bidens incredible transition to electric cars

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't really understand these articles, fracking for oil and gas has been destroying our water for years and years

An EV battery is good for hundreds of thousands of miles, and then can be almost entirely recycled. Oil used to make gasoline gets burned 1 time and then pollutes the air

Of course, neither are good and both should be addressed.

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't really understand these articles, fracking for oil and gas has been destroying our water for years and years

An EV battery is good for hundreds of thousands of miles, and then can be almost entirely recycled. Oil used to make gasoline gets burned 1 time and then pollutes the air

Of course, neither are good and both should be addressed.
One major difference is that petroleum is a source of energy, while the battery just stores it. That energy has to come from somewhere...

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
One major difference is that petroleum is a source of energy, while the battery just stores it. That energy has to come from somewhere...
Charging my wife's car at this very moment, 100% from solar panels on my roof

Even if you can't do that, running an engine in a car is just less efficient.

"Even if the grid were entirely fueled by coal, 31% less energy would be needed to charge EVs than to fuel gasoline cars "

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
"Even if the grid were entirely fueled by coal, 31% less energy would be needed to charge EVs than to fuel gasoline cars "
Because EV adoption is political, these studies and conclusions are just as believable as election polls. They start with an agenda, then cherry pick the data to support it. I read a recent article anti-EV article pointing out that EVs are driven less miles than ICE cars, therefore ICE cars are better. Well, doh, anybody with a few brain cells knows that with current technology, EVs are more suitable for shorter distances and ICE cars more suitable for longer distances, and that study was a waste of time and the conclusion useless. On the flip side, the pro-EV propaganda that says the fuel cost for an EV is lower ignores the inevitable future cost of infrastructure development, and also ignores the additional EV pollution because of faster tire wear due to heavier vehicles. Too bad the government didn't keep its nose out of EVs and let the industry develop naturally. Thanks to that, most of these studies are agenda driven political propaganda.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

As with most issues, it gets far more complex and interesting when you dig into the details ..

Oil, Coal, Gas .. all increasing in use globally. Not going away any day soon ..
1717961061684.png

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

OK, but apples to apples, include the manufacturing costs of the solar panels in there as well, including government subsidies.

And I laugh that the idiotic state that I live in gives electric cars the ability to drive in the carpool lanes, which were stolen from the "regular" lanes, which means that they are causing more gas-powered vehicles to stay in traffic while letting the most efficient at doing so go by. The end result-- more pollution, longer travels times, and lots of smug assholes driving Teslas.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to see 18 wheeler EV's that can tow the same load, in the same time frame and at least at the same cost or slightly more cost than the current Diesels.
I can't see how they could ever do it in the same time frame......given the time it would take to charge such a powerful EV using today's EV tech ! :cool:

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want to see 18 wheeler EV's that can tow the same load, in the same time frame and at least at the same cost or slightly more cost than the current Diesels.
I can't see how they could ever do it in the same time frame......given the time it would take to charge such a powerful EV using today's EV tech ! :cool:
And in the areas of the US that experience winter temperatures.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Batteries for an 18 wheeler is simple! 2 28 foot pups with 1 being batteries.:rofl::rofl:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And remember, most highways have a max loa limit of 80,000 lbs. What would the batteries weigh for a semi EV?
Probably half of what it could carry maximum....requiring 2 trips vs. 1.....so now they attach THAT cost increase to the goods AND have to make 2 trips for the same amount of goods.....and that's supposed to contribute to a "greener" planet?

The only thing getting greener are the wallets of the EV manufacturers the producers of the freight being hauled. Sure the haulers will make more but they're the only ones actually doing anything to earn it! :mad:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Couple of decent articles:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Couple of decent articles:

OK, lets say that both of the above cite true and accurate statistics. But let's also admit the Diesels have been doing this a long, LONG time, since the late 1940's. I think it would be fair to look back in only 10 years and see how the EV semi's have done in the real world proving ground. :cool:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, lets say that both of the above cite true and accurate statistics. But let's also admit the Diesels have been doing this a long, LONG time, since the late 1940's. I think it would be fair to look back in only 10 years and see how the EV semi's have done in the real world proving ground. :cool:
I don't think EV Semis are the only answer. Long haul routes are best left to the diesels. But many routes are one day, non-overnight hauls and most can be completed with the EV. I've had a diesel dually since 2001 to haul a heavy RV. No way could I do that with any of the current EV pickups including the Cybertruck. Tesla has ~2000 orders for the Semi from some major hitters. They don't purchase equipment if they think it will hurt their bottom line or create other problems.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How would this work with team drivers? Their trucks are running pretty much all day. Would this be the end of that practice? Here in Nebraska interstate 80 is a main rout between east coast and west coast. There are thousands of trucks traveling the route daily. Winter temps can reach -20 or more below zero. How's that going to work with batteries that lose capacity in cold weather? I have no doubt that electric vehicles will play a large part in transportation in the future. But much more research needs to go into energy storage to find a system that works for everybody in all climates. Like gas and diesel.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
China EVs ..

dumping on the market ..