Best Standalone NVR

65kfoster

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all im looking for a standalone NVR for 4 cameras at my inlaws house. They are not tech savvy so having something complicated like blue iris running will not be possible for them.

The main problem im running into is i want something simple that has a decent app. Bascially all they need is to be able to review alerts on their smartphone and It amazes me how under served the consumer market is in this area. I completely see why so many people go with a ring camera or something similar and to be honest at this moment that's what im leaning on recommending to them even though every bone in my body doesnt want to.

I dont have a problem running quality Dahua cameras but im worried about running a Dahua NVR connected to the outside world even if i can isolate the NICs or use a VPN.

Does any US based company make a budget NVR that would serve this purpose thats simple for non tech people?

Thanks

Reaction score
Nellys has a new r series dvr that uses an app for web viewing. They claim plug and play without having to open ports etc.
Their support has always been fantastic.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all im looking for a standalone NVR for 4 cameras at my inlaws house. They are not tech savvy so having something complicated like blue iris running will not be possible for them.

The main problem im running into is i want something simple that has a decent app. Bascially all they need is to be able to review alerts on their smartphone and It amazes me how under served the consumer market is in this area. I completely see why so many people go with a ring camera or something similar and to be honest at this moment that's what im leaning on recommending to them even though every bone in my body doesnt want to.

I dont have a problem running quality Dahua cameras but im worried about running a Dahua NVR connected to the outside world even if i can isolate the NICs or use a VPN.

Does any US based company make a budget NVR that would serve this purpose thats simple for non tech people?

Thanks
Once you properly set up Blue Iris, using the BI app to review footage is a piece of cake. There is no need for them to have to mess with the PC it is running on if they don't want to.
You can remotely maintain the PC if needed.
Blue Iris beats the pants off of any NVR app.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1 - You disable Windows updates and set up the computer to automatically restart in a power failure and BI as a service, and then you have a more powerful NVR with a better mobile viewing interface.

65kfoster

n3wb
Reaction score
Bi isnt going to be a option. I know everyone on this forum loves BI and I use it myself but i completely understand their perspective. It really is alot of overhead for people who just want some simple camera monitoring.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR should be from the same manufacture as the cameras. Mix and Match with cameras and NVRs do wont work well. Do not mix Chinese hack cameras with an international NVR. Stick with major manufactures Dahua or Hikvision. Purchas all equipment from the same vendor.

Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo, Vivint cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras.

Do not allow direct internet access to the cameras or the NVR

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks
hi @65kfoster

"Best Standalone NVR", " budget NVR", "simple for non tech people"

Consumer cloud based security camera services claim to be good for non-tech people. Naturally, most of us here do not consider those as "best" option for many reasons.

imho the bottom line: "There is no perfect system". Accept that and then work what is most critical for you.

Easy of use, may mean you get worse image quality.

NVRs - you need to pair with the appropriate cameras to maximize functionality.

Right now, with the supply constraints I have found few products I would recommend for family and friends as many have smaller sensors than I would like to see in kits.