Best spots to mount cameras?

Squaddup

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys so Im just about ready to pull the trigger on these IPC-HDW2231R-ZS which was recommended by @EMPIRETECANDY.. I was wondering how and where would u mount the cameras? I've never done this before so I'm just tryna learn through this forum.. Thanks and would love to hear your thoughts.

I left a few photo's

Attachments

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For starters welcome and read the Wiki and cover all entrances and exits, garage etc. Don’t mount much if any over 7’ so you won’t see the tops of heads. Spend your time reading and then read more. You’ll likely want different cameras for various locations. How many cams? Using an NVR or PC and Blue Iris? Is your cable run? Each cam has corresponding mounts.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys so Im just about ready to pull the trigger on these IPC-HDW2231R-ZS which was recommended by @EMPIRETECANDY.. I was wondering how and where would u mount the cameras? I've never done this before so I'm just tryna learn through this forum.. Thanks and would love to hear your thoughts.

I left a few photo's
Welcome @Squaddup

Look for the test rig and the cliff notes for ideas.

Setup a test rig and one camera and test possible locations.

I would a have at least 2 cameras covering the parking area by the garage door - one on each side of the door - about 6-8 feet high. Test the locations at night as the lights on the side will affect your camera placement.

Squaddup

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm thinking 6 cameras all together. @mat200 do you mean one outter side of the house and one in the garage.. And also is any reason I shouldn't buy all of the same cameras? All cameras will be outdoors
Gonna buy just 2 cams just to get a little experience with em first.
Welcome @Squaddup

Look for the test rig and the cliff notes for ideas.

Setup a test rig and one camera and test possible locations.

I would a have at least 2 cameras covering the parking area by the garage door - one on each side of the door - about 6-8 feet high. Test the locations at night as the lights on the side will affect your camera placement.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm thinking 6 cameras all together. @mat200 do you mean one outter side of the house and one in the garage.. And also is any reason I shouldn't buy all of the same cameras? All cameras will be outdoors
Hi @Squaddup

The Dahua OEM 2MP starlight turret IPC-HDW2231R-ZS is a good option for most all camera positions that we would consider due to the varifocal feature allowing you to customize the FOV.

So I would have no issues buying all of that model for most setups, with perhaps one of the dual lens or just single lens mini-dome wedges by the front door. ( WAF wants a smaller camera on the front door )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study the Cliff Notes as Mat suggested.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Howzit! (ex Island boy)
I might recommed the fixed IPC-HFW4239T-ASE 2MP. The low light ability is second to none. I have almost all the dauha starlight cameras. This one really blows me away. Low light Lux at .001. Works really well with almost no light.
Here a shot from one of my cameras (6mm). completely dark outside, and the camera makes it look like early evening. (might also add, one of he cheapest of the starlight models) nighttime.jpg

Last edited:

Dlohse

n3wb
Reaction score
Weigh up between neatness and quality of image, nobody likes a messy install. A cavity in your wall will hopefully be your best friend.