BI updates, are they getting buggier

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I'm fully aware of the good things about BI, actually the only bad thing is the frequent buggie updates IMO. I've been using since shortly after version 4 release. I stopped updating several months ago but cringe when I read posts about update problems.

During my 6 months reading the BI forum, my perception is updates are getting buggier, and more folks recently are turning off auto-update. Because they are now turning it off makes me think updating 3 months ago or longer was generally much cleaner. If so, maybe we can convince the BI team to slow down.

Very smart people make mistakes, I know cause I never make mistakes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm fully aware of the good things about BI, actually the only bad thing is the frequent buggie updates IMO. I've been using since shortly after version 4 release. I stopped updating several months ago but cringe when I read posts about update problems.

During my 6 months reading the BI forum, my perception is updates are getting buggier, and more folks recently are turning off auto-update. Because they are now turning it off makes me think updating 3 months ago or longer was generally much cleaner. If so, maybe we can convince the BI team to slow down.

Very smart people make mistakes, I know cause I never make mistakes.
There is no reason to slow down. You need to understand that this is a support forum, so obviously there will be posts with issues. There are tens of thousands of BI users. For the most part the updates work well. Why in the world would you want updates not to be released. Simply dont install the update if you wish to wait. Auto update should NEVER be turn on for ANY software.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm mostly a lurker but I can say I've been using BI for almost a year now and I generally update every time an update is released. Sometimes it may be every few but mostly every one as it comes. I can say with the simple way I use BI that I do not have many issues, problems or complaints. Sure, I remember an update that broke the clock time but I just waited it out and a few updates later the problem was fixed with another update.

My point is that without this forum and the support I get here, I wouldn't know to wait for a fix or simply go back to an earlier release. And without this forum I wouldn't know what earlier release to back up to. So yeah, reading this forum may look like the problems with BI are increasing with each new update, but those problems don't always effect everyone. Like I said, I only remember the time problem being the only thing that ever effected me. All other updates have always been solid from what I can tell.

As for how I use BI? Simple install with 5 2mp cameras, a mix of hikvisions and eyesurv using the suggested settings found on this site.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
There is no reason to slow down. You need to understand that this is a support forum, so obviously there will be posts with issues. There are tens of thousands of BI users. For the most part the updates work well. Why in the world would you want updates not to be released. Simply dont install the update if you wish to wait. Auto update should NEVER be turn on for ANY software.
I understand what your saying but the software is excellent without all these feature updates that are not IMO necessary. I want the system to be very stable and not gonna consume my time.

As an example the hardware acceleration is something I would be interested in, but when its release and even after I wait 1-2 month, I will be scared shitless to then update cause of all the prior updates will be included with it and I might open up a tremendous amount of problems cause I will not have updated for 4-6 months.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I'm mostly a lurker but I can say I've been using BI for almost a year now and I generally update every time an update is released. Sometimes it may be every few but mostly every one as it comes. I can say with the simple way I use BI that I do not have many issues, problems or complaints. Sure, I remember an update that broke the clock time but I just waited it out and a few updates later the problem was fixed with another update.

My point is that without this forum and the support I get here, I wouldn't know to wait for a fix or simply go back to an earlier release. And without this forum I wouldn't know what earlier release to back up to. So yeah, reading this forum may look like the problems with BI are increasing with each new update, but those problems don't always effect everyone. Like I said, I only remember the time problem being the only thing that ever effected me. All other updates have always been solid from what I can tell.

As for how I use BI? Simple install with 5 2mp cameras, a mix of hikvisions and eyesurv using the suggested settings found on this site.
Yes this forum is very nice, I can kind of be an ass and don't get kicked off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand what your saying but the software is excellent without all these feature updates that are not IMO necessary. I want the system to be very stable and not gonna consume my time.

As an example the hardware acceleration is something I would be interested in, but when its release and even after I wait 1-2 month, I will be scared shitless to then update cause of all the prior updates will be included with it and I might open up a tremendous amount of problems cause I will not have updated for 4-6 months.
Thats the beauty of the OPTIONAL updates...update after a release has been out for a while...this is really simply..dont update on a .0 wait till .3
Features are added because folks ask for them. I understand you may not want an update but thousands of others do.
Its important not to over exaggerate issues simply because 5/10/20 people post a problem. There are thousands of BI users. I can tell you from personal experience with over 20 machines, that if you follow my method you will not have any problems. Quite frankly I have two machines that I update frequently because they are not critical and I never have issues. Worst case, if there is a problem, simply roll it back. Problem solved. Its silly to suggest slowing down development.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
"Its silly to suggest slowing down development" - hmm what about optimizing development, to reduce bad updates. or at least trend it to something in between. I guess I think the speed is too fast and I don't even need many of those features.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"Its silly to suggest slowing down development" - hmm what about optimizing development, to reduce bad updates. or at least trend it to something in between. I guess I think the speed is too fast and I don't even need many of those features.
There are very few bugs which can be easily reversed....you are making an incorrect assumption that waiting six months to release the update in a beta would help. Have you looked at the support forums for the other VMS out there? Do you think they dont have any problems with new releases. You are completely exaggerating the bugs.
Again, you might not need the features but others do. Some features that you dont care about are critical to others. This way everyone can get updates at THEIR own pace. The frequent updates is one of the BEST characteristics of blue iris. Do want them? disable auto update.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not exaggerating, you are exaggerating what I'm trying to communicate. I say slow down updates, vent features prior to putting it in code. Don't prioritize to update frequency to superusers wishes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not exaggerating, you are exaggerating what I'm trying to communicate. I say slow down updates, vent features prior to putting it in code. Don't prioritize to update frequency to superusers wishes.
You are making three incorrect assumptions.
1) that the updates are not vetted. How do you know the extent of any testing.
2) that the features added and updates are because of "superusers" wishes.
3) that slowing down the updates will in any way prevent bugs.
I honestly dont get the problem. Turn off your auto updates. End of story. Why does it bother you that folks have the OPTION to update?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I try to wait 3 or 4 days before I update my Blue Iris installation. During that time I watch out for issues posted on this (or other) cam forums. Presently, I'm running 4.1.9.2 simply because of the BI "issues" which have been reported of late; when it all settles down I will perform the update.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
You are making three incorrect assumptions.
1) that the updates are not vetted. How do you know the extent of any testing.
2) that the features added and updates are because of "superusers" wishes.
3) that slowing down the updates will in any way prevent bugs.
I honestly dont get the problem. Turn off your auto updates. End of story. Why does it bother you that folks have the OPTION to update?
Again you exaggerate, where did I say prevent bugs, the idea is being smooth which I don't think is in your vocabulary

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Again you exaggerate, where did I say prevent bugs, the idea is being smooth which I don't think is in your vocabulary
What does smooth mean?
Its very smooth if you are smart about it. That's the point. You are making assumptions that have no basis. Again, why does it bother you? Just dont update. Why should others suffer and have to wait for updates when there is no evidence suggesting that it will bring improvement. You need to understand that with hundreds of supported cameras, thousands of permutations with respect to system design, there are always going to be a few folks with issues.

Gray Connolly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Updates??? I just simply have to have them, so no complaints here, even daily, I must have them and I will.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Its a little funny, I think Fenderman is so knowledgeable because he has so many systems and had way more problems then he leads us to believe.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its a little funny, I think Fenderman is so knowledgeable because he has so many systems and had way more problems then he leads us to believe.
I resent that notion. Please dont call me a liar. I have zero issues with bugs in my systems. They all chug along just fine. There are many others here that dont have problems. The difference is that unlike you we dont install updates as they come in..we we are smart about it and we wait. Even on the systems that I update more frequently I have hardly had any issues, nothing significant. Worst case, roll it back.
You seem to think that other vms software is bug free. You are WRONG. Go read their forums or use their software. I really do recommend that you switch to a different vms and see how that works out for you.
I am knowledgeable because I use the software and have read every post regarding BI on this and other forums.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Fenderman if you say you never had a problem with any of your 10+ system, then yes your a liar.