Blue Iris 4.5.6.0 keeps writing in C:\

Phate

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i'm a long time Blue Iris user, but since about a couple of weeks i noticed that my little Blue Iris server started to saturate the C: drive. It's installed on an Intel NUC i5-5250U, 8Gb of ram, 120GB Kingson SSD and a 1TB hard drive for the recordings.
Everything is set to write on the E: drive (which is the 1TB mechanical drive), so i don't understand what is being written on the SSD. If i close Blue Iris the space magically comes back. Problem is, i can't leave Blue Iris on for more than 20 hours or the C: drive gets full.
I'm running it on a Windows 10 install, updated to the Creator's Update.
Anyone know anything about this? It's a bug?
Thanks!

Phate

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, i'll try it tomorrow after blue iris ran all night, so i can get a more accurate situation. Right now it's pretty much eating 1GB every 40/50 minutes.

Phate

n3wb
Reaction score
After running all night i found 3 files in the temp folder under Windows, these files gets deleted the moment i close Blue Iris or if i open the camera properties, save and close. I have no idea why it writes there, since i setup the temp folder in blue iris to be "E:\temp". Here's a screenshot of WinDirStat:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Very curious. I have no such large files in my Windows/Temp directory, or in my Blue Iris temp directory which is C:\ProgramData\Blue Iris\temp

Possibly, it is some other process creating those. Maybe antivirus/antimalware. If any process is actually using those files, this program should be able to tell you: Process Explorer

If you can't figure out what is doing it, then Blue Iris support should be able to tell you if those files could possibly belong to Blue Iris. I'd suggest sending them an email if Process Explorer doesn't yield any useful information. Contact - Blue Iris Include the screenshot from WinDirStat in your email.

Phate

n3wb
Reaction score
You were right, using Process explorer i could see that the ESET process had a LOT of I/O writes. Checking which files were being accessed i found those .tmp files, closing Blue Iris deleted those files.

After realizing that it was just a question of what was interfering between Blue Iris and Eset, so i disabled funcionalities one by one until i found that after disabling "web protection access" those weren't created anymore.

So, if anyone ever has this problem, just disable the "Web access protection" in ESET and you're set.
By the way i'm using ESET Smart Security 10.1.204.4, fully licensed.

Thanks a lot for your help bp2008! Oh and btw, your ui2 is amazing.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad to be able to help :)

It may be possible to exclude Blue Iris from the ESET protection and not have to disable it for everything.

Phate

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, it's just the web protection that's disabled, antivirus and firewall are still active. I believe all that does is protect the user from fraud and malicious websites, but since i don't browse the web with the blue iris server it's a non issue for me. I tried to insert blue iris into the antivirus exclusion rules, but that didn't change anything, the whole web protection thing basically only has an on/off button.