Blue Iris 5 stopped recording for unknown reason

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Note: yes, You technically can set each camera to record directly to the "Stored" folder, but that introduces another variable, that has to be changed for each new camera You set up, so it's better to set the "New" folder to be saved to the proper destination.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This seemed like the best spot to ask my question.

I recently got the dedicated machine up and running and wanted to get all the kinks worked out (like the Dual NIC, etc.), and finally have that figured out. Now to the storage part.

So I just added a WD Purple drive and will do the recommended approach above of simply keeping BI and its database on the C drive and just use the NEW folder only on the WD Purple drive and forget about the Stored folder.

I want to get all the clips and pics off the C: drive now to free up space on the C: drive. I don't care about them being saved as I was testing so the machine was off and on and cameras were being added, tuned, etc.

Can I simply open up the New and Stored folders with explorer and delete those files or will that cause major issues with BI and it's database?

If you cannot do that, what is the preferred approach? I was thinking go into clips and archiving and set it to delete everything more than an hour old? Of course I would have to stop recording during that time to get them completely off.

Thoughts?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
This seemed like the best spot to ask my question.

I recently got the dedicated machine up and running and wanted to get all the kinks worked out (like the Dual NIC, etc.), and finally have that figured out. Now to the storage part.

So I just added a WD Purple drive and will do the recommended approach above of simply keeping BI and its database on the C drive and just use the NEW folder only on the WD Purple drive and forget about the Stored folder.

I want to get all the clips and pics off the C: drive now to free up space on the C: drive. I don't care about them being saved as I was testing so the machine was off and on and cameras were being added, tuned, etc.

Can I simply open up the New and Stored folders with explorer and delete those files or will that cause major issues with BI and it's database?

If you cannot do that, what is the preferred approach? I was thinking go into clips and archiving and set it to delete everything more than an hour old? Of course I would have to stop recording during that time to get them completely off.

Thoughts?
You should start a new thread with your question rather than hijack an old thread. That way you get info more relevant than "Blue Iris stopped recording for unknown reason".

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you can manually delete the BVR files in the new and stored folders. Then delete the database and restart BI. this will rebuild an empty data base.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another option is to force a DB rebuild from the status window. That way you don't need a restart of BI.