bidens incredible transition to electric cars

Don't Look Up

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is enough oil to be pumped/fracked here in the US for at least 150 years or longer. During that time grid improvements can be made, new battery technology can be developed and new methods of swapping batteries in EVs can be developed. There is absolutely no reason to rush into this "green agenda" headlong and blindly in a ten year time period. It will only kill the economy which will have devastating and immediate effects on the entire world. Adding ethanol to gasoline is a ridiculous effort that costs more than it "saves". It takes 1.5 times as much energy to produce ethanol than the ethanol can produce when burned. In other words it's another "green feel good" effort by idiots.

If you want to "save the world" it would be better to invest your time and efforts in stopping the major polluters like China, India and Russia rather than trying to force EVs on people that don't want anything to do with them. Another thing you could try would be to make hydrogen generation practical and portable. Hydrogen power is much cleaner and more abundant than oil or batteries.
"Saving the World" is about 40 years too late at least, the damage is done, too many feedback mechanisms now in play, rising temps, global crop failures, Billions will starve and we'll take most of the large animal species with us as the Habitat fails. Planet will be fine... in about 10 million years or so.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I clearly remember watching a 16mm film in elementary school over 60 years ago. With pretty spiffy graphics for the era, it completely and methodically laid out the scientific evidence that all of earth's oil would be extracted in less than 10 years. More recently, NPS replaced the signs in Glacier park that the glaciers would be gone 2 years ago. Just 2 of many examples of why some might not believe the science and/or fear mongering. I do realize that with each new expert pronouncement, it's different this time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You mean like when we told then that the icebergs are melting at record pace and would be gone by some date that has since passed and that NY and other coastal communities would be underwater...

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you believe any of those predictions by the "experts" I have a nice bridge you can buy, 10 lanes in each direction and a massive toll plaza at one end.

First we were all going to freeze to death by the 1980's. Next Cuba was supposed to be under water, along with Florida and most of the East Coast, by 2000 because of melting ice caps. Heck where I lived was supposed to be under water as well. How come none of that happened? Oh yeah, the whole climate change thing is based on the cherry picked data from one, count it, one, set of tree rings from Siberia when samples were taken from thousands of other trees that showed nothing other than normal. It's funny that the sea ice has been increasing at the North Pole and that an climate expedition to prove that the ice cap at the South Pole is shrinking got stuck in expanding ice and had to be rescued, but you seem to forget all that.

In the mean time Al Gore, Leonardo DeCaprio and John Kerry jet around the world spewing thousands, literally thousands, of tons of hydrocarbon telling us all that we can't do exactly what they do constantly. Then we have an immature little girl sailing across the Atlantic so she can fly back home in one of those hydrocarbon spewing jet aircraft. Can't you see you're being sold a bill of goods?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
The earth started warming 26,000 that's 26 THOUSAND years ago.. with the Younger-Dryas cooling period and
the little Ice Age circa 1300-1800. Is is postulated the warming was interrupted by a comet breaking up and slamming into the Northern Hemisphere,
in several locations, from the Middle East to North America, caused the cooling period back 12000 years ago.

The warming was once more interrupted during the Maunder Minimum 1645-1715 when no sun spots were observed on the Sun.
In a nut shell I DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE RELIGION OF CLIMATE.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
IMO A lot of these doomsday predicting experts are doing more harm than good. All too often we hear "X will happen in X" and then it doesn't, or that things are so dire the earth is going to implode

I genuinely believe we need to be reducing our CO2 output as much as possible, its a FACT that it heats up the planet, and its a FACT that its bad. But there is so much doom and gloom I end up either thinking nothing I can do will help, or that they said it would happen before and it didn't are they telling the truth?

I really wish we had a middle ground on all this. Its either bought and paid for by big oil, solar bad, battery bad, EV bad, grrr, or its completely the other way, the world is screwed and we all need to go live in the jungle

What really bugs me is that there are plans to try and colonize mars. If we can't even keep our own planet livable, then what the heck are we going to do on mars? And if we can change mars, why can't we change the earth? Lots doesn't add up

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
@IReallyLikePizza2 I love your pizza image. It reminds me of Science and why one needs to listen.
Do you remember the scientist at the James Webb Space Telescope releasing the 1st. close-up of a star?
Turns out it was a picture of a slice of pepperoni.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What really bugs me is that there are plans to try and colonize mars. If we can't even keep our own planet livable, then what the heck are we going to do on mars? And if we can change mars, why can't we change the earth? Lots doesn't add up
Because at this point there is no corruption on Mars.... You need a colony to have victims. .

Etech

n3wb
Reaction score
If you want to "save the world" it would be better to invest your time and efforts in stopping the major polluters like China, India and Russia rather than trying to force EVs on people that don't want anything to do with them. Another thing you could try would be to make hydrogen generation practical and portable. Hydrogen power is much cleaner and more abundant than oil or batteries.
Exactly! Well said.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't have to pay a 5-digit figure for an EV though

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't have to pay a 5-digit figure for an EV though

He doesn't mention range at all, or charge time. The other problem I see is a total lack of efficiency with a conversion like this. The power lost through the belt drive from the electric motor to the crankshaft is probably quite large which has a large effect on range to say the least. A fun "project" but I can't see it as practical.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
He doesn't mention range at all, or charge time. The other problem I see is a total lack of efficiency with a conversion like this. The power lost through the belt drive from the electric motor to the crankshaft is probably quite large which has a large effect on range to say the least. A fun "project" but I can't see it as practical.
At the 5:14 mark he states a 80Km range. Also you will still need to do oil changes as the crankshaft will still need to be lubricated.

I would have made the custom mounts for the Power Steering Pump, Alternator, and AC compressor as removing the block will give you more range due to less weight and you can add more batteries in the engine compartment for added range too.

I'm glad he did this as this helps teach people what can be done if you just think about it. This helps younger people that see this and think about being an engineer as a career. ( which we need more people in this field)