Best HD Technology?

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
Need to make a choice for a new 16 channel setup, so need non-biased(since this is an ip cam forum ;) ) advice.

Have sampled Generic and HIK IP Cameras, have suffered some amount of lag so still considering some of the analog technologies as well.

The issue is there are so many technologies to choose from, need to rely on one or two for the setup, from these

• IP Cam (Dahua, HIKVision, Generic)
  • HD-TVI aka Turbo HD (HIK)
  • HD-CVI (Dahua)
  • HD-SDI (Generic)
  • Analog HD (Generic)

Don't have a lot of choice of brands available, priorities are HD Video Quality, long lasting, highly reliable and easy to maintain setup. Which should I go for?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..Where are you going to be installing this system? What is your budget?

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
This system is meant for a multi level production facility with very tight space and adjoining offices, mostly indoors. Cable routing and channeling is a hassle. Also thought about going wireless IP, but wired presented enough lag for me to not even consider that anymore.

Budget is max $3000 for the equipment.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What are you going to be monitoring? There is very little delay in a properly designed ip system..
IP is the system of choice for several reasons, better quality images, easily up-gradable as new technology emerges, networkable so you dont need to homerun each cable and POE (power over ethernet) - so you dont have to run separate power to each camera.
If your budget is 3k you are looking at hikvision or dahua... unless you dont need nightvision then you might consider the new bosch mini domes...
Whatever you do, dont even consider wifi and dont by generic cameras.
Since you mention that cable routing is a hassle you can benefit greatly with ip, since you can place a switch near some cams an homerun a single cable back or better yet, if there is already a network connection near the switch you can hook into that.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree with Fenderman 100 percent. For future use IP is the way to go. You have more choices in cameras, no need to homerun cameras, each camera has it's own interface for adjusting for different scenerios, and cat5/6 is the way to go. I would NOT use SDI. That technology has not been perfected yet. I have one system out there, and always have problems. I have a friend with a couple of SDI systems and problems. I have 2 Dahua CVI systems and absolutely love it. The setup is extremely easy, the quality is excellent, and the price is currently the lowest. The 2 CVI systems have been
very reliable and has excellent playback and motion detection, which IP cameras have some issues here and there if there is a firmware issue. So, there are pros and cons of each system and it all depends on where the camera system will be installed to choose which one is best.

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
I am experiencing around a 2s delay on accessing from a computer wired to the router which is wired to the camera, on ds-2cd2032-I. Is there any ideal setting for a 100 Mbps Network? Or is there specific topology?

I believe IP is the future as well, but reconsidering it because of the lag issue, all other analog technologies have no delay whatsoever. It is definitely advantageous because of the reasons stated. Is CVI or HD-TVI widely adopted?, I have seen CVI only by Dahua, HD-TVI I have been told is being used by HIK and will be adopted by others aswell, the quality of HD-TVI is great as well, but has the same issues as analog wiring, and need higher quality cabling, so older cabling might need to be changed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try lowering the i frame interval to match your fps and see if that helps...
Are you using the cameras for access control? why is the delay an issue?

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes one will be at the entrance, and one will be covering the walkway. Others will be indoor. Since all the other options don't have any lag, this is the main problem noticed and pointed out by the end-users.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes one will be at the entrance, and one will be covering the walkway. Others will be indoor. Since all the other options don't have any lag, this is the main problem noticed and pointed out by the end-users.
Are they buzzing them in? otherwise it doesnt really matter...but two seconds is kind of high..it should be lower.

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't understand why it's so high, i have set it at main 1080p, constant bit rate of 2048 KB at 16 fps, which is a low setting . If it was less than one second, then it would be acceptable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand why it's so high, i have set it at main 1080p, constant bit rate of 2048 KB at 16 fps, which is a low setting . If it was less than one second, then it would be acceptable.
Did you adjust the i frame interval to match your frame rate?

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so adjusted the i frame interval to match the frame rate, it is better around 1 sec delay now which is bearable.

So if I use 25 fps then should i match the i frame interval? what's the deal?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so adjusted the i frame interval to match the frame rate, it is better around 1 sec delay now which is bearable.

So if I use 25 fps then should i match the i frame interval? what's the deal?
Yes, though 25fps is excessive for most applications..set your frame rate to 15fps..

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You still really haven't answered clearly why the delay would be an issue. Fenderman asked if you are viewing people on a monitor and buzzing the door to unlock with an access control system or not.
If your viewing cameras over a network, there will normally be a slight delay. If the delay is troublesome for you, you may want to connect a monitor directly to the NVR if your using an NVR.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What firmware release on the ds-2cd2032-i? I noticed lag increase a bunch after installing 5.2.3. But buying new ones may limit you to newer firmware releases which don't seem as responsive. People here are surprised by 1-2 second lag because we don't see that in older releases. There's still lag, more so than on some other brands, but not that bad.

So your alternative in that price range is Dahua. Where Dahua is better is a) better IR LED light distribution, b) stronger noise reduction, c) less lag, d) better NVRs, e) wider dynamic range Aptina sensors. IMHO, some like Hikvision images better for stronger color saturation but to me, as a photographer, it looks a little too much and I tone it down.

As for network cameras vs. HD analog. Having a TCP/IP network opens up many wiring possibilities not available with analog including WiFi, Powerline, being able to have switches at different locations to minimize wiring (like having one wire go into an area with 4 cameras attached to it on a remote switch vs. running 4 coax wires). I even had situations where I split a Cat5 wire, 4 wires to each camera or 6 wires to a PoE camera, 2 wires for alarm output.

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
Using a computer with IVMS 4200, not using a DVR for just two or three cameras at the moment. Yes it is for access control.

One DS-2cd2032-I is on 5.1.6, and the other is on 5.2.0. Need to upgrade the firmware on both, how do I go about doing that?

I guess I'll have to try a Dahua as well, for being less laggy. Which Dahua Model is comparable to the DS-2CD2032-I?

OK so IP is the way forward.