Best alternative for Live monitor

klaparp

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a system in a hardware store and they want the Classic "we have surveillance display" behind the staff so the customers can see there is cameras.
Right now they use some kind of Android device with BI app but that Drains the cpu on the server so my question is what to use instead that does not kill the server.

/H

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a system in a hardware store and they want the Classic "we have surveillance display" behind the staff so the customers can see there is cameras.
Right now they use some kind of Android device with BI app but that Drains the cpu on the server so my question is what to use instead that does not kill the server.

/H
Blue Iris has built-in UI web pages to access from any PC or smartphone on the Local network. Point your browser to "http://BI_server_IP-address:port" and it will bring it up.
@bp2008 has authored an excellent set of replacement files for those and with instructions, etc. ==>> here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

/H
The BI app should add negligible load on the server...likely the server is already overtaxed due to inadequate specs, improper setup or both.

Last edited:

klaparp

n3wb
Reaction score
That system is i5-6xxx 4cores and enough memory. It runs at about 25-30% cpu without the monitor and 80-95% when 2 monitors are streaming.
Second system= i7-4xxx 4cores and enough memory. Same results as above but with more cameras
I verified it on my own system. (the second one) and it seems that it in fact IS using a lot of cpu. thereof my question.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That system is i5-6xxx 4cores and enough memory. It runs at about 25-30% cpu without the monitor and 80-95% when 2 monitors are streaming.
Second system= i7-4xxx 4cores and enough memory. Same results as above but with more cameras
I verified it on my own system. (the second one) and it seems that it in fact IS using a lot of cpu. thereof my question.
what do you mean by "two monitors are streaming" how?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More on BI's built-in web browser pages; below is a screenshot of one of my clients that has only 2 cams, I accessed his BI server using Internet Explorer 11 via the DDNS hostname(colon)port and 'camsonly.htm' file. If it appears grainy it's because my home and his site have only 3.0M down/.5M up ADSL (really sux). If you have 4 cams, 4 are displayed, etc.
You can easily modify the HTML to display a message at the top in color such as "SHOPLIFTERS WILL BE PROSECUTED" or "IF YOU ARE CAUGHT SHOPLIFTING, THEY MAY NEVER FIND YOUR BODY" or the like.

BI_camsonly_screen.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, I think I am talking about the same thing, just a different way to get there.
I was using the link for BlueIrisLookup from the BI help file which is, "http://www.blueiris.pro/go/?(Mylicensekeyhere)"
That takes me to page with both a Lan and a Wan link which are both in the "http://BI_server_IP-address:port" format.

The final page load is: " http://BI_server_IP-address:port/jpegpull.htm" which shows all the cams but with clips and other contol stuff; not as clean as just the cameras.
I do have each of the cams set up as you mention above but still only get the 1 camera when using " http://BI_server_IP-address:port/camsonly.htm"

I'll keep playing around with it.
Thanks

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought I'd read in this thread somewhere it may now be included in an upcoming BI release so I thought I'd wait until then since I don't use it a lot. But maybe I would if it is a lot better. The default version in BI is almost useless for me.
thanks

klaparp

n3wb
Reaction score
what do you mean by "two monitors are streaming" how?
Back to the original question...

I mean that one android is streaming to the monitor at the chekout and one in the office computer. Thats enough to reach >90%

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I mean that one android is streaming to the monitor at the chekout and one in the office computer. Thats enough to reach >90%
Don't use the BI app on the Android; install the new UI3 files from @bp2008 as I mentioned back in post #2; open up a browser in the Android device and for the URL put in "http://BI-server_IP-address:port" . It really cannot be any easier.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

that is abnormal..the mobile app adds only a few percent to the load...

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use a Raspberry Pi running in Kiosk mode that directs to UI2 web UI. Works amazing!

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use UI3 on my tablet. Mounted on my wall running 24X7 in my bedroom. No issues at all, works great.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread. I just received my refurbished Dell and 8TB HDD and moved the OS to the 256GB SSD. I was about to download BI and get going on that, but wondered about the display option, especially after reviewing the videos @Dasstrum posted. I assumed that most people run the box headless (no monitor keyboard or mouse locally) after the initial install, maybe using the web UI? is this correct? Does it have all the needed configuration etc functionality that i would have if i sat in front of the server that runs the BI instance? Or is placing the box in a hard to reach location going to drive me nuts?

I would assume that one could have several live view going to remote clients with virtually no performance (CPU) hit, as it is essentially multicast of a live stream. Is the live stream app different than the administration app? I guess i will find out shortly.