BI won't use all my available hard drive space.

hoffsta

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the latest BI installed on a Win10 machine. I have an SSD for the OS and dedicated 4Tb drive for storing video. I would like it to use the entire 4Tb before overwriting old files. Whenever I think I've changed the settings correctly, I go back in and see that it's only recording 20Gb to the storage folder.

What I'd like is to have it recording constantly, keep the files I flag indefinitely and only overwrite once the drive is full. What settings should I use to ensure that my whole drive gets used? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the latest BI installed on a Win10 machine. I have an SSD for the OS and dedicated 4Tb drive for storing video. I would like it to use the entire 4Tb before overwriting old files. Whenever I think I've changed the settings correctly, I go back in and see that it's only recording 20Gb to the storage folder.

What I'd like is to have it recording constantly, keep the files I flag indefinitely and only overwrite once the drive is full. What settings should I use to ensure that my whole drive gets used? Thanks.
post your clips and archiving settings for each folder...

hoffsta

n3wb
Reaction score
New:
D:\BlueIris\New
Limit: 100Gb
Move to Stored

Stored:
D:\BlueIris\Stored
Limit: 3800Gb
Delete

Alerts:
D:\BlueIris\Alerts
Limit 100Gb
Move to Stored

I've tried to keep this setup several times and each time I go back and look a couple weeks later, and Stored is reset to 20Gb. No Idea what's happening with that. I currently have a red alert on the main view that says: "!! D: -274.4G" I thought this might mean it is out of space but not sure why it would be. It stays the same if I lower Stored to 3000Gb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
New:
D:\BlueIris\New
Limit: 100Gb
Move to Stored

Stored:
D:\BlueIris\Stored
Limit: 3800Gb
Delete

Alerts:
D:\BlueIris\Alerts
Limit 100Gb
Move to Stored

I've tried to keep this setup several times and each time I go back and look a couple weeks later, and Stored is reset to 20Gb. No Idea what's happening with that. I currently have a red alert on the main view that says: "!! D: -274.4G" I thought this might mean it is out of space but not sure why it would be. It stays the same if I lower Stored to 3000Gb
First understand that a 4tb drive is not 4000gb...its about 3600...you should also leave some free space on the drive...so set the max of all folders combined to about 3400gb...note that nothing is stored in the alert folder unless you select to store high res alert photos in the cameras record tab which is generally not needed....make the changes then restart BI. As to why its going back to 20, i have never seen that...export your settings and reinstall blue iris...

J-K

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll give that a try!
Did this ever get resolved? Im facing the same problem except I left 30gb spare. As the drive fills up the alert returns... rather annoying.

Will restart BI like fenderman suggests while the factory is on lunch and hope that fixes it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did this ever get resolved? Im facing the same problem except I left 30gb spare. As the drive fills up the alert returns... rather annoying.

Will restart BI like fenderman suggests while the factory is on lunch and hope that fixes it.
you certainly have an over allocation problem...post an image of your clip storage tab...hit the icon with 3 vertical bars on top left..

J-K

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks!

The E:\ drive is empty other than video storage so unless im completely missing something... Im sure you can point out the rookie error for me haha

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks!

The E:\ drive is empty other than video storage so unless im completely missing something... Im sure you can point out the rookie error for me haha
The E drive has something other than the storage...
as the clip storage tab shows you have an over allocation error.
As far as blue iris is concerned you the new and stored folders combined currently have 894.7gb of data out of a total of 2.56TB allotted. However the E drive has 1.34 TB of data on it.
Another user had a similar issue with his nas, turns out the nas had its own recycle bin software type setting.
If E is a local disk make sure there is really nothing on it other than video. If that is the case, rebuild the database.

Also, unrelated, disable move/delete after X days...days is irrelevant, all you should care about is maximizing retention based on available disk space.

Reactions: J-K

J-K

n3wb
Reaction score
Force restart and repair DB did the trick. The Blue data line no longer randomly starts part of the way across.
Also turned off the delete after X days.

I believe the error happened from when i moved to a paid version, I moved trial footage from C:\ to a dedicated E:\ and never rebuilt the Db.

Thank you fenderman :)

Attachments

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, similar issue, I'll post what I believe are the necessary screenshots. I initially had the NEW FOLDER limit of 10GB higher but the over allocation happened quicker. ( I'm currently trying 80Gb) I record 24-7 for now and have motion enabled on most cameras (current have 5 installed, 5 to go).
C:/ SSD
X:/ Drive bender pool

Thanks for looking ; )

PC.jpg NEW.jpg ALERTS.jpg STORED.jpg CLIP_STORAGE.jpg

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, similar issue, I'll post what I believe are the necessary screenshots. I initially had the NEW FOLDER limit of 10GB higher but the over allocation happened quicker. ( I'm currently trying 80Gb) I record 24-7 for now and have motion enabled on most cameras (current have 5 installed, 5 to go).
C:/ SSD
X:/ Drive bender pool

Thanks for looking ; )

View attachment 18771 View attachment 18772 View attachment 18773 View attachment 18774 View attachment 18775
Lots of unallocated space on yours. Keep upping the storage ammont until you have about 50 gigs of unallocated space. You should have a sliver of green.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I record 24/7 and have 5-2.1mp cams and 1-4.1mp cam installed. 4tb drive. I get 8 days of recording. Need to add a second drive soon.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I bumped the "NEW" size way up, seemed to work for a few days, then I got another over allocation error again. Also fills up the "C" drive as the new folder grows beyond capacity. Seems BI is not moving "NEW" files to stored, either as soon as it should or often enough? Here are a few shot of the current setup. After I forced a repair/regenerate database, the error went away. Thoughts on this??

6-2 clips archiving.jpg 6-2clip storage.jpg

Attachments

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you deleting files? If you are deleting files and they go to that drives trash can, you need to empty that drives trash.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You haven't manually deleted any files on that drive? Check your trash can on that drive to see if anything is in it. When they get full they have to go somewhere.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Definitely doesn't seem like they are being moved. Something is fishy with that.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm hoping someone else joins the discussion so I can get to the bottom of it.