BI program keeps closing down on its own

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the past 2 or 3 months, when I check first thing in the morning for camera activity the previous night I regularly find that the BI program is not running. The computer is running fine, showing desktop screen but nothing else such as crash reports or errors etc. I click on the BI icon and BI opens and works fine, then 2 or 3 days later I find it has closed again, normally during the night - it seems like a complete mystery how this could happen. I'm running W10 on an Optiplex 990 i5 3.2Ghz 8gb ram. Anyone have any ideas please? Also, is there any alert message I can set up which will tell me BI has stopped running? I have the 'restart alert' but that only alerts me after I've restarted the program.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We've had issues in the past (since resolved) that caused BI to crash but it always resulted in a Windows error message being left on the screen that said something like "An error caused your program to stop running" or similar. This time there's nothing, it's just as if someone clicked on BI and closed it. Is this any kind of clue as to what's happening? I'll get the Windows error logs checked later today.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you check the window down event log ?
Is bi running as a service ?
Is the service ER toauro restart?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For the past 2 or 3 months, when I check first thing in the morning for camera activity the previous night I regularly find that the BI program is not running. The computer is running fine, showing desktop screen but nothing else such as crash reports or errors etc. I click on the BI icon and BI opens and works fine, then 2 or 3 days later I find it has closed again, normally during the night - it seems like a complete mystery how this could happen. I'm running W10 on an Optiplex 990 i5 3.2Ghz 8gb ram. Anyone have any ideas please? Also, is there any alert message I can set up which will tell me BI has stopped running? I have the 'restart alert' but that only alerts me after I've restarted the program.
is this a clean install of w10 with no junk added?

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it's a clean install on a dedicated computer, not running any other programs. BI is running as a service and I think I've managed to enable the auto-start feature now. Below is the crash report from the most recent event:

BlueIris.exe
5c019f41
MSVCR120.dll
524f83ff
c0000005
000000000003c630
16fc
01d4894696738188
C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\MSVCR120.dll
7e576105-d58e-4964-9f6a-abca057e36b0

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you run with widows update? Is windows current ?

Sorry the damn auto correct.

Last edited:

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I can't understand what you're talking about. What is a 'does update'? I tried that term in Google but nothing came up.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that - another case of different countries divided by a common language! Yes Windoes is all updated and current... For those who are experts in such things, are there any clues in the Windoes error report I posted?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No, there really aren't any clues. At least none that would be useful to anyone besides the BI developer.

MSVCR120.dll was mentioned, but this is just the Visual C++ runtime library (one of the low-level components Blue Iris was built on) and knowing that file was involved basically says nothing.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for that - another case of different countries divided by a common language! Yes Windoes is all updated and current...
Understood.

And BTW, it's "Windows" like in our house, as it can be a real "pane" in the "GL-ass." :facepalm:

Sorry...I just could not pass up the opportunity.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I like mine...What's wrong with this ^$%^ computer? Oh, it's running Winduhs 10!

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there anything on the PC that requires a reboot after running, such as Virus protection? Since you are running BI as a service the console won't run until you run it but BI is running in the background. The next time this happens see if you can use Ui3 in your browser to log in and check.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I usually use Ui3 browser (as I'm in a different location using a different computer) to check the cameras in the morning so yes, that's when I discover that Ui3 is 'not connecting' and then I go to the cameras computer later to view directly from BI program only to find that it's not open, so to speak. As far is I know, there's nothing on that computer that would instigate a reboot, it's the reason we have a dedicated computer just for the cameras, to avoid that situation.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This may be overkill but worth a try.
Backup your blue iris configuration, Make sure you have the BI KEY Uninstall blue iris. Run chkdsk on you C drive where BI was installed, with a reboot. Download an reinstall BI,

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I usually use Ui3 browser (as I'm in a different location using a different computer) to check the cameras in the morning so yes, that's when I discover that Ui3 is 'not connecting' and then I go to the cameras computer later to view directly from BI program only to find that it's not open, so to speak. As far is I know, there's nothing on that computer that would instigate a reboot, it's the reason we have a dedicated computer just for the cameras, to avoid that situation.
Then I would install Blue Iris Tools as @awsum140 suggested. If BI shuts down then BIT will restart it.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awsum140 suggested I 'check windows error logs, carefully' - that info is a bit over my head so I posted on here, then bp2008 said that this information doesn't really provide any clues. Should I give up on the error logs? It crashed twice last night but fortunately now I've got the auto-restart enabled it came back on again. I'd still like to solve it though.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
From the sound of things it could easily be a hardware problem. Bad memory chip, overheating component, yada yada. That kind of stuff can be hard to trace out. Out of curiosity have you looked at the CPU fan and CPU temperatures? That could cause erratic performance and random shut downs as well.