BI Demo Crashes every hour...

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just installed BI as a Demo, got the cams up and running (HUGE shoutout to Fenderman for all the help!). Looks great, except- it crashes every hour. I'm not even sure how I go about diagnosing this?

Windows 10
16gb Ram

Merely running web browser for simple tasks.

Is there an error log somewhere?

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can have BI log to a file, via the Blue Iris Status dialog:

On the Messages tab, there is a checkbox at the bottom. Though I doubt you will get anything useful from here.

Is your system maxing out the CPU or memory for any reason? If BI's memory usage is constantly growing, you might be affected by a memory leak that affects skylake processors using Quick Sync Video via some of the latest Intel drivers.

If CPU and memory usage look good and steady, you may need to report the crashes to the developer. Blue Iris's help file, under the Troubleshooting section, has some information about reporting crashes.

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, a couple things-
I've purchased the full version, and it's the latest update. The log file only says "Restarted after unexpected shutdown". There's no reason or explanation. What can I do to correct this?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using hardware accelerated video decoding? Is memory usage growing slowly until you are out of free memory?

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure, to be honest. How do I find that out?

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No acceleration. On an i7 w/ 16gb ram. I don't think I'm using up all the memory...

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Intel i7-3770k 3.50ghz
64-Bit Windows 10
16gb ram

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is not exactly. Custom built machine, had Win 7 on it previously then upgraded to 10. Shouldn't all the software/drivers be clean installed with the BI Installer?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is not exactly. Custom built machine, had Win 7 on it previously then upgraded to 10. Shouldn't all the software/drivers be clean installed with the BI Installer?
do a clean install...that is a must...use the windows 10 media creation tool....

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a file, or driver that might be damaged/missing in which a clean install fixes? I'd like to avoid the clean install if at all possible... ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a file, or driver that might be damaged/missing in which a clean install fixes? I'd like to avoid the clean install if at all possible... ;)
you are wasting your time...a clean install takes under 30 minuets and if you have an SSD you can do it in about 10-15...

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right... but what about all the settings and programs I've installed- those would all be wiped out, correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right... but what about all the settings and programs I've installed- those would all be wiped out, correct?
You can easily export your blue iris settings...you should not have any other software running on your blue iris machine except maybe at time server and blue iris tools...you should not be using your regular home pc for blue iris...you are asking for trouble and conflicts..

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WOW! I wish I had known that before I purchased it! Ugggghhhh. So, I need to build a separate PC just to run BI? Any specific requirements I need to know about? I might be able to scrap something together for this, but don't want to build the wrong thing.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!! I really appreciate it!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
WOW! I wish I had known that before I purchased it! Ugggghhhh. So, I need to build a separate PC just to run BI? Any specific requirements I need to know about? I might be able to scrap something together for this, but don't want to build the wrong thing.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!! I really appreciate it!
Dont scrap..you can buy a PC for 300...there are about 50 threads discussing PC for blue iris.... using a dedicated PC is common sense... using your personal PC with a patched together os and a bunch of crud will lead to problems. .

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK will do. I'll search and buy something new. Thank you!