Blackview DR650S-2CH-IR

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got me one of these today, seemed finally the right time to get a dashcam and this had most of the features I wanted.. mainly, wifi, 2ch and IR.. played with it for a lil bit in my wife's car, I think I'll be getting her a single channel one for hers.. fits very nicely and disappears behind her rear view mirror.

It'll be a few weeks yet before I do full install, 2nd IR camera is going to be installed in the back looking forward of my new suv for security, dog watching, and a camping nanycam.. this vehicle is mostly for recreational use so I wanted to put a camera in it for many reasons.

Paid $350 Prime $280 from B&H Photo for it, thanks to @tangent finding a flashsale.. I like that they seem to be regularly upgrading these cameras and leaving the form factor alone, so upgrading it should be less involved and accessories like polarized lenses are likely to continue to fit.

I'll get some pictures and demo videos up soon, this super wide angle I'm not expecting it to be much of a security camera but I knew I wanted an IR capable rear camera that I could flip in and look at the cargo area.

Why I picked this setup
  • WiFi, As much as I hate WiFi Cameras, I dont want to take it down to download recordings and I want a remote display.. I cant see me using the cloud service at all.
  • OSX Clients and Support, not running Windows for this crap
  • IR Camera available, the 2nd camera I mostly want for either watching the interior.. Back windows are tinted too much for me to bother with a rear pointed internal camera.
  • 128GB Memory and GPS, We take epic road trips that span days and thousands of miles.

IMAG0788.jpg

Last edited:

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did some reading on the dash cameras and compared features and technologies. While this seems to be a good camera it does cost more then it's competitors, and I haven't seen any real benefits besides that it is more compact then others. The built in memory is also questionable because if there was footage that needed to be saved it may be easier to just replace the microSD card instead of taking it out and getting data from it. So the question is if it is worth paying more for it. And how reliable it is compared to other brands.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they seem to get high marks for reliability, guess time will tell on that one.. the main reason I got this was for a decent interior IR camera and I wanted a discrete permanent install behind the mirror I didnt have to dick with.. The app seems easy enough but the livestream quality seems pretty low bitrate; however what it was recording was really good looking, downloaded video fine and I could save it right to my ownCloud folder from my phone, the client in OSX seems to work really well w/no fuss.. I think I'll get a polarized filter for it to cut down on glare, stuffing a 128G sd into it and its only going to record while keyed to come on when interior lighting has power (doors open w/20min timeout)

I think the WAF factor is high; after testing it in her car and letting her play with the app she wanted one.. so, there's that too ;)

The vehicle in question does have a built in hotspot; so I could in theory mebe cast a great road trip to alaska or somethin ;)

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see.
Is there a way to have it start saving to a folder on the phone automatically once it connects through wifi or only by manual selection? Because that would be cool to have a backup like that. But my guess is it is probably manual...
Trip to Alaska sounds amazing. But please don't tell me anything about OSX. :)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Got me one of these today, seemed finally the right time to get a dashcam and this had most of the features I wanted.. mainly, wifi, 2ch and IR.. played with it for a lil bit in my wife's car, I think I'll be getting her a single channel one for hers.. fits very nicely and disappears behind her rear view mirror.

It'll be a few weeks yet before I do full install, 2nd IR camera is going to be installed in the back looking forward of my new suv for security, dog watching, and a camping nanycam.. this vehicle is mostly for recreational use so I wanted to put a camera in it for many reasons.

Paid $350 Prime Shipped for it, thought it was a decent deal.. I like that they seem to be regularly upgrading these cameras and leaving the form factor alone, so upgrading it should be less involved and accessories like polarized lenses are likely to continue to fit.

I'll get some pictures and demo videos up soon, this super wide angle I'm not expecting it to be much of a security camera but I knew I wanted an IR capable rear camera that I could flip in and look at the cargo area.

Why I picked this setup
  • WiFi, As much as I hate WiFi Cameras, I dont want to take it down to download recordings and I want a remote display.. I cant see me using the cloud service at all.
  • OSX Clients and Support, not running Windows for this crap
  • IR Camera available, the 2nd camera I mostly want for either watching the interior.. Back windows are tinted too much for me to bother with a rear pointed internal camera.
  • 128GB Memory and GPS, We take epic road trips that span days and thousands of miles.

View attachment 16558
Do you have a link to the $350 128gb version? I only see if for $400 on amazon.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it was a 16GB version for that price, I would suggest you dont buy these things w/memory cards.. the'll rape you for a cheap piece of shit card heh.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
it was a 16GB version for that price, I would suggest you dont buy these things w/memory cards.. the'll rape you for a cheap piece of shit card heh.
oh I see, you bought it with 16gig and then got a 128 gig card, got ya.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nayr i like this cam (and i hate you lol )i think ill have to buy one of this after ive seen few videos... how many days can it record with 128gb card?

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
found info on storage on Blackview site !!!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
nayr,

Nice cam.
I used to work for a place the designed, built, installed & serviced cams and NVRs for buses (and trains, police, gov't vehicles).

For buses, when they returned to the depot, the WiFi SSID would be recognized, and specific footage would be downloaded automatically. (not all footage for all day for all cams, since a bus could have 16 cams).

Anyhoo, the automatic downloading of the high res stream was nice. Cheaper than cellular, which was used when the bus was running its routes. (which could push low res, or support surfing into the bus for live view by mgmt or police).

Side view and rear view are nice, in case of a collision....

Have fun!

Fastb

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
nayr,

Nice cam.
I used to work for a place the designed, built, installed & serviced cams and NVRs for buses (and trains, police, gov't vehicles).

For buses, when they returned to the depot, the WiFi SSID would be recognized, and specific footage would be downloaded automatically. (not all footage for all day for all cams, since a bus could have 16 cams).

Anyhoo, the automatic downloading of the high res stream was nice. Cheaper than cellular, which was used when the bus was running its routes. (which could push low res, or support surfing into the bus for live view by mgmt or police).

Side view and rear view are nice, in case of a collision....

Have fun!

Fastb
Did cops have access to footage in the cruiser? How easy or hard would it be for them to tamper with it?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I worked in new product development. If I worked in Sales or Customer Support, I'd have better insight into how customers could use the product, and who had access to the bus cams and NVR while the bus was rolling. What I know is from the marketing collateral materials. Disclaimer aside, I'll share what I learned happenstance.

Did cops have access to footage in the cruiser?
Theoretically, anyone could surf in the bus and view cameras. In Engineering, for troubleshooting, we occasionally had to surf in to the bus. You could watch the driver, the passengers in seats, people boarding, the view out the windshield, down the sides, and the rear view.

Troubleshooting eg: Cellular handoff as the bus moved from Sprint to Verizon to AT&T, etc, as coverage waxed and waned.

The system could also be used to provide WiFi to passengers, with the back link over cellular.

One feature the marketing materials touted was the ability of police to view a disturbance in the bus while the bus was rolling. The police would then know what they'd have to confront on the bus, if/when they boarded. The police would have cellular access, and when within WiFi range, have access to high res video from multiple cameras (due to higher bandwidth)

I don't know if all the police had the ability to access at any time, of only incident-by-incident. I know the supervisors in the bus/transit agency had constant access. Useful if the bus was late, supervisors could see it was traffic stoppage, or if the bus was extremely crodwed.

The public doesn't have access to the bus system. You won't see video clips on Youtube, unless the authorities release video (such as after a crime)

How easy or hard would it be for them to tamper with it?
Nobody could tamper with the video via cellular or Wifi, or while the HD was still mounted in the NVR on the bus. When the HD was removed, and inserted into special HD reader, and using special s/w, r/w access was possible.
A: No, the police couldn't tamper with the recorded video, audio, GPS info, sensor info (brake applied? Turn directional used? MPH? etc)

Handling the recorded info had many protections. When the HD was removed from the bus (rare, only after an incident, when evidence was needed), a "Chain of Custody" document was started. That doc would follow the HD ever after. Only authorized people were allowed to handle the HD. Signatures, tim & date, etc.

You could download footage in AVI or mpg. Those formats weren't usuable in a court of law. Not admissable. Too insecure.
You could download the encrypted footage, and the file would include a self-extracting video player. The file (footage + player) couldn't be tampered with. This file was admissible in court, if accompanied by a Chain of Custody doc w/ proper signatures.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
id jump on that deal, its tempting to get another for wife's car with that heh

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"
Be Back Soon!
Close
Thank you for your patience while we break for the Shabbos holiday. Although online ordering is unavailable, you may still add items to your cart or wish list. Checkout will resume at Saturday 8:30 PM EDT.

Want an alert when checkout reopens?"