BI on Intel NUC i5-7260U, RAM:4GB, HDD:1TB, 16GB OPTANE 7I5BNHXF

Manic

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I have 5 Hikvision cameras that were running on a dedicated BI laptop 24x7. The laptop battery and motherboard died on a hot day and I'm looking to replace it. I 'm looking at an i5 INtel NUC with the following specs:
Intel NUC i5-7260U, RAM:4GB, HDD:1TB, 16GB OPTANE 7I5BNHXF; Win 10 64bit

I will prob add a Purple WD external HDD.

I've read some not so great reviews about the NUC's.

I like them for their low power consumption and size. What are people's experiences with NUC's and BI? Are they def a no go?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have 5 Hikvision cameras that were running on a dedicated BI laptop 24x7. The laptop battery and motherboard died on a hot day and I'm looking to replace it. I 'm looking at an i5 INtel NUC with the following specs:

I like them for their low power consumption and size. What are people's experiences with NUC's and BI? Are they def a no go?

Thanks.
Won't use much less power than a desktop...a desktop has room for a 3.5 drive...and will be half the price for more power

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking at this same NUC to replace an i7 2600 running 16 Hikvision cameras @ 1080p. I'm more looking for something that's space saver, so a desktop wont work for me. Are the specs of that NUC good for BI?

Roger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run it on a NUC. Works fine, though I have some driver issue I have not found yet that causes a BSOD occasionally. Run about 7 cameras and my CPU is around 24%.

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run it on a NUC. Works fine, though I have some driver issue I have not found yet that causes a BSOD occasionally. Run about 7 cameras and my CPU is around 24%.
Great, is this with Hardware Acceleration enabled?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks.
Plan for 8GB of RAM to get a decent amount

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at this same NUC to replace an i7 2600 running 16 Hikvision cameras @ 1080p. I'm more looking for something that's space saver, so a desktop wont work for me. Are the specs of that NUC good for BI?
It will choke....if you need 16 cams I'm sure you can find space for a sff PC. You always want to rrcodr local preferably to a 3.5 drive

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Let me know how this works out. I have a Linux NAS with 23 hard drives and an ESXi box; and I am looking for something small that the wife won't notice. These go in a closet in the basement, but if I put another rack mount in-- she might pick up on it.

Ideally I'd like something with a remote controlled BIOS (all my servers are Super Micros), but I am not sure what I can get in a small form factor that way.... I'd like the BI box on the same switch as the NAS and use that for storage. I might even be able to provision the NAS and the BI box to have a point to point connection for the data store.

My guess is I will have to end up building something with a SuperMicro board. Not crazy about running Windows again, but the pros of BI seem to justify it. IPMI seems like it will be a requirement.