't add noise or otherwise impact the optimal daytime conditions, then a larger resolution would never be a bad thing. I don't understand what you're attempting to say here.

I have read the majority of the paste from that first reply long before I made an account and posted here - I made that abundantly clear in my original post by already bringing up all of those points myself, and inquiring for a more detailed explanation in the finer points. I didn't get any elaboration or explanation from that first reply. Again, I'm not trying to be hostile with any of this, but it's in plain English above for anyone to see. I wrote a very detailed post describing exactly what my understanding is, where I'm lacking in understanding, and what questions/problems I'm looking to solve. I tried to approach this in the best way I know how.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, the first set (red Corolla) are fairly well lit. The driveway shot at the time was not as well lit as it is now. I upped the temp and lumens for the lights on the driveway and porch since that perp was there.

More or less, yes. For those of us here that run LPR, at night we almost exclusively run them fast and dirty, dirty being in full IR. You're looking for the plates to pop, reflect the IR back to the lens. That is why I have a different cam (B5442 Z4) covering the intersection in full color to give me all of the other info. IF the car is positioned well, and IF they have a fairly clean plate with a light, and IF they are not moving too fast, I can get a plate with that cam at night. We run them fast, like 1/2000 sec shutter, to freeze the motion. What that yields is a more or less black video with just the plate and head/tail lights showing.

If you are interested in LPR, see my threads below:

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the links. I have read a few threads on here before about LPR, but my current setup has always treated me well. Without getting into specifics, I'm not dealing with very fast motion in regards to LPR - the one issue I have experienced was washing out the plate with too much IR light. I've yet to experiment with shutter timings or anything of that nature, though.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing I am asking about is specific to my setup, other than the fact that I have given the premise of one camera will need to work in low light (like a Dahua 5442, which I have already picked out in my very first post...), and the other one will be in a well lit area.

The question I have been repeatedly asking and have yet to have answered is in relation to how higher resolution options work in the daytime. You put, " different resolutions" in quotes as if what I am asking has not been clearly defined above multiple times. My question is very straightforward - Will higher resolutions under optimal conditions result in an actual improvement of resolution, or will it just add noise to the resulting video? If it doesn't add noise or otherwise impact the optimal daytime conditions, then a larger resolution would never be a bad thing. I don't understand what you're attempting to say here.

I have read the majority of the paste from that first reply long before I made an account and posted here - I made that abundantly clear in my original post by already bringing up all of those points myself, and inquiring for a more detailed explanation in the finer points. I didn't get any elaboration or explanation.
Hi @artificialearthy

Recommend you picking up a 1/1.2" 8MP camera and comparing it to the 5442 model you've picked up and sharing the info here with a review and sharing what you learn with others.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it comes down to getting the proper focal length for the distance you are trying to cover. In some instances that may be a 2MP camera....

A 2MP varifocal camera optically zoomed to a distance 65 feet will produce a better image of the subject at that distance than a 4K 2.8 or 3.6mm fixed lens will. Digital zooming only works in the movies and TV.

And of course sensor size comes into play. An 8MP camera on the same size sensor as the 2MP will not perform as well during the day and even worse at night.

You want to get a camera that performs well in its worse condition, which for most of us is the middle of the night when it is dark. Much easier to dial a camera in that performs well at night for daytime than vice versa.

You say you have a lot of light, but many people say that. It is subjective. I have 35,000 lumen radiating off my house and the cameras go into B/W if set to auto - I have to force them in color if I want color unless the field of view is within 15 feet of the lights.

The plate washout you have seen is because plates are reflective and you will need to run a faster shutter because the faster the shutter, the darker the image, but the better the ability to freeze frame.

But you compare a 2.8mm 4K/X camera to a 2.8mm 5442 camera at a subject 10 feet away, the 4K will be a better image. At 65 feet away, not as much difference and at night, even less of a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Will higher resolutions under optimal conditions result in an actual improvement of resolution, or will it just add noise to the resulting video?
All things being equal, in optimal conditions the higher resolution cam (at least a prosumer grade cam) will result in an actual improvement in video quality. If you take the 4MP and the 8MP video and display it on an appropriate monitor at the video's full resolution, to get the 4MP video blown up to the same size on screen as the 8MP video will require digital zoom. So yes, the 4MP will pixelate and not be as sharp as the 8MP.

BUT...

The 'all things being equal' part is the problem. It is the relationship of physical sensor size, number of pixels, and sensor sensitivity that makes 'being equal' hard to define. Then there is the processing that the cam does to the image via the firmware. I doubt that there is a 4MP sensor that has the same relative capabilities of another 8MP sensor. The more pixel you cram on a sensor, the less light each pixel gets. So you increase the physical size. But that also means the glass has to be different. And the sensitivity of each pixel is different. So if the 8MP sensor is not quite big enough to be 'equal' to the 4MP sensor, then there are processing that can be done to the signal. But just about all processing, like gain, adds noise.

As we almost always say here, we can theorize, or guess, until we are blue in the face. The only real way to tell is to test it, like @mat200 stated above.

I go back to my original point. Define what you need for a view and buy the cam that fits that need. If you have a technical need for 8MP, then buy it. Remember that an 8MP cam uses more bandwidth and storage than the 2MP or the 4MP cam. Way more.

Reaction score
Hi @artificialearthy

Recommend you picking up a 1/1.2" 8MP camera and comparing it to the 5442 model you've picked up and sharing the info here with a review and sharing what you learn with others.
So, I'm obviously here to ask questions before I make purchases. If my bank account and time were both endless, I obviously wouldn't have come here in the first place. I'm trying to learn from other's experiences and hear from others who have more experience and knowledge on the topic at hand, rather than act like I have all the answers myself. I don't see how telling me to figure it out on my own is helpful advice. It seems to defeat the purpose of a forum.

At the end of the day, it comes down to getting the proper focal length for the distance you are trying to cover. In some instances that may be a 2MP camera....

A 2MP varifocal camera optically zoomed to a distance 65 feet will produce a better image of the subject at that distance than a 4K 2.8 or 3.6mm fixed lens will. Digital zooming only works in the movies and TV.

And of course sensor size comes into play. An 8MP camera on the same size sensor as the 2MP will not perform as well during the day and even worse at night.

You want to get a camera that performs well in its worse condition, which for most of us is the middle of the night when it is dark. Much easier to dial a camera in that performs well at night for daytime than vice versa.

You say you have a lot of light, but many people say that. It is subjective. I have 35,000 lumen radiating off my house and the cameras go into B/W if set to auto - I have to force them in color if I want color unless the field of view is within 15 feet of the lights.

The plate washout you have seen is because plates are reflective and you will need to run a faster shutter because the faster the shutter, the darker the image, but the better the ability to freeze frame.

But you compare a 2.8mm 4K/X camera to a 2.8mm 5442 camera at a subject 10 feet away, the 4K will be a better image. At 65 feet away, not as much difference and at night, even less of a difference.
Again, I'm not trying to replace a traditional optical solution with a larger resolution. Most of my cameras are fairly close shots for their main purpose, and night shots are only relevant on a few of them, for which I plan to get an appropriate camera such as the 5442 or something comparable to it.

I also don't understand how light is subjective; Lux and lumens aren't opinions, they're quantifiable. I get that my setup isn't as bright at night as it is in the daytime, but that's not my goal nor necessary. I don't want to get into detailed specifics but I'm much more interested in daytime footage than nighttime for my use case. I'm aware of what my detailed use case demands, and my current cameras certainly aren't as good as something like the 5442 would be at night, but they're absolutely satisfactory.

But in regards to your following statement:

What do you mean by the 8MP not performing as well as the 2MP during daytime usage? Could you expand on that if you don't mind?

Thank you for the helpful comment.

All things being equal, in optimal conditions the higher resolution cam (at least a prosumer grade cam) will result in an actual improvement in video quality. If you take the 4MP and the 8MP video and display it on an appropriate monitor at the video's full resolution, to get the 4MP video blown up to the same size on screen as the 8MP video will require digital zoom. So yes, the 4MP will pixelate and not be as sharp as the 8MP.

BUT...

The 'all things being equal' part is the problem. It is the relationship of physical sensor size, number of pixels, and sensor sensitivity that makes 'being equal' hard to define. Then there is the processing that the cam does to the image via the firmware. I doubt that there is a 4MP sensor that has the same relative capabilities of another 8MP sensor. The more pixel you cram on a sensor, the less light each pixel gets. So you increase the physical size. But that also means the glass has to be different. And the sensitivity of each pixel is different. So if the 8MP sensor is not quite big enough to be 'equal' to the 4MP sensor, then there are processing that can be done to the signal. But just about all processing, like gain, adds noise.

As we almost always say here, we can theorize, or guess, until we are blue in the face. The only real way to tell is to test it, like @mat200 stated above.

I go back to my original point. Define what you need for a view and buy the cam that fits that need. If you have a technical need for 8MP, then buy it. Remember that an 8MP cam uses more bandwidth and storage than the 2MP or the 4MP cam. Way more.
I don't think, "all things being equal" is so hard to define. Many models of cameras will be largely identical both internally and externally with only minor changes made to specific aspects of the cameras. Obviously there's some nuance that we can't always easily compare, but that's not the focus of this comparison here and everyone is fully aware of that.

Do higher resolution cameras require more gain?

If theorizing on cameras was pointless, I'm not sure what the point of this forum would be.

Storage concerns are not an issue; the goal always has been improving daytime quality.

Thank you for your response.

__

I am aware that there are plenty of crappy, "4k" cameras out there that look like trash under optimal conditions due to heavy compression, processing, cheap sensors, you name it. I'm trying to avoid purchasing something like that - thus I am trying to learn more about some of the best, "reasonable" higher resolution ip cameras (aka not Axix/Ubiquiti $$$$) and what options exist. I know there are people who have experience with at least a few of these cameras (or highly comparable options) that I've mentioned in my OP as I read reviews on this forum weeks before I posted my question here.

I came here with specific questions with a specific use case in mind, looking to better my understanding of the available options and how it will realistically stack up and compare against the common lower resolution recommendations. Paper stats only go so far, especially when these products are coming from China regardless of where you purchase them. I feel like I got bombarded with people telling me that they are more aware of my setup and needs than I am - despite the fact that I successfully researched and set up multiple quality installations in the past ~3-4 years. By all means I'm looking for advice and help from those with more experience over the different camera models and how they compare, but telling me to, "buy it and find out" is not helpful.

If there's a better sub-forum within ipcamtalk (in other words, not New Member Introductions) to discuss specific models and how higher resolution cameras would compare, I'd be happy to make a new post there. I don't see a generic forum for just discussing brand neutral camera models, but perhaps "Camera Installation Questions" or maybe the Hikvision/Dahua specific forums would be better for this discussion? I'm more than happy to keep this thread active instead of making a new one if that's the best fit - I'm just looking for a conclusive understanding of how the higher resolution models would perform during the day with only a minor focus on nighttime performance.

I appreciate everyone's time and concern that I am not making a mistake by relying on sub-par light conditions, but again I will get 5442's or equivalent where I need them. I have plenty of working cameras still - I'm only replacing the ones that are down and picking up a spare or two.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My comment of saying "you have a lot of light is subjective" is in regards to people's perceptions. We have seen a lot of people come here saying they have a lot of light available at night and in reality they don't.

Of course it can be measured, but most don't have the equipment to do that, so they say, "oh I got four 100w lightbulbs on my house, so it is bright". Like I said, I have 33,000 lumens and pointing the camera where the center of the field of view is more than 15 feet out and the camera says "not enough light" and kicks the camera to B/W. Lumens is one measurement - but how far out does it spread and can be seen. Using a lux meter pointed back at the house will give a number, but it is probably higher than what it is in reality for a camera looking back the other way.

These cameras need a lot of light. A lot. Most of us here have to force the camera into color because the sensor determines there isn't enough light to run in color. So then we have to compromise and decide to we want the nice clean capture in B/W and infrared, or do we accept some noise and not as clean of a capture to get a color image.

Re-read my comment about "8MP not performing as well as the 2MP during daytime usage". It is in relation to if they are both on the same size sensor.

An analogy to try to understand why cameras need so much more light - let's look at an 8MP camera and this 8MP needs at least four times the amount of light as a 2MP for the same sensor. The sensor size is the same in each camera, but when you spread the "screen" of 8MP worth of pixel holes across the same sensor, it now has double the holes, but also double the "screen material" than the 2MP.

Kind of hard to explain, but lets try to use a window screen as an analogy - take a window where the opening is fixed - that is the sensor - you add a screen to it (that represents 2MP) and looking out through the screen is a little darker outside because of the screen material. Now replace that screen with one that has four times the amount of holes (now it represents 8MP) and it will be darker looking through it because (while the resolution would be better) there is a lot more screen material.

So if your house is like most where the top pane is glass with no screen and the bottom half is window with the screen and you see something outside during the daytime - do you sit down to look out through the screen or do you stand up to look a the object through the window with no screen?

And that is accentuated even more at night time. Look out your window with and without the screen and it will be darker looking through the screen than without it. If you are looking out your window to see the stars or the moon, do you look out the part of the window with the screen, or the upper portion without the screen material?

Now obviously as it relates to a camera, you need to balance the amount of pixel holes with the screen material - too few holes (and thus less screen material) and the resolution suffers, and too many holes (and thus more screen material) and the more light that is needed.

It is why many of us here say do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). At nighttime is when most of us want the camera to perform. Almost any camera can work with enough daylight.

2MP on 1/2.8" or bigger sensor
4MP on 1/1.8" or bigger sensor
8MP on 1/1.2" or bigger sensor

If it doesn't meet that, then don't buy.

So like I said, if all you are concerned with is the optimal distance for a particular focal length, like take the 2.8mm and the distance is in that 10-15 foot range, then yes go with the 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor over the 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor. But an 8MP on the smaller 1/2.8" sensor will need a lot of light - even in the daytime it will be as that smaller sensor is like putting dark sunglasses over the lens. And then nighttime will be very poor. If you gotta crank the gain up during the day because of this effect, then it is the wrong camera... Been there, done that.

Reaction score
My comment of saying "you have a lot of light is subjective" is in regards to people's perceptions. We have seen a lot of people come here saying they have a lot of light available at night and in reality they don't.

Of course it can be measured, but most don't have the equipment to do that, so they say, "oh I got four 100w lightbulbs on my house, so it is bright". Like I said, I have 33,000 lumens and pointing the camera where the center of the field of view is more than 15 feet out and the camera says "not enough light" and kicks the camera to B/W. Lumens is one measurement - but how far out does it spread and can be seen. Using a lux meter pointed back at the house will give a number, but it is probably higher than what it is in reality for a camera looking back the other way.

These cameras need a lot of light. A lot. Most of us here have to force the camera into color because the sensor determines there isn't enough light to run in color. So then we have to compromise and decide to we want the nice clean capture in B/W and infrared, or do we accept some noise and not as clean of a capture to get a color image.

Re-read my comment about "8MP not performing as well as the 2MP during daytime usage". It is in relation to if they are both on the same size sensor.

An analogy to try to understand why cameras need so much more light - let's look at an 8MP camera and this 8MP needs at least four times the amount of light as a 2MP for the same sensor. The sensor size is the same in each camera, but when you spread the "screen" of 8MP worth of pixel holes across the same sensor, it now has double the holes, but also double the "screen material" than the 2MP.

Kind of hard to explain, but lets try to use a window screen as an analogy - take a window where the opening is fixed - that is the sensor - you add a screen to it (that represents 2MP) and looking out through the screen is a little darker outside because of the screen material. Now replace that screen with one that has four times the amount of holes (now it represents 8MP) and it will be darker looking through it because (while the resolution would be better) there is a lot more screen material.

So if your house is like most where the top pane is glass with no screen and the bottom half is window with the screen and you see something outside during the daytime - do you sit down to look out through the screen or do you stand up to look a the object through the window with no screen?

And that is accentuated even more at night time. Look out your window with and without the screen and it will be darker looking through the screen than without it. If you are looking out your window to see the stars or the moon, do you look out the part of the window with the screen, or the upper portion without the screen material?

Now obviously as it relates to a camera, you need to balance the amount of pixel holes with the screen material - too few holes (and thus less screen material) and the resolution suffers, and too many holes (and thus more screen material) and the more light that is needed.

It is why many of us here say do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). At nighttime is when most of us want the camera to perform. Almost any camera can work with enough daylight.

2MP on 1/2.8" or bigger sensor
4MP on 1/1.8" or bigger sensor
8MP on 1/1.2" or bigger sensor

If it doesn't meet that, then don't buy.

So like I said, if all you are concerned with is the optimal distance for a particular focal length, like take the 2.8mm and the distance is in that 10-15 foot range, then yes go with the 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor over the 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor. But an 8MP on the smaller 1/2.8" sensor will need a lot of light - even in the daytime it will be as that smaller sensor is like putting dark sunglasses over the lens. And then nighttime will be very poor. If you gotta crank the gain up during the day because of this effect, then it is the wrong camera... Been there, done that.
Alright, thank you.

Quick and simple followup question: Going with the premise you've laid out, is there ever a reason to purchase something other than one of the popular/quality "starlight" models such as a 5442 or variation thereof, or equivalent model/brand? I'm sure there's at least a few options that would meet 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor, yet 5442's are kind of the golden standard from Dahua and have been for some time. So what's the reason for choosing those over the same resolution on the same sensor size of another Dahua and/or a Hikvision?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. If you need more optical zoom than is capable in the 5442 series, then you go with a 2MP fixed camera or a PTZ. It is there only series that has 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor, so that is why it is the golden standard - their other 4MP options are the budget friendly options for those chasing MP over quality, so they cram 4MP on a 1/3" sensor.

You will find there are not many cameras out there that are 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor. Most are putting 4MP on smaller sensors. And worse, 8MP on sensors designed for 2MP (1/2.8" and even some are 1/3" sensors).

Hikvision has some 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor and I think most, if not all, are considered full color cameras and cannot see infrared. You can find the thread where people have bought it thinking it is a miracle camera and found out that without any light, it is just as blind as any other camera. And then the camera is useless to that person because they cannot add external IR because the camera cannot see it.

If you are truly interested in the best quality available right now and will not be trying to use the camera beyond its optimal distances ranges, the 4K/X camera is an incredible camera. It needs very little light to produce a great image. But it does need some light.

Starlight is a meaningless marketing phrase The words Accusense, ColorVu, Dark Fighter, Starlight, etc. are simply marketing hooks and do not represent a specific technology advancement or feature....it is simply a marketing term used to supposedly sell the consumer on the ability to have good night vision. The actual sensors and capabilities of the camera is more important.

But there are so many games that can be played even with the how they report the Lux numbers. They will claim a low lux of 0.0005 for example, but then that is with a wide open iris and a shutter at 1/3 second and an f1.6 - as soon as you have motion in it, it will be crap. You need a shutter of at minimum 1/60 second to reduce a lot of blur from someone walking.

To prove how meaningless Starlight is, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy a system based on marketing terms like Starlight.... Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1642215852060.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you