BI and Facial Recognition?

Reaction score
Is there a tool or any plans for Blue Iris to incorporate person/facial recognition into the software? Not just that it is a person, but that it is a specific person? Has anyone done this this OpenCV or Rekognition?

It seems like the next frontier for video camera systems is to not just record or alert on general movement but to alert on more specific things from the many video streams. Throw an alert and record when a non family member/employee is detected not just upon movement, etc.

rearden

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a tool or any plans for Blue Iris to incorporate person/facial recognition into the software? Not just that it is a person, but that it is a specific person? Has anyone done this this OpenCV or Rekognition?

It seems like the next frontier for video camera systems is to not just record or alert on general movement but to alert on more specific things from the many video streams. Throw an alert and record when a non family member/employee is detected not just upon movement, etc.

rearden
Not going to happen at 60 dollars....there is lots of work as well as patents to pay for. You also need adequate pixel density and proper angles. Blue iris is developed by a single person...best you could hope for is allowing you to integrate with another package at a very high cost...unlikely...

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm using Rekognition by feeding the JPGs at one second intervals from BI's output only during motion events through the SDK and it's great but I'd prefer to have BI directly integrate the SDK. Users would be responsible for paying their own AWS Rekognition fees.

I haven't yet tried to plug a HLS stream from BI into Rekognition which would be more ideal and wouldn't result in my script having to clean up the old jpgs as time marches on. The pricing is more expensive too with streaming video but you'd get faster alerts.

Rekognition seems to be able to recognize all kinds of objects and people and provides json meta back for you to process.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using Rekognition by feeding the JPGs at one second intervals from BI's output only during motion events through the SDK and it's great but I'd prefer to have BI directly integrate the SDK. Users would be responsible for paying their own AWS Rekognition fees.

I haven't yet tried to plug a HLS stream from BI into Rekognition which would be more ideal and wouldn't result in my script having to clean up the old jpgs as time marches on. The pricing is more expensive too with streaming video but you'd get faster alerts.

Rekognition seems to be able to recognize all kinds of objects and people and provides json meta back for you to process.
EMail support and see what he says, this is a great idea..

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

@sorka Can you share details on how you did this? Any Github code you are willing to share?

What practical things are you doing with the returned JSON? (Example: Are you able to recognize the same person each time, like Emily, and trigger a voice alert to announce that Emily is at the door?)

What do you think your cost will be after the free period?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. I did and he responded that cpu usage was already an issue with regular motion detection on BI. I don't think he got it that this was a cloud based service. I replied with a clarification of what Rekognition is and provided the getting started and API doc link:

What Is Amazon Rekognition? - Amazon Rekognition

I want to disable jpg production when the alarm is not armed during the day bust still have it process images at night even if the alarm is not active so I'm going to use the http request to change the BI profile for cameras to copied profifles for day and night that don't have the save jpg image option set.

Amazon gives you the first 5000 images / month free and then charges $1 for every 1000 images after that up to 1 million images / month at which point it goes the the next discounted tier.

It also supports video and streaming video, but I don't think my upstream bandwidth would handle serving up multiple HLS streams at once. I have 14 cameras and 4 of them on the front are typically active at once. Although only two of them are good enough to read license plates but picking jpgs at 1 second intervals will likely miss the windows at which the LPs are most easily read so video streaming would be better for those two.

But for that, I'd really need to know when the motion detection stops. I could wait and send the video up after the event is complete but then the response would be

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@sorka Can you share details on how you did this? Any Github code you are willing to share?

What practical things are you doing with the returned JSON? (Example: Are you able to recognize the same person each time, like Emily, and trigger a voice alert to announce that Emily is at the door?)

What do you think your cost will be after the free period?
It was actually pretty straight forward. I ripped off the following example and modified it:

Step 4: Getting Started Using the API - Amazon Rekognition

Using the SDK, you don't need to deal with formatting json or uuencoding the images into base64. The SDK will do that for you. Structured results are returned so you don't have to parse json directly.

Based on my current usage, I'm producing about 500 images a day so I'm looking at 10K images above for the free tier or about $10 / month which is moderately pricey. I'm hoping that after a year, the price will drop.

My example is really hacky. It was just for proof of concept. When I have some time to spend polishing it, I'll upload it to github and then maybe someone can take it and improve it.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, the way I read the pricing is that I could get 5K images AND 1000 minutes of video / month. So having some cameras feeding an HLS stream to AWS would allow me to save on image uploads. But again, if I'm going to send a stream rather than a finished clip, I'd need to have an end event trigger of some sort that I could use to end the AWS stream upload.

Amazon Rekognition – Pricing - AWS

blulegend

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Following. I love the idea of smarter recognition but would ideally like for it to be done locally.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Google photos, all alert images uploaded there has provided some interesting results for free. Some object detection (neighbor’s pets) and some facial dectection/recognition. Also creates some interesting “animations” based on photos from a given camera. I set it up for fun and a backup of alert images and it’s been neat.

Kristopher

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman - please consider the excellent dlib library for facial recognition in BI. Not only is the library free and fast, but its what Amazon and others use for their facial recognition anyway.

davisking/dlib

Please let me know if you would like me to help you implement the library. I would also love to add this feature to BI instead of using a script to tag faces like I do now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman - please consider the excellent dlib library for facial recognition in BI. Not only is the library free and fast, but its what Amazon and others use for their facial recognition anyway.

davisking/dlib

Please let me know if you would like me to help you implement the library. I would also love to add this feature to BI instead of using a script to tag faces like I do now.
I have nothing to do with blue iris...you would need to contact the developer..

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

davisking/dlib

Are you able to share more about what and how you implemented it? I would love to have a try.

Do you have anything for license plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe that Sentry AI is working on facial recognition. I'm not sure how many iterations before this capability is included with Sentry AI, but I believe that it is on their road map. This would be the best route to go with since Sentry is already integrated with BI. @varghesesa any update on this?

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe that Sentry AI is working on facial recognition. I'm not sure how many iterations before this capability is included with Sentry AI, but I believe that it is on their road map. This would be the best route to go with since Sentry is already integrated with BI. @varghesesa any update on this?

Fair enough, I have already emailed them asking these questions. I do want to explore other avenues though, this will be a good learning exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smith123

n3wb
Reaction score
Google photos, all alert images uploaded there has provided some interesting results for free. Some object detection (neighbor’s pets) and some facial dectection/recognition. Also creates some interesting “animations” based on photos from a given camera. I set it up for fun and a backup of alert images and it’s been neat.
Where do you get the results from this?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
reflectacles_1.png

Some pricey eye wear for subverting face recognition in our surveillance society. Reflectacles.com

Last edited:

iammrbt

n3wb
Reaction score

davisking/dlib

Please let me know if you would like me to help you implement the library. I would also love to add this feature to BI instead of using a script to tag faces as I do now.
Kristopher, this is super old I have no idea if this will actually reach you.

I've been working on a Python script to do just this and send out a notification. I'm curious to your approach as I've been struggling between doing it through a live stream of video using a ffstream as a buffer for cv2 or using a loop of jpgs with something more accurate line a cnn running through and tallying who comes to the front door/ alerting on "unknown" with plans to save the unknowns for training into the modal once they're identified.