Bi app or solution

dave888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Id like to view my cams on my phone. Im quite new to bi so appolgies if this has been covered before. What is the best way to view remotely. I heard mixed reviews on the bi app. Id like something quick and easy to use.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Download the official blue iris app.. it's ten bucks.. it's excellent the mix reviews come from people who don't know a port from a pot... Then they wonder why they can't connect remotely..

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick and easy may be hard to achieve if you have no experience with router configuration. The "easiest" way is to use a VPN on your router, VPN app on your phone and load the credential file from your routers VPN onto the phone. The easiest VPN to use is OpenVPN and it's free. Once you have that installed, and working, you can access BI remotely using the built in webserver, UI3, just as if you are on your own, home, network no matter where you are. See this thread, VPN Primer for Noobs for in depth instructions.

Above all, DO NOT FORWARD ANY PORTS!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
The BI app is perfectly useful for me (on Android - haven't used the IOS version).
There's also the web UI (UI3) which can work on a phone or tablet.

Try it, you'll like it!...

and keep in mind, that whatever your remote viewing solution is, you need to take the proper precautions, security-wise.
BI is not unique in that respect. (ie, VPN vs open ports on your router via UPNP, etc...)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the BI app on my families android phones daily. Absolutely no problems.
I also connect using openVPN on the asus router for security, no open ports.

For my 10 inch android tablet and my windows laptop i use the BI web interface UI3 with openVPN.