BI running VERY high CPU 95%+ (see Pic)

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Morning all, I recently noticed that my CPU is running very high. I have a dedicated i5-6500 w/ 8GB RAM soley for BI. I have about 7 cameras, and I have The only real changes I've made recently in the last week were:
1)matching all my iFrames to FPS as per recommendations.
2)Changing one of my dahua to 30FPS & iFrame and 8192 Bit rate
3)Updating windows
4) in BI unchecking BVR in one of the cameras.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I ruled out the recent windows updates as another same spec CPU and amount of cameras had update and no issues w/ CPU usage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
your memory use is high...search memory leak. Does it drop after a reboot?

davekra

n3wb
Reaction score
What version did you go back to?
I've got a similar system that hovers around 60% when viewed remote to the web page.
If I start BI on the server (it's running as a service in Win10) CPU jumps up to 80-90%.
My current driver is Intel 22.20.16.4771
Thanks,
davidk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What version did you go back to?
I've got a similar system that hovers around 60% when viewed remote to the web page.
If I start BI on the server (it's running as a service in Win10) CPU jumps up to 80-90%.
My current driver is Intel 22.20.16.4771
Thanks,
davidk
You should think about limiting the live preview frame rate. Blue Iris is really quite slow at drawing video to the screen.

davekra

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, I've got it set to 10fps currently.
The 45-50% OP mentions seems realistic but is still lower than what I see.
Reading as many threads on CPU utilization as I can and my own experience with my system, I find it hard to believe people can get 25% or lower with 6-10 cameras.
With all cameras removed and BI running CPU is in the single digits. Every camera added increases utilization by the same amount regardless of which order you add them.
I'm open to any suggestions. I'm going to roll back the video driver this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks again.
davidk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, I've got it set to 10fps currently.
The 45-50% OP mentions seems realistic but is still lower than what I see.
Reading as many threads on CPU utilization as I can and my own experience with my system, I find it hard to believe people can get 25% or lower with 6-10 cameras.
With all cameras removed and BI running CPU is in the single digits. Every camera added increases utilization by the same amount regardless of which order you add them.
I'm open to any suggestions. I'm going to roll back the video driver this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks again.
davidk
the number of cameras is irrelevant...its the total number of megapixels and fps..

davekra

n3wb
Reaction score
Right. So, not to hijack this thread but, I currently have 5 cameras running. 4 CMIP3042 running 15fps and 2688*1520 and one Dahua HDW5231r-z running 15fps and 1920*1080. The system is a Dell Inspiron 3650 i5-6400, 8gig mem, Win10 Home. Three physical disks, OS with BI and database, the other two are a single spanned volume.

All cameras set to 4096 bit rate, direct to disk, H.264, RTSP, receive buffer 20mb, hardware encoding Yes(no vpp). GPUz shows the GPU is working at 19% with BI gui closed and 33% with it open. GPU memory usage is 500Mb.

BI shows totals of 2650kB/s and 360MP/s, CPU is hitting 77% right now with me on the console with BI and chrome open to type this. With the BI gui closed and TaskMan open it shows BI at 50-55%.

I do have Chrome Remote Desktop enabled but the numbers I'm giving are while accessing the console directly. Disabling the CRDS service while on the console doesn't affect the utilization numbers.

Thanks again for the help. Any suggestions are welcome.
davidk
If it would be more appropriate to start a new thread just let me know.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right. So, not to hijack this thread but, I currently have 5 cameras running. 4 CMIP3042 running 15fps and 2688*1520 and one Dahua HDW5231r-z running 15fps and 1920*1080. The system is a Dell Inspiron 3650 i5-6400, 8gig mem, Win10 Home. Three physical disks, OS with BI and database, the other two are a single spanned volume.

All cameras set to 4096 bit rate, direct to disk, H.264, RTSP, receive buffer 20mb, hardware encoding Yes(no vpp). GPUz shows the GPU is working at 19% with BI gui closed and 33% with it open. GPU memory usage is 500Mb.

BI shows totals of 2650kB/s and 360MP/s, CPU is hitting 77% right now with me on the console with BI and chrome open to type this. With the BI gui closed and TaskMan open it shows BI at 50-55%.

I do have Chrome Remote Desktop enabled but the numbers I'm giving are while accessing the console directly. Disabling the CRDS service while on the console doesn't affect the utilization numbers.

Thanks again for the help. Any suggestions are welcome.
davidk
If it would be more appropriate to start a new thread just let me know.
are you running the demo?
ensure that each camera has direct to disk enabled and that each camera has hardware accel set to yes or default..
exclude BI program and storage folders from virus scans

davekra

n3wb
Reaction score
Fully licensed. All cams set to d2d with hardware accel Yes(noVPP). Win Defender has exclusions for program dir on C: and the entire E: drive.

Now that you bring it up I need to investigate if Defender excludes the directory AND all subdirectories or if they need to be explicitly excluded.

Thanks,
davidk

p.s. Defender does recursively exclude the directory and sub-directories.

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I would try for starters going to 10fps and 2048 and see what BI is reporting for totals.....I run 14 2MP cams at 6fps @ 2048. I am running a I5-3570 and steady around 30% cpu. Actually my PTZ runs at 15fps @ 4096.....the other 13 cams are all 6fps CBR 2048. My BI totals are : 3540 kB/s 192.9MP/s

davekra

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply after that heated discussion in that other thread.
Turning all 5 cameras down to 10fps and 2048 cuts the BI service CPU utilization almost in half to 30%.
BI reports 1350kb/s and 240MP/s where before, at 15fps 4096, it was 2650kB/s and 360MP/s.
I'll so some searches and experiments to see if there are any best practices on these settings.

So, lowering the numbers reduces the load on BI and that 'limit decoding' button cuts utilization to single digits..what would BI be doing with the camera streams that, prior to the button, could be mitigated by settings or OS tweaks?

I suppose as long as the 'limit decoding' button doesn't interfere with continuous recording or motion events we don't really need to pursue the root cause.
Thank you again for your help.
davidk

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
You just have to find the sweet spot with what your PC can handle. I would like to run my cams at 10fps, but I also like to keep the cpu running somewhere from 30-40%. This gives you a little overhead for reviewing, exporting...etc. BTW....I do not use the new "limit decoding" feature yet. I will likely try it someday, but I am playing around with h.265 at the moment and its one thing at a time :)

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had same problem after Win 10 updated and video driver went to 4771. See this below which @looney2ns sent me. Roll back driver and you can up those bit rates again. 2048 is pretty low. I found 4627 driver was still on my machine and it works as well:

Summary of issues found and a guide on how to fix.
=========================================================================================
Symptoms:
Running BI on a fresh WIN10 PRO install with HW Acceleration enabled will show the following behavior:
  • Slowly creeping CPU usage up to 100%
  • Frequent system crash
Because of the frequent random crashes, the BI system is not workable.

Cause:
The root cause lies in a problem with the video driver when using "Intel HD hardware acceleration" in Blue Iris

Upon fresh install WIN10 PRO installs the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 driver version 22.20.16.4471 which causes this issue and is described on the http://www.IPCAMTALK.COM forum, search for "Memory Leak"

I have tried the following drivers from the Intel support website:

Does not work:
Solution:

Works:

The 21.20.16.4664 driver is included in the [15.45] release package and has to be installed from the win_15418.4664. zip package dated 9/16/2017.

Note: although the website tells you this is not the latest version, be sure to use this one because the latest version will not work.

The zip file can be downloaded from: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]-

If you download the exe file or try installing using the setup.exe will an error message will be generated: "error, driver not validated for this operating system".
To solve this use the following workaround (Courtesy How-to: bypass "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer" :: Planetary Annihilation Bug Reporting! )
  • Download the ZIP version of driver package.
  • Extract the zip file somewhere easy to find, e.g your "Desktop".
  • Go to Device Manager
  • In "Display Adapters" find "Intel(R) HD Graphics"
  • Right click on it and go to "Properties"
  • Now new window should appear.
  • Click "Driver" tab
  • Then click "Update Driver..." button.
  • A new window will appear.
  • Now click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • It's will show you next page.
  • WARNING: DO NOT click on "Browse" here! Ignore this form!
  • Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • In this window click on "Have Disk..." button.
  • A window pop's up to find the driver
  • Navigate to the extracted driver folder
  • Point to the "Graphics" sub-folder
  • Select the Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 650 Driver found in the extracted zip file
  • Clicking next will update the driver. (Screen will flicker several times)
  • Upon completion the Driver property page should list 21.20.16.4664 (4/21/2017)
Restart the system after update and re-check the driver version

The above listed driver and procedure works for Windows 10 PRO version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

IMPORTANT:
Win 10 has received a major update this year (Creators update, 10.0.15063 Build 15063). This update might install automatically or through the WIndows Update shortcut palced on the users desktop. When updating to this build the Display Driver is updated automatically to a non-working version (in my case to 22.20.16.4771)

Downgrading to 21.20.16.4664 (4/21/2017) following the above steps is therefore required.

davekra

n3wb
Reaction score
Oddly enough I didn't have any crashes running 4771 for a month. CPU may have been creeping but I was changing things and rebooting a couple times a week. Longest contiguous on time was a couple weeks.
I rolled back to 4542 and didn't notice any change to CPU utilization but again, it hasn't run for an extended time and I wasn't tracking utilization over time.
Thanks for posting the detailed instructions.
davidk

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I didn't have crashes either, just high cpu. Also memory creeps up. Shitcan 4542 and go with 4664. Hey WTF.