BI Mobile Setup

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
Hello all

Need some help with setting up my iPhone with BI. The phone app has 4 possible settings: user ID, password, local service address, and external server address. I have taken information from my BI options software tab, Web Server, and entered it into the iPhone with no luck. I got the user name and password from the users section in BI options. Nothing seems to work. A little help would be appreciated. Please keep it simple as possible. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all

Need some help with setting up my iPhone with BI. The phone app has 4 possible settings: user ID, password, local service address, and external server address. I have taken information from my BI options software tab, Web Server, and entered it into the iPhone with no luck. I got the user name and password from the users section in BI options. Nothing seems to work. A little help would be appreciated. Please keep it simple as possible. Thanks
Make sure the windows firewall is not blocking blue iris..
Post a screen shot of your settings (redact any wan information)

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that the user name and password fields are case sensitive so make sure you are putting in the user name exactly as entered on the server.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try and keep this simple to start. Let's try and get your internal setup working first.

1. Ensure that your mobile device is sitting on the same network as the BI server
2. From mobile BI app, click on Add new server... connect
4. Enter 192.168.1.2:81 into Local server address field
5. Give your User ID and Password from one of the valid user accounts on the BI Server (case sensitive)
6. Hit "OK"

If this does not connect you to your server, you likely have a Windows firewall or anti-virus application on the server end that is blocking this connection.

Let us know if this works for you.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On iPhone, go Settings > Wi-Fi > click the i with circle around it for your network > Ensure the IP Address is on your network (ie 192.168.1.XXX for you).

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
The only thing there is my Wi-Fi which is secure and my printer. My email alerts in BI are working OK.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The idea for step #1 is to ensure that your iPhone and your BI server are on the same network to elliminate the port forwarding of your rounter and such. As long as your iPhone is connecting to the same wifi router as your BI server is plugged into, you should be fine to continue on with step #2.

Edit: Make sure Wifi is turned on for your iPhone... NOT 4G/LTE data

Last edited by a moderator:

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
Ok nothings working then. Just to be sure the user name and password comes from the user tab under BI options? The firewall allows BI through there are two boxes that can be checked one home/work(private) and the other public. Only the public box is checked. Some others such as google chrome have both boxes checked.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, the user name and password are from the BI server settings page, users tab. Does the user you are trying to use have Administrator privilages? You can check in the users tab in settings on the server.

Also, what is the error that you are getting on the iPhone when you try and connect?

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
does not have administrative privileges.

the message is : unable to make connection; check server address.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For troubleshooting purposes, can you try the following:

#1 Turn off the Windows firewall (yes, it will complain, but it is only temp.)
#2 Turn off or pause and anti-virus you have active (just temp.)

Try and connect from the phone to server once more. Report back the error (if any) from the iPhone.

d-rad

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you ruppmeister for going through this... I'm having similar issues, and appreciate the step-by-step! New to BI... while its certainly complex, its logical and, getting pointed in the right direction is very much appreciated!!!

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Bentley That looks correct to me. I see you are on Wi-Fi and have the correct server IP:port information. Did you turn off the firewall and anti-virus and were you able to connect?

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
Firewalls and anti virus turned off. same message: unable to make connection; check server address.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only thing I can think at this point is that your server IP is not what BI is reporting it as.

Try this:

#1 From the BI Server open cammand prompt [Win7] [Win8]
#2 Type "ipconfig" into the cammand line (no quotes)
#3 Under Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: look for IP Address....

We have to make sure your router has not changed your local IP Address. It should read the same as the BI interface is reporting (192.168.1.2 in your case).

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
Ruppmeister the problem has been solved. The problem as you figured out was with the IP address. Mr Fendermn as been working with me for quite some time about this problem. In my case on the web server there's an interfaces box that was set to 192.168.2. Mr. F said that can't be. My Lan I set at 192.168.1.2:81. I guess that make them the same. I clicked on the interfaces box and a second IP address was there. It was 192.168.10.107. I used that and everything worked.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Bentley Glad you were able to figure it out.

Just remember to turn your firewall and anti-virus back to on and retest it internally before trying out the external connection. Also, it is a good practice to set a static IP address for your server so it doesn't change on you ever.