BI Best Practices?

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am running the latest version on a Lenovo TS-140 server (Core i3 4150 3.5 GHz) and starting to learn how to tune BI and the do's and dont's.

One question, I am running a Hikvision 2mp camera and two foscam units and the CPU/Ram usage is decent (CPU = 14%, RAM 515mb). Though I noticed I am eating up a lot of GB's for every 24 hours of recording (set to triggered +continuous each). I am currently around 12.7GB for the last eight days. Is this normal? I have three more cameras coming and need to figure out a sweet spot.

What can I do here? Will direct to disc recording help reduce the file size consumed?

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am running the latest version on a Lenovo TS-140 server (Core i3 4150 3.5 GHz) and starting to learn how to tune BI and the do's and dont's.

One question, I am running a Hikvision 2mp camera and two foscam units and the CPU/Ram usage is decent (CPU = 14%, RAM 515mb). Though I noticed I am eating up a lot of GB's for every 24 hours of recording (set to triggered +continuous each). I am currently around 12.7GB for the last eight days. Is this normal? I have three more cameras coming and need to figure out a sweet spot.

What can I do here? Will direct to disc recording help reduce the file size consumed?

Thanks!
storage size is based on the camera bitrate...
also setting trigger + continuous is likely no what you want.....see help file...if you want to record continuously and keep triggers, set it to continuous.

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just set it to continuous and will monitor it. As a good rule of thumb, am I pushing my hikvision too hard at 30fps?

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just set it to continuous and will monitor it. As a good rule of thumb, am I pushing my hikvision too hard at 30fps?
You should not have to set your cam to 30fps, unless you have some real fast targets running through your FOV. Just burning up too much storage. 15fps should be around the max you should shoot for. Set you cam data rate to VBR and bound it with a maximum rate to save storage also.

Last edited:

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should not have to set your cam to 30fps, unless you have some real fast targets running through your FOV. Just burning up too much storage. 15fps should be around the max you should shoot for. Set you cam data rate to VBR and bound it with a maximum rate to save storage also.

I'll give that a try. Since last night after switching over to continuous and motion trigger, I am now standing at 28GB consumed! This is after clearing my entire file set in order to give it a fresh start.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll give that a try. Since last night after switching over to continuous and motion trigger, I am now standing at 28GB consumed! This is after clearing my entire file set in order to give it a fresh start.
yes that is normal..again its all in the bitrate...

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what do you guys normally see in your setups? I am trying to gauge how much data a single camera is expected to consumer with a tuned setup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what do you guys normally see in your setups? I am trying to gauge how much data a single camera is expected to consumer with a tuned setup.
there is no normal...it depends on what you set your bitrate to...and if you use VBR, it can be lower if the scene is quiet...

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BI will automatically adjust based on what is coming from the camera.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you set it to, BI will change it.

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think the settings are set per the recommendations found here, but can someone please confirm?

upload_2018-2-7_23-7-27.png

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your I frame is a little high. If you have a lot of movement in your FOV you should probably update your entire frame at least every second (i frame 15 if running 15 fps), if you have slower or not much movement something like I frame 30. Just remember, that the more I frames, the less efficient your codec. Meaning the more storage you will need, but high I frame produces less digital noise. You need to evaluate for your conditions and amount of HD space you have to work with.