Best place to buy Cat 5 Cable online?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wrong. It is useless if not grounded.

This is well documented and you are spreading bullshit. MAYBE, and it's a big reach, faraday cage. But in practicality, meh.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wrong. It is useless if not grounded.

This is well documented and you are spreading bullshit. MAYBE, and it's a big reach, faraday cage. But in practicality, meh.
As far as I am concerned it is just your opinion.
As they say. We are all experts on the internet. ;-)

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't really know how any of it could be grounded. I still would shield against EMI I guess but it wouldn't prevent or help with lightning I guess.
No. If it's ungrounded, you actually run the risk of increasing crosstalk because the added metallic layers within the cable increase the capacitive coupling within the bundle. With no path to ground for those induced capacities to leak to, they just carry through on the data conductors themselves to your connected devices as noise.

That having been said, standard practice on the enterprise level (where you'd normally see shielded cable) is to ground all of that equipment anyway. The interconnects (patch panels, etc.) are normally grounded, and in the event of direct runs, the body of the port itself provides a path to ground for the cable connector shell. Consumer level equipment - hit and miss on this aspect. Bottom line is that - for most household installations - shielded cable is probably wasted money unless you just happened to get a deal on the bulk cable itself. If you do decide to run it, just ensure that at least one end of the run has the shield provided with a path to ground and you're good to go.

Cdltech is correct in saying that the additional layers inside shielded cable make the cable physically more robust, but they won't do anything to help with - and will probably exacerbate - induced noise problems unless you ground the runs.

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you say a path to ground, what are you meaning? Is there a place I could go to read about that? Thanks.
Would I be okay if I purchased premade shielded cable?

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you say a path to ground, what are you meaning? Is there a place I could go to read about that? Thanks.
Would I be okay if I purchased premade shielded cable?
Ground, just like in your electrical wiring. When you look at an electrical plug (assuming you are in the US), you'll see two flat bladed conductors and a round one. The round one is the ground connector. All electrical systems should include a ground path. It allows an exit path for induced capacities and a worst case exit path for shorts to flow to. It should be a part of your home's electrical system.

Premade shielded cable is useless unless there is something for the ground path within the cable (the metallic shell on the outside of the connector itself on a premade cable) to connect to. With a premade shielded cable, you'd have to install a shielded jack on at least one end of the run, and connect that jack to ground, so that when the shielded cable is plugged into it, the ground path is completed.

This might help explain the concept of grounding:

The Basics of Electrical Grounding Explained | DoItYourself.com

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, in other words, unless you want to go through all of that work, it's useless, so save your money. Well, it does make it easier for me that's for sure. And a lot cheaper.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, in other words, unless you want to go through all of that work, it's useless, so save your money. Well, it does make it easier for me that's for sure. And a lot cheaper.
Generally speaking, yes. The only time that I could imagine shielded cabling being of any real benefit in a home installation would be instances where the cabling runs close to areas of exceptional, non-trivial EMI (which are, quite frankly, rare to the point of being nonexistent in the home environment) or you are running high data rate cabling which is exceptionally sensitive to noise (like 10 GigE) over a long distance (and in those instances I will normally just opt for fiber instead). Outside of those limited examples, it's IMO almost always going to be wasted money in a home environment.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually I wasn't trying to be an expert. I was just calling bullshit on your attempt.

And it is not opinion, it is science.

Best

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actually I wasn't trying to be an expert. I was just calling bullshit on your attempt.

And it is not opinion, it is science.

Best
I really don't care. <yawn> Take care Mr. Wizard. I will take my bull shit elsewhere. Moooooo! LoL

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A reminder of your BS.

It is not useless. Just because you don't bond it to a ground doesn't make it useless. The foil around the cable still protects it. Don't confuse transient voltages on a cable with rfi or emi. Bonding a cable to a ground mitigates static charges and provides alternate ground path.
Foil linings are common way to limit or block emi/rfi in interference.

I really don't care. <yawn> Take care Mr. Wizard. I will take my bull shit elsewhere. Moooooo! LoL

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
:ohsnap:

I get Monoprice from Amazon
This seems to be hit and miss at times. There Amazon store doesn't seem to be updated as much regarding stock/colors. However, from past experience if you just need straight solid core blue generic Cat5e from them and nothing else, you are almost always better off going through there amazon marketplace because of the free shipping vs. their website. Just note it will be basic slow ground shipping, but hey, it's better than paying shipping via the website depending on where you live - especially for us east of the mississippi.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited:

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
:ohsnap:

This seems to be hit and miss at times. There Amazon store doesn't seem to be updated as much regarding stock/colors. However, from past experience if you just need straight solid core blue generic Cat5e from them and nothing else, you are almost always better off going through there amazon marketplace because of the free shipping vs. their website. Just note it will be basic slow ground shipping, but hey, it's better than paying shipping via the website depending on where you live - especially for us east of the mississippi.
I normally get this from them:

Amazon.com: Monoprice 1000-Feet 23 AWG Cat6 500MHz UTP CMR Solid Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Cable - White (108108): Computers & Accessories

I rarely need it, but when I do, they usually have CMP in stock as well.

Amazon.com: Monoprice 1000-Feet Cat 6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet UTP, Solid, Plenum Jacket (CMP), 550MHz, 23AWG Network Cable - White (111438): Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, I was just given 500' of shielded cable at no cost. I don't even have to pay for the stuff. I can't beat that. I'll just put regular connectors on it and won't reap the benefit of shielded but for free, who am I to question.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I was just given 500' of shielded cable at no cost. I don't even have to pay for the stuff. I can't beat that. I'll just put regular connectors on it and won't reap the benefit of shielded but for free, who am I to question.
Again, running shielded cable without a leak path to ground can create noise problems that otherwise wouldn't exist with normal CMR. Just be aware of that.