Best place to buy Cat 5 Cable online?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I get my Ethernet cable from here.http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/f2ZF2Ji
The shielded Cat 6 cable I ordered was of really good quality (copper) and RJ-45 connectors were top noch to. They have all the common cable lengths and standards Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a, Cat7. No minimum order size for free shipping.
very bad idea to buy cable direct from china....who knows wft they are making it out of..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Fenderman, Have you used or tested this brand of Ethernet cables?
No..im not dumb enough to buy cable that cannot be properly tested without spending money on a lab from an unknown seller on ali...The WORST thing you can do is run subpar cable...causes all sorts of unexplained issues, and more importantly lots of work to rewire...
and you have not tested it either - i mean properly tested it...so my point is that users should avoid the temptation of going cheap on critical components like cable...

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No..im not dumb enough to buy cable that cannot be properly tested without spending money on a lab from an unknown seller on ali...The WORST thing you can do is run subpar cable...causes all sorts of unexplained issues, and more importantly lots of work to rewire...
and you have not tested it either - i mean properly tested it...so my point is that users should avoid the temptation of going cheap on critical components like cable...
This cannot be emphasized enough. I am even skeptical about Monoprice as I come from an industry that only accepts Belden. But I have been influenced by others here to trust Monoprice. Of all the places to save a buck, this ain't one. I would never buy cable on Ali.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
In a past life, I specified some custom cat5e wire for a particular application. We needed 12 miles total, to fabricate many hundreds of patch cables. I had the budget to pay a lab to test and certify the cable met specs.
Buying the 8 colored conductors from China, to twist, overmold and imprint here in the USA, was investigated in depth. Buying from China was finaincially very attractive.
From very knowledgeable cable experts, I heard many reasons why using wire from China wasn't a good idea. Some reasons have been mentioned here. I'll add another.
The quality often varies from batch to batch. Meaning I would have to send each different batch of cable out to the lab for testing. Or risk having problems in the field, after installs.
I chose to go with domestic sources. The prospect of variations in quality and performance was too scary.
That said, I use monoprice for my personal needs. I've been pleased with their cat5 and cat6 cables (spools and pre-made patch cables)
Fastb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there honestly any network cable that isn't made in china now a days?
There's a difference between being manufactured in China and a product that's being sold by a Chinese company with no reputation and standards

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
My custom cable supplier bought the individual conductors from a domestic manufacturer in Conneticut. Near Seattle, my supplier twisted 4 pairs, then twisted the pairs , wrapped in foil, wove on shielding, then extruded on the outer jacket and printed our name on the jacket.
All domestic.
Price-wise, can't compete w/ China.
Quality-wise, we were happy.