BI crash with reolink

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have the latest version of BI (4) and currently three cameras running, the one that seems to be causing the issue is a reolink RLC-410. BI will give me the "encountered problem and needs to close" message. The reason I think it is due to the reolink is because the time stamp on the other two stay current but the reolink will lag behind and "catch up". I also had that camera freeze up one time. I changed the reolink to 720p with 20 fps and a max bit rate of 2048. it also gives you the option of "stream type" which can be "clear" or "fluent" I have it set on "clear". There is also a setting for a H.264 profile which gives you the option of baseline, main or high, I have it on main. Keep in mind this is done through the camera itself. I have put the BI settings set at 1280x720 image size with a frame rate of 20fps. Deinterlace set to none...
Any ideas, program works great otherwise.
Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have the latest version of BI (4) and currently three cameras running, the one that seems to be causing the issue is a reolink RLC-410. BI will give me the "encountered problem and needs to close" message. The reason I think it is due to the reolink is because the time stamp on the other two stay current but the reolink will lag behind and "catch up". I also had that camera freeze up one time. I changed the reolink to 720p with 20 fps and a max bit rate of 2048. it also gives you the option of "stream type" which can be "clear" or "fluent" I have it set on "clear". There is also a setting for a H.264 profile which gives you the option of baseline, main or high, I have it on main. Keep in mind this is done through the camera itself. I have put the BI settings set at 1280x720 image size with a frame rate of 20fps. Deinterlace set to none...
Any ideas, program works great otherwise.
Thanks!
BI resolution settings dont matter, it adjust to whatever the camera is sending. What is your cpu consumption on average?

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have all the windows updates installed? Check event viewer for crash info.
I will made some changes to camera will see if it made difference. The other two cameras time syncs perfectly so it makes me think it is the reolink

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you say check event viewer do you mean the log in bi?
No, the windows event viewer.
With respect to the sync issue try deleting the camera and adding it back. Also, when its lagging, log into the cameras web interface and see if it lags there as well.

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, the windows event viewer.
With respect to the sync issue try deleting the camera and adding it back. Also, when its lagging, log into the cameras web interface and see if it lags there as well.
I will check it out, I activated another camera I have set up and the time was synced with the others.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure you are using the latest firmware in the cameras. I have the RLC-410 cameras and they work fine, however, the manufacturer issued a couple of FW updates specifically to address issues with BI. Even though you may have just bought them, check the FW version as they may have been 'old stock' sitting on a shelf in someone's warehouse.

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure you are using the latest firmware in the cameras. I have the RLC-410 cameras and they work fine, however, the manufacturer issued a couple of FW updates specifically to address issues with BI. Even though you may have just bought them, check the FW version as they may have been 'old stock' sitting on a shelf in someone's warehouse.
I checked and am running latest firmware, Fenderman, I checked the event log, it does show blue iris had an issue but no real details. I will try your other suggestions as well.

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I deleted the camera, changed the password to match the others and reinstalled it, the clocks on all cameras are now synced, let's see if that solves the freeze issue, cpu is running about 40% so everything seems like it is good for now, will keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I noticed that during the day, the reolink works great, clocks are synced etc. However when the IR lights came on, I noticed a lag again, interesting, any ideas?
Also on the options on BI I noticed it has a button for "check dynamic ip automatically and every x minutes" does that mean if you have a dynamic ip from your isp you don't need a dns service when viewing remotely? Is that just for the client app?
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I noticed that during the day, the reolink works great, clocks are synced etc. However when the IR lights came on, I noticed a lag again, interesting, any ideas?
Also on the options on BI I noticed it has a button for "check dynamic ip automatically and every x minutes" does that mean if you have a dynamic ip from your isp you don't need a dns service when viewing remotely? Is that just for the client app?
Thanks
Is it delayed in the web browser as well - logging into the cameras interface?
The dynamic ip is an option that works with apple the client app and acts like a dynamic dns service. You are better off using your own ddns service.
EDIT: it works with android as well.

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it delayed in the web browser as well - logging into the cameras interface?
The dynamic ip is an option that works with the apple client app and acts like a dynamic dns service. You are better off using your own ddns service.
So it works with the app but you recommend a ddns service any particular reason? I haven't tried remote access yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So it works with the app but you recommend a ddns service any particular reason? I haven't tried remote access yet.
If you plan to use the browser remotely then you need a ddns service. I forgot that the function had been added to the android app as well, I edited my original post to reflect that.
A quality ddns service will probably be more reliable as well, though I havent heard of any downtime using the blue iris ddns.
If you are looking for remote access via the app then you can use the blue iris service..