BI won't move files

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I posted a bunch of screenshots of the settings. Do you require any others?
The settings look ok, to test, set the store folder on the same drive and see if it actually moves...
If that doesnt help, reinstall blue iris and start fresh so you know what you messed with...it could also be an issue with your external usb drive which is always a bad idea.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I rebuild the database again. Leave it alone for 24 hours.
Also can you actually view what is in the file that will not move. I have had a file not move, it was corrupt after a lighting hit, crash.

Sibley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update. BI moved the last file on it's own - I noticed it while reviewing the rest of last week's videos. (before I tried your last suggestion fenderman)
Yes, I could view the files, they just wouldn't move.
Also, I tried to put an internal in. There was no room in the tower to do so. Poor design. So unless I get a different desktop, I'm stuck with the external.
I know this is very unsatisfying, since the cause is unknown, but I'm happy that it's taken care of at least this time. Thanks all :)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok .. try putting in an SSD for windows, programs, and BI. Then install a 4 TB WD purple drive for the BI files. Also think about removing the CD if you have one.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Sibley, in post #12 you have it set to move clips after 8 days and in post #17 you show the 2 clips from 9/16 and all the others from 9/24. Then your next post says they moved, sounds like BI did it's job and moved them after 8 days. What happened to the clips from 9/17 - 9/23?

Sibley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bob, the clips from 9/16 weren't moving for some reason, but all the others did. I turned on the 8 day thing more recently, and BI took a while to move them both but it did. I have changed the # of days a few times to have BI move files or not based on where I am in reviewing.

Southern Yankee - I'm not willing to put money into the whole setup if I don't have to. Is it ideal? No. However, it works for the most part, and I would prefer to save that money to pay the lawyer to deal with the reason why I got the cameras in the first place. This isn't a fun hobby for me like it is for some on this site, and that means I have different calculations in upgrades, etc.

Reaction score
Along similar lines....my BI setup was configured to move files to an external USB, which worked perfectly. Yesterday, I added a new NAS to our network, mapped a drive (S) created a "Storage" folder, and reconfigured BI to move clips there.

However, it isn't moving any files. The log file says it's moving files, but nothing has been moved to the NAS. I went into the clips/archiving section of BI, and re-typed in the new storage location (S:\Storage), and saved it. Files still won't move. For a test, instead of typing the storage location, I hit the square button to the right of the box, to get BI to select it....and realized BI will not recognize a network drive. It appears to only recognize physically connected drives.

As a further test, I stopped BI services, and restarted, just to see if it would make a difference, and it doesn't - BI won't recognize network drives.

I've attached the BI config settings, and how Windows10 "see" the drives.

Thoughts?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Along similar lines....my BI setup was configured to move files to an external USB, which worked perfectly. Yesterday, I added a new NAS to our network, mapped a drive (S:), created a "Storage" folder, and reconfigured BI to move clips there.

However, it isn't moving any files. The log file says it's moving files, but nothing has been moved to the NAS. I went into the clips/archiving section of BI, and re-typed in the new storage location (S:\Storage), and saved it. Files still won't move. For a test, instead of typing the storage location, I hit the square button to the right of the box, to get BI to select it....and realized BI will not recognize a network drive. It appears to only recognize physically connected drives.

As a further test, I stopped BI services, and restarted, just to see if it would make a difference, and it doesn't - BI won't recognize network drives.

I've attached the BI config settings, and how Windows10 "see" the drives.

Thoughts?
You need to properly configure Windows to work...there are a bunch of threads discussing this as well as the blue iris help file

Reaction score
It took me a bit to dig through the BI Help section, as well as search the forum.....the most helpful thread I discovered, specifically regarding network drives, was this one.

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited: