Black Friday Discount From Andy

micm66

n3wb
Reaction score
received my 2 x 5231's , gotta say super fast delivery, ordered friday reached AU on wednesday, thx for the specials

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Andy's the MAN, fastest shipping in the east.

Last edited:

neonate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just having a chance to update, I took advantage of Andy's generous offer, to place an order big enough to finally replace my HIK cameras (I honestly have WAY too many cameras for my house :), and I freely admit it. There's banks with less coverage than I have in some of the corners of my house). Not only did they arrive in 3 days as promised (beating most of the online shopping based in the states I did), but each one arrived in perfect working order). One of my HIK PTZ got stuck and I've been using Blue Iris to do time lapse weather images, so I got an ultra starlight camera to replace it as I'm interested to see if I can capture some good moonrise/stars. (I'm setting up a Wunderground weather station and thought the weather cam might be a nice addition). However, I make a unexpected decision as I was replacing the cams, I'm actually leaving the HIK cam's in place, however this is what I'm doing: I'm running the cameras replacing them (5231) slightly nearby the HIK's and running new cable. One of the biggest issues I had was during a rain storm (or snow) my camera's would become useless). So the 5231's are running with IR turned off, and the left over HIK's are just there to generate an IR illumination. Now I know I could run IR lights, but the cameras are already there, so it's 0 cost.

We've had one rainy night since I started, and sure enough, the cameras running their own IR, were as expected, but the 2 corners of the house using HIK as IR source were as if it was not raining. Not surprisingly, the IR from the HIK while not directed towards the area the 5231's were covering, but the resulting image was still good enough to see. (see attached, you can see from the shadows the HIK pointing in far corner of the house still diffusing enough light to light up the area with the improved lens on the 5231's . Once we get a clear night, I'll post some of the weather cam images.

Image 1: The HIK is pointed at full IR at the area where I've parked the Jeep, the 5231 is off. The 2nd image is benefiting from 2 IR's each from a different corner of the house, but I've bounced the 2nd one off of a shed (one advantage of a PTZ), but it's quite some distance away, so I'm surprised by how much light is still generated for the 5231's to pickup)

I hope to get the rest of the cameras upgraded, and for the driveway, a dedicated IR light setup, so that all of the camera's no longer use their own IR, and we'll see how this winter fares! :)

Thanks again Andy!

Attachments

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Two of my 4 hiks suddenly died. One was inside an enclosed porch area and was not exposed to weather extremes and the other one was an indoor cube. All of them were running on Cat5, and were running fine without problems of any kind for several years.
None of them display any longer in any browser since my last windows 10 2 weeks ago. I am angry because three of the 2032s were purchased from Amazon and were totally orphaned by Hikvision's policy not to support them.
I have had Blue Iris laying dormant for 4 years but am now starting to use it because I cannot even start IVMS-Client any longer. It opens with a warning that my display resolution is < than 1080 and asks if I want to start it anyway. When I do so, it only displays the center portion of the start-up form.

So now you know the reason for my frustration. I need to buy at least 1 replacement for the one dead 2032 hik. Looking at the Dahua cameras, I seem to be unable to find any 3 meg bullet cams with sd cards. All my cams recorded line crossing alerts on built in sd cards. It worked out well for me and kept me from installing an NVR.

I am running a home built windows 10 64 bit machine, with 8 cores i7, 16 gigs of ram, 2 ssd (1tb total) drives, 2 mechanical hard drives for archives and current backup. My display is definitely 1080p on a 65" LG TV on HDMI 3. I am behind an Asus router with openvpn.

Since I do not want to add the complexity of an NVR, and am tasked with learning to program BI already. I think I need to find an equivalent 3 MB camera with SD card slot. I also need to keep the ability to record alerts on 4 cameras simultaneously.
I don't want to buy garbage and am thinking Dahua but don't know if they have an equivalent?

Any ideas? I remember Fenderman from a previous forum in Germany. Any ideas from you if you see this?

Last edited:

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does not need to be 3MP.
3MP is what I had and still have with the remaining 2 hiks. I always liked the results. I basically live surrounded on 3 sides by a large wild life reserve. We have lots of deer, gators in pond out back, foxes, bear and boar etc. I like to play back the the nightly visitors every morning. Some critters are very small and travel along the banks of our backyard pond which is 60 feet away.
I have a PIR motion sensor which triggers a wide angle LED 5000 kelvin light, which along with a wide angle IR light source and then the camera's IR illumination helps me see and record. I do however think that even the 3MP is barely enough resolution and represents a budget compromise.
The distance to the banks of the pond cannot be changed because the camera in the backyard needs to be attached to the house. WIFI is out. Stringing open air cat 5 through dense trees is also not an option for various reasons. This is Florida we get high winds.

Last edited:

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
My first purchase, it was a Dahua 4MP camera and this 5231R-Z, is only 2MP, but is much better, has a bigger sensor. Do not concentrate only on megapixels. Size of the sensor matters a lot.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Does not need to be 3MP.
3MP is what I had and still have with the remaining 2 hiks. I always liked the results. I basically live surrounded on 3 sides by a large wild life reserve. We have lots of deer, gators in pond out back, foxes, bear and boar etc. I like to play back the the nightly visitors every morning. Some critters are very small and travel along the banks of our backyard pond which is 60 feet away.
I have a PIR motion sensor which triggers a wide angle LED 5000 kelvin light, which along with a wide angle IR light source and then the camera's IR illumination helps me see and record. I do however think that even the 3MP is barely enough resolution and represents a budget compromise.
The distance to the banks of the pond cannot be changed because the camera in the backyard needs to be attached to the house. WIFI is out. Stringing open air cat 5 through dense trees is also not an option for various reasons. This is Florida we get high winds.

Just grab one of them starlight camera and you will be golden.

Bill

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lol , I KNOW why, that is just paypal send email to you for the invoice, you go to your paypal account and find the invoice and pay it. Because paypal i use CHINESE version.

Sent you an email a couple of hours ago for some more cams. Looking forward to hearing back.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This one is the IP version:

https://www.ipcam-shop.nl/media/downloads/DH-IPC-HDW2231R-ZS.pdf

Starlight turret with zoom. Looks to be a cheaper, lower-end version of the 5231.
Hey @EMPIRETECANDY,
Any news to this model? https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/20017
Might be an interesting alternative to the 5231 if no abandoned and missing things feature is needed. Don’t know how it performs, but sensor, zoom and IVS features like tripwire and intrusion shall be available like the 5231 ones.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm wondering about those missing features, they are mostly software?
They are not using the same boards, maybe that the microphone just needs to be soldered in there?