Basic Questions in relation to a few common models and recommendations

Reaction score
Yes. If you need more optical zoom than is capable in the 5442 series, then you go with a 2MP fixed camera or a PTZ. It is there only series that has 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor, so that is why it is the golden standard - their other 4MP options are the budget friendly options for those chasing MP over quality, so they cram 4MP on a 1/3" sensor.

You will find there are not many cameras out there that are 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor. Most are putting 4MP on smaller sensors. And worse, 8MP on sensors designed for 2MP (1/2.8" and even some are 1/3" sensors).

Hikvision has some 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor and I think most, if not all, are considered full color cameras and cannot see infrared. You can find the thread where people have bought it thinking it is a miracle camera and found out that without any light, it is just as blind as any other camera. And then the camera is useless to that person because they cannot add external IR because the camera cannot see it.

If you are truly interested in the best quality available right now and will not be trying to use the camera beyond its optimal distances ranges, the 4K/X camera is an incredible camera. It needs very little light to produce a great image. But it does need some light.

Starlight is a meaningless marketing phrase The words Accusense, ColorVu, Dark Fighter, Starlight, etc. are simply marketing hooks and do not represent a specific technology advancement or feature....it is simply a marketing term used to supposedly sell the consumer on the ability to have good night vision. The actual sensors and capabilities of the camera is more important.

But there are so many games that can be played even with the how they report the Lux numbers. They will claim a low lux of 0.0005 for example, but then that is with a wide open iris and a shutter at 1/3 second and an f1.6 - as soon as you have motion in it, it will be crap. You need a shutter of at minimum 1/60 second to reduce a lot of blur from someone walking.

To prove how meaningless Starlight is, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy a system based on marketing terms like Starlight.... Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1642215852060.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you
Wow - If I had to guess the person would be right behind the closest pillar and that's why there's the weird blur and small artifacting near the flower bed, but I didn't search the background too hard. None of my cameras have ever had any issues even resembling these problems.

I wasn't aware that, "full color" from Hikvision meant no IR - I honestly just presumed that was a staple feature. I wouldn't expect the IR filter plus small actuator to be that expensive/hard to design around.

Would you consider the Dahua 5442's to be better than the Hikvisions due to the IR capabilities? I noticed some Hikvisions (I guess probably full colors) have some visible lights on them - I presume they active upon motion or something. Is that worth bothering with?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, I'm obviously here to ask questions before I make purchases. If my bank account and time were both endless, I obviously wouldn't have come here in the first place. I'm trying to learn from other's experiences and hear from others who have more experience and knowledge on the topic at hand, rather than act like I have all the answers myself. I don't see how telling me to figure it out on my own is helpful advice. It seems to defeat the purpose of a forum.

Hi @artificialearthy

So, as we have already puts in tons of time to post here in ipcamtalk on various issues and concerns associated with numerous questions and issues people have on the topic, and you've been provided with grace by numerous members attempting to assist you on this topic, ..

"So, I'm obviously here to ask questions before I make purchases. If my bank account and time were both endless" - articialearthy

It seems very obviously at this point you are here to transfer the cost of your project to members here asking them to put in even more of their time to assist beyond what most should reasonably expect, especially considering it seems clear at this stage that you would not return the favor and share with others any good and solid information that you may learn in this endeavor.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, there are some full color Dahua 5442 cameras as well with the white LED light, but most of us have found they are gimmicky and not very useful beyond about 5 feet or so. Just because the spec says it is good for 60 feet doesn't mean real world it will see that far. It is basically about as bright as a flashlight.

The LED light is either on or off. If you have no available light, then the camera is blind and won't trigger. But it is a feature that is of benefit to some if they do not have any light at all and is problematic to get a light to it. But again, it is a small circle that will be visible. There are some cameras called "active deterrence" or equivalent that can have the light come in the event of motion.

My personal recommendation is unless you know that you do not need infrared, then go with a camera that can see infrared.

Now the exception is the LED light on the 4K/X - because of the larger 1/1.2" sensor, it can illuminate much further than the 5442 LED cams.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Now the exception is the LED light on the 4K/X - because of the larger 1/1.2" sensor, it can illuminate much further than the 5442 LED cams.
It is useable but even in that case it's not all that great in my experience. With the internal light on you get a hot spot of sorts. The camera adjusts the image to that and you tend to lose all of the rest in darkness with pretty much any settings. Much better when turned off and relying on other external light sources. It really shines then (no pun intended).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is useable but even in that case it's not all that great in my experience. With the internal light on you get a hot spot of sorts. The camera adjusts the image to that and you tend to lose all of the rest in darkness with pretty much any settings. Much better when turned off and relying on other external light sources. It really shines then (no pun intended).
Yes, I absolutely agree! I run my 4K/X without the LED light on because the image does look better and I have available light. But the 4K/X does cast out a further usable distance than my 5442 LED camera. Still won't see out as far as IR though.

But yes, if you have any light at all, going with a "full color" will produce a better image than forcing the non "full color" camera into color.

Reaction score
Hi @artificialearthy

So, as we have already puts in tons of time to post here in ipcamtalk on various issues and concerns associated with numerous questions and issues people have on the topic, and you've been provided with grace by numerous members attempting to assist you on this topic, ..

"So, I'm obviously here to ask questions before I make purchases. If my bank account and time were both endless"

It seems very obviously at this point you are here to transfer the cost of your project to members here asking them to put in even more of their time to assist beyond what most should reasonably expect, especially considering it seems clear at this stage that you would not return the favor and share with others any good and solid information that you may learn in this endeavor.
  1. Not addressing my questions is not being graceful (not that this would apply to everyone in this thread - there were many helpful users and for the umpteenth time I am not and have never been ungrateful for everyone's time)
  2. Telling me to go figure it out on my own is not being helpful nor graceful (This is exclusively directed at you)
  3. Where do you get the idea that I would not be willing to contribute back to this place in the event that I found some information that this forum was not privy to? Why do you think you know the first thing about me?
  4. I have approached this topic with my concerns and thoughts in the most diplomatic way possible up to this point (and I'm certainly not being rude now, just less formal). Your responses telling me to, "figure it out on my own" are not helpful nor contributing, and were already borderline rude given the context of this forum and the premise that there are others who know answers to my questions. Your last response definitely is rude and presumptuous, and is again not contributing positively in any way. I don't appreciate the hostility and accusations.
  5. All I have done in this thread is ask questions and try to better my understanding. Some responses I received (such as the first as a great example) offered genuinely no additional content or information than what was in my OP - Why am I at fault for trying to diplomatically ask for further clarifications and point out how my questions were not answered? Even you wouldn't accuse me of being hostile/negative/rude in how I responded, surely.
  6. If someone does not know the full long form answer to a question I am asking (such as specific models of cameras that were in the OP that I was previously seeking further information on), they are welcome to inform me of such, or if possible direct me in the best direction that they know of. I'm also not holding a gun to anyone's head making them dedicate their time to helping me. I do not see it as, "asking them to put in even more of their time to assist beyond what most should reasonably expect" in any conceivable way - I am not forcing anyone to help me here or falsely answer questions that they do not know. As mentioned above, you do not know the first thing about me - I have contributed plenty of my time to forums in other areas that I am more familiar and experienced with, so please do not insinuate that I am being rude by going to a forum in this format in an attempt to gain knowledge.

Reaction score
Yeah, there are some full color Dahua 5442 cameras as well with the white LED light, but most of us have found they are gimmicky and not very useful beyond about 5 feet or so. Just because the spec says it is good for 60 feet doesn't mean real world it will see that far. It is basically about as bright as a flashlight.

The LED light is either on or off. If you have no available light, then the camera is blind and won't trigger. But it is a feature that is of benefit to some if they do not have any light at all and is problematic to get a light to it. But again, it is a small circle that will be visible. There are some cameras called "active deterrence" or equivalent that can have the light come in the event of motion.

My personal recommendation is unless you know that you do not need infrared, then go with a camera that can see infrared.

Thank you very much. I figured as much but wasn't sure. What about for a pseudo LPR camera? I think I saw some Hikvision's with 4MP 1/1.8" sensors in Full Color that had I think 4 or 6 mm lenses? That would fit well for my existing pseudo LPR setup (pseudo LPR meaning not automatic LPR reading, just capture) in terms of optics - Would the full color option be preferred to IR? My gut would say no but I wouldn't know for sure.

Are there any cameras capable of triggering a relay upon motion detection to activate an external light? I'm sure if I jury rigged it, I could crack the camera open and make it work, but I wouldn't trust the waterproofness of it then.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Capturing plates at night is all about shutter speed. Most do not have enough light or the ideal location where a car has to stop to be able to run color. Some here do, but most of us do not so we run 1/2000 shutter and infrared to get the plates. 2MP is more than enough. OpenALPR even suggest 720P in some situations. The bigger issue is the distance from camera to plate. Most of have found that beyond 60ish feet, there isn't enough zoom in the 5442 series, so we go to the 5241-Z12E.

Sure, many of these cameras come with additional wiring to hookup I/O or sound or alarms.

The problem though with having motion trigger a light is that then momentarily blinds the camera until it adjusts and that is usually the money shot of getting the perp. It is best to run with the lights on or off. It can be even more problematic if the camera goes from B/W to color with the light. For a varifocal, the focus might be different between the two, so that adds even more blinding into the equation.

Reaction score
Capturing plates at night is all about shutter speed. Most do not have enough light or the ideal location where a car has to stop to be able to run color. Some here do, but most of us do not so we run 1/2000 shutter and infrared to get the plates. 2MP is more than enough. OpenALPR even suggest 720P in some situations. The bigger issue is the distance from camera to plate. Most of have found that beyond 60ish feet, there isn't enough zoom in the 5442 series, so we go to the 5241-Z12E.

Sure, many of these cameras come with additional wiring to hookup I/O or sound or alarms.

The problem though with having motion trigger a light is that then momentarily blinds the camera until it adjusts and that is usually the money shot of getting the perp. It is best to run with the lights on or off. It can be even more problematic if the camera goes from B/W to color with the light. For a varifocal, the focus might be different between the two, so that adds even more blinding into the equation.
Makes sense, thank you. Luckily my pseudo LPRs are in an area where one is absolutely forced to drive slowly through so I can get away with a lot of sloppy settings - I just need to avoid washing out the plate with IR. I haven't gotten around to reading those LPR threads posted in here from a few days ago yet, but I'll get to it.

I wonder if I could also set something up so that upon motion detection via the camera's built in detection, I could trigger some IoT (Internet of Shit) like setup on my server to turn on lights and junk triggered by FTP or SMTP from the camera - I obviously wouldn't want this on my pseudo LPRs but I could probably use it to turn on some nearby floodlights. Has anything like this been done before? I guess motion activated lights already exist as a standalone product.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  1. Not addressing my questions is not being graceful (not that this would apply to everyone in this thread - there were many helpful users and for the umpteenth time I am not and have never been ungrateful for everyone's time)
  2. Telling me to go figure it out on my own is not being helpful nor graceful (This is exclusively directed at you)
  3. Where do you get the idea that I would not be willing to contribute back to this place in the event that I found some information that this forum was not privy to? Why do you think you know the first thing about me?
  4. I have approached this topic with my concerns and thoughts in the most diplomatic way possible up to this point (and I'm certainly not being rude now, just less formal). Your responses telling me to, "figure it out on my own" are not helpful nor contributing, and were already borderline rude given the context of this forum and the premise that there are others who know answers to my questions. Your last response definitely is rude and presumptuous, and is again not contributing positively in any way. I don't appreciate the hostility and accusations.
  5. All I have done in this thread is ask questions and try to better my understanding. Some responses I received (such as the first as a great example) offered genuinely no additional content or information than what was in my OP - Why am I at fault for trying to diplomatically ask for further clarifications and point out how my questions were not answered? Even you wouldn't accuse me of being hostile/negative/rude in how I responded, surely.
  6. If someone does not know the full long form answer to a question I am asking (such as specific models of cameras that were in the OP that I was previously seeking further information on), they are welcome to inform me of such, or if possible direct me in the best direction that they know of. I'm also not holding a gun to anyone's head making them dedicate their time to helping me. I do not see it as, "asking them to put in even more of their time to assist beyond what most should reasonably expect" in any conceivable way - I am not forcing anyone to help me here or falsely answer questions that they do not know. As mentioned above, you do not know the first thing about me - I have contributed plenty of my time to forums in other areas that I am more familiar and experienced with, so please do not insinuate that I am being rude by going to a forum in this format in an attempt to gain knowledge.
Hi @artificialearthy

On post #5 I directly answered the 5 questions you had posted:

I'm going to just look at your 5 questions.. and give my quick take on them:​
Would it be worthwhile to get a quality 8MP camera for my well lit areas, such as perhaps one of the above models? :
Get a 1/1.2" 8MP sensor model camera if you want a top quality low light image capture .. look for reviews here ..​
And are there any decent 6MP models with 1/1.8" sensors that would work for fairly low light, or am I just looking at 4MP at this sensor size?:
No, for 1/1.8" go for the 4MP models .. for 1/1.2" if you want a 8MP model ..​
Is there ever a situation to not use IR from a camera like this in low light? In other words, if I had say a 2MP 1.8" sensor, would it ever be better to run that camera without IR as opposed to with IR, despite the low light?
Do you want / need color information? Example: To identify someone? To identify a car's color? For most of us the answer is Yes.​
Any other models that would be good to recommend to me, with a budget of ~100-150 per camera (open to Chinese resells, at least without a reason that makes sense to me against this)
Any general advice or recommendations for me?
Add more money to your budget, see the prior replies for models ..​

On post #2 sebastiantombs provided numerous good links to questions associated with the topic at had

You have been afforded graceful answers from the start, and yet persist in seeming expecting that we somehow should invest our time to solve your issues.

In fact sebastiantombs pointed out directly to you:
"I did read your post and it indicated you were missing that point entirely " in response to your: ".. but it comes across as if you didn't read very much of my post. "

On post #4 samplenhold gives a good solid direct response and even points out the model series most member prefer as an option:
"Right now I am partial to the Dahua 5442 models." - samplenhold

Judging by your demands of our time and your claims to have "I've read the wiki, and I've browsed various articles here over the years" - and yet still asking some basic questions, many of which have been covered numerous times, you should be aware of the vast amount of patience and generosity which have currently been afforded to you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So, I'm obviously here to ask questions before I make purchases. If my bank account and time were both endless, I obviously wouldn't have come here in the first place. I'm trying to learn from other's experiences and hear from others who have more experience and knowledge on the topic at hand, rather than act like I have all the answers myself. I don't see how telling me to figure it out on my own is helpful advice. It seems to defeat the purpose of a forum.
But with every answer given, you have posted a counter point, argument. So, for me it is getting to the point that I really feel that if you do not like an answer, you argue the fact. Then ask it again in different words. Like the color/LPR question that I answered before but then you asked @wittaj again in post 27. I fully understand @mat200 getting testy here.

I personally have spent quite some time reading your questions, thinking through the issues, and formulating a response. I have even included pics and links to other threads. But I was taken aback by your quick dismissal in post 17 of my response, especially the condensing "Thank you for your response" reply.

I think I have put in enough time to this thread. Good luck to you.

Reaction score
Hi @artificialearthy

On post #5 I directly answered the 5 questions you had posted:

Welcome @artificialearthy

I'm going to just look at your 5 questions.. and give my quick take on them:

Would it be worthwhile to get a quality 8MP camera for my well lit areas, such as perhaps one of the above models? :
Get a 1/1.2" 8MP sensor model camera if you want a top quality low light image capture .. look for reviews here ..

And are there any decent 6MP models with 1/1.8" sensors that would work for fairly low light, or am I just looking at 4MP at this sensor size?:
No, for 1/1.8" go for the 4MP models .. for 1/1.2" if you want a 8MP model ..

Is there ever a situation to not use IR from a camera like this in low light? In other words, if I had say a 2MP 1.8" sensor, would it ever be better to run that camera without IR as opposed to with IR, despite the low light?
Do you want / need color information? Example: To identify someone? To identify a car's color? For most of us the answer is Yes.

Any other models that would be good to recommend to me, with a budget of ~100-150 per camera (open to Chinese resells, at least without a reason that makes sense to me against this)
Any general advice or recommendations for me?

Add more money to your budget, see the prior replies for models ..

On post #2 sebastiantombs provided numerous good links to questions associated with the topic at had

You have been afforded graceful answers from the start, and yet persist in seeming expecting that we somehow should invest our time to solve your issues.

In fact sebastiantombs pointed out directly to you:
"I did read your post and it indicated you were missing that point entirely " in response to your: ".. but it comes across as if you didn't read very much of my post. "

On post #4 samplenhold gives a good solid direct response and even points out the model series most member prefer as an option:
"Right now I am partial to the Dahua 5442 models." - samplenhold

Judging by your demands of our time and your claims to have "I've read the wiki, and I've browsed various articles here over the years" - and yet still asking some basic questions, many of which have been covered numerous times, you should be aware of the vast amount of patience and generosity which have currently been afforded to you.

Alright, let's go through your comment piece by piece.

____

In your first reply, you explicitly state yourself that it's a, "quick take" on things - You fully admit that it's not a detailed answer that completely covers the scope of the questions outlined in detail from my OP. I never said I didn't appreciate the quick take, but simply because you responded with a comment does not mean the purpose of my thread is automatically fulfilled.

____

In post #2, sebastian posted text which was exclusively restating things that I had said in my OP while avoiding the detailed inquiries into these points that I had asked. What am I to think when reading someone who is posting the same things I have already stated other than that my OP was not read in detail? He did post links to the 4K/X which were new to me, but even the suggestions for the 5442's were mentioned in my OP already. I do think it's nice to have the threads handy, but my response to him was not about the threads, either.

____

"and yet persist in seeming expecting that we somehow should invest our time to solve your issues."

Well, yeah, that's what a forum is in principle, isn't it? I didn't drop a comment here and demand that people figure everything out for me - I came here with the explicit goal to better understand exactly why higher resolution cameras are often avoided, specifically in regards to if Dahua and Hikvision offer high resolution solutions that truly add resolution instead of noise. Only a few people directly addressed this point, and only after I replied asking for more information. What else would be the purpose of a forum other than sharing knowledge and experience?

____

"In fact sebastiantombs pointed out directly to you: "I did read your post and it indicated you were missing that point entirely " in response to your: ".. but it comes across as if you didn't read very much of my post." " - And if I was missing the point entirely, but still made note of every single point which he mentioned to me, what good did he do to help me better understand the topic by merely repeating what I stated in the OP? Again the entire point I have made here is that I didn't get a reply from him that was adding anything to the conversation; His response was purely information that I stated in the premise of the question (with links to 5442 and 4K/X threads). I never would have said he didn't offer any additional information if he... offered additional information. Let me demonstrate:

OP: Now I get it, don't chase the Megapixels, sensor size is the priority
Sebastian: Don't chase megapixels. A 4MP camera on a 1/1.8" sensor will run rings around a 6MP camera with that same sensor.

OP: I get how for a given sensor size, you have so many individual light sensors that translate to the pixels in the camera's output, and thus how simple physics dictates that the more light sensors for a given area, there's less actual light for each sensor to use
Sebastian: That's simple physics because the available light getting to the sensor will be distributed over more pixels, IE less light to each pixel, when compared to the 4MP. There is no sensor size, that I'm aware of, between the 1/1.8 and the 1/2" for a decent 6MP with good night performance.

OP: I've been using Shinobi for many years now with a decent number of some Chinese market Dahuas with very few issues.
Sebastian: The best approach is to buy one good varifocal and test every location with it, both day and night, to determine the appropriate focal length required and if the camera will provide the day and night results you want.

He also commented about about specialized 2MP options and IR related bug problems, which I appreciate - but it didn't answer the asked questions. I want to be crystal clear here again - I appreciate advice outside of the scope of my question and I am in no possible way saying that these comments were a negative thing - but that also doesn't mean that they answered the relevant questions I asked.

So again I will ask non-rhetorically: What else am I to think when reading that when everything he wrote gives the impression that he didn't read my OP in detail? Simply pointing out that my questions were not addressed is not the same thing at all as being ungrateful for someone's participation in the the thread. Would you accuse me of being ungrateful if someone posted spam in my thread and I replied in a similar fashion? I don't understand how you can even make the argument that you are making.

____

"On post #4 samplenhold gives a good solid direct response and even points out the model series most member prefer as an option: "Right now I am partial to the Dahua 5442 models." - samplenhold "

And I addressed him directly, thanked him for his help, and replied with follow ups where relevant. What are you trying to say here?

___

"Judging by your demands of our time and your claims to have "I've read the wiki, and I've browsed various articles here over the years" - and yet still asking some basic questions, many of which have been covered numerous times, you should be aware of the vast amount of patience and generosity which have currently been afforded to you. "

I made zero demands, and I have pointed this out to you already. If you are just going to continue to blatantly make up lies while ignoring my previous comments, I would prefer if you let me be in this thread. I again do not appreciate your false accusations.

My original questions were absolutely not, "basic" and instead were looking for a technical understanding of things - I have said this repeatedly, including in the OP. I was not looking to be told, "Go buy X and shut up" but instead, "Here's the reason as to why X is better than Y, and it relates to A in B manner." I made this clear from the start.

Furthermore, I've seen at least one or two of the people in this thread even mention that the Wiki is quite out of date when it comes to specific products and such - I'm sure you wouldn't disagree. That's not to say that it has no value, but that it didn't answer the questions I was looking to understand.

But with every answer given, you have posted a counter point, argument. So, for me it is getting to the point that I really feel that if you do not like an answer, you argue the fact. Then ask it again in different words. Like the color/LPR question that I answered before but then you asked @wittaj again in post 27. I fully understand @mat200 getting testy here.

I personally have spent quite some time reading your questions, thinking through the issues, and formulating a response. I have even included pics and links to other threads. But I was taken aback by your quick dismissal in post 17 of my response, especially the condensing "Thank you for your response" reply.

I think I have put in enough time to this thread. Good luck to you.
"But with every answer given, you have posted a counter point, argument. So, for me it is getting to the point that I really feel that if you do not like an answer, you argue the fact."

How else am I supposed to understand things if I do not try to converse with someone explaining something? You're basically telling me that you don't think I should seek an understanding, or try to have a conversation, or explain my thoughts/current understanding and instead just accept any advice that floats my way regardless of origin. If I behaved in such a manner, I would have bought Reolinks and never came here with the intent to learn more.

You'd have a point if I was actually arguing with anyone here. I'm trying to have a conversation, and I've tried to be overly polite and formal in the approach. If any disagreement is an argument in your eyes, that's on you. Discussions can often be pointless without discourse between participants.

___

"Then ask it again in different words. Like the color/LPR question that I answered before but then you asked @wittaj again in post 27."

I asked him specific questions in relation to the specific type of camera that was brought up - My questions were not specific to LPR, but instead about LPR with white light cameras as opposed to IR. I even pointed out that I haven't gotten to reading the threads you linked to in my own comment. I've had successful LPR for my purposes for years already, but simply wanted to understand how those specific cameras related to the topic.

___

"I personally have spent quite some time reading your questions, thinking through the issues, and formulating a response. I have even included pics and links to other threads."

And I've been very appreciative of your time and effort in this thread, and have shown as much repeatedly. It's in plain English above - I don't know what else you'd want from me to show you that I am not taking anyone's participation for granted.

___

"But I was taken aback by your quick dismissal in post 17 of my response, especially the condensing "Thank you for your response" reply."

I don't know how you can even begin to argue that me thanking you is a negative. You only see this as condescending because you want to see it that way, I would guess. I have been incredibly explicit throughout this thread that I am trying to be as nice as possible and even made note of how text can sometimes not convey the desired emotion. I have been extremely clear about my intentions.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Your questions are generally irrelevant because they relate, specifically, to your specific installation. There is no way for a definite answer and you don't seem at all satisfied with the generalized answers you get. Spend your money on what you want and good luck. I'm out of here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your questions are generally irrelevant because they relate, specifically, to you specific installation. There is no way for a definite answer and you don't seem at all satisfied with the generalized answers you get. Spend your money on what you want and good luck. I'm out of here.
I don't understand how a question asking if moving from 4MP to 8MP will add noise or not is specific to any setup. I don't understand how inquiring to if a product exists is dependent on any setup. I'm not sure how inquiring to specific reasoning behind avoiding gray market cameras is specific to any setup. That's pretty much all of the OP.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I don't know how you can even begin to argue that me thanking you is a negative. You only see this as condescending because you want to see it that way, I would guess. I have been incredibly explicit throughout this thread that I am trying to be as nice as possible and even made note of how text can sometimes not convey the desired emotion. I have been extremely clear about my intentions.
Hi @artificialearthy

I've had the opportunity to read numerous new to the forum and new to IP PoE cameras over the years, and over time have seen numerous ranges of personalities represented by their interactions here.

We have some outstanding members who have contributed a lot to make this forum a good solid forum, and who continue to contribute with their time and effects voluntarily.
( big thanks to @samplenhold @sebastiantombs and @wittaj in this thread )

Some have become very good contributors to the forum, some have just visited briefly, and a small group have been what I would call a negative influence.

Currently, usual imho, judging by your interactions here I have had to make a judgement on your contributions .. I've seen this before, those who are continuing to take time and efforts from the good will of those making this forum a solid forum and not give back ..

That's up to you to change it and prove that you can be a positive contributor to the forum .. which is what I suggested here

"Hi @artificialearthy

Recommend you picking up a 1/1.2" 8MP camera and comparing it to the 5442 model you've picked up and sharing the info here with a review and sharing what you learn with others. "

ref:
Hi @artificialearthy

Recommend you picking up a 1/1.2" 8MP camera and comparing it to the 5442 model you've picked up and sharing the info here with a review and sharing what you learn with others.
The opportunity for you to prove my assessment of your character here as inaccurate still applies - and you are welcome to prove me wrong by providing something productive to the forum.

Reaction score
Hi @artificialearthy

I've had the opportunity to read numerous new to the forum and new to IP PoE cameras over the years, and over time have seen numerous ranges of personalities represented by their interactions here.

We have some outstanding members who have contributed a lot to make this forum a good solid forum, and who continue to contribute with their time and effects voluntarily.
( big thanks to @samplenhold @sebastiantombs and @wittaj in this thread )

Some have become very good contributors to the forum, some have just visited briefly, and a small group have been what I would call a negative influence.

Currently, usual imho, judging by your interactions here I have had to make a judgement on your contributions .. I've seen this before, those who are continuing to take time and efforts from the good will of those making this forum a solid forum and not give back ..

That's up to you to change it and prove that you can be a positive contributor to the forum .. which is what I suggested here

"Hi @artificialearthy

Recommend you picking up a 1/1.2" 8MP camera and comparing it to the 5442 model you've picked up and sharing the info here with a review and sharing what you learn with others. "

ref:

The opportunity for you to prove my assessment of your character here as inaccurate still applies - and you are welcome to prove me wrong by providing something productive to the forum.

"Currently, usual imho, judging by your interactions here I have had to make a judgement on your contributions .. I've seen this before, those who are continuing to take time and efforts from the good will of those making this forum a solid forum and not give back .. That's up to you to change it and prove that you can be a positive contributor to the forum .. which is what I suggested here"

The, "proof" that your judgement of my character is wrong is evident in this thread - I have responded respectfully and with great detail to everyone, including you. You have made baseless claims about my behavior and arrogantly acted as if you know me personally, all the while I am accused of being condescending. That's peak irony.

___

"The opportunity for you to prove my assessment of your character here as inaccurate still applies - and you are welcome to prove me wrong by providing something productive to the forum."

First of all, no, I don't have to disprove anything - You've made a negative claim in regards to my character based on me responding in a positive manner. You have to prove your claim and the burden is not on me to disprove yours, especially when you have presented no evidence at all to support your claims other than your, "judgement." Keep in mind, your judgement came to this conclusion despite the repeated attempts on behalf of myself to clarify my intent is not to be hostile, ungrateful, rude, etc and merely to better understand the material.

But you want to know what will make me avoid this place like the plague and avoid all considerations of return contribution? Being told to, "buy it and figure it out" after laying out a very descriptive post with specific and straightforward questions. I absolutely found help from many users in this thread, but being insulted and having repeated lies spewed directly to my face even after having it brought to your attention is the opposite of being helpful. If you didn't have anything helpful to say, then you didn't have to respond in such a manner, repeatedly.

___

I'd love to hear how you think I could have approached this situation in an improved manner. What changes do you think I should have made in my OP? How do you think I should have replied when my questions and concerns were not addressed? These are not rhetorical questions.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Recalling the following thread thanks to this thread..

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Just pull the trigger and buy a variety of some of the cameras you think will be ok, and try them out instead of mindfucking for 4 hours. They will end up being used in one way or another and give you vastly more info to your specific locations than a forum can.