Blue Iris always using 100% CPU

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure when it started, but I'm noticing that Blue Iris is now using 100% CPU all of the time. I have the latest version of BI (5.2.1.1), along with the latest Windows updates. I have 12 Hikvision cameras displaying. It always used to stay at about 70%. The computer I'm using for BI is dedicated, and has nothing on it but BI. It's an I7 4770 with 8GB RAM.

I'm thinking of replacing this computer BI is running on and am considering an 8th gen I5 system, but wonder if this would provide better performance. than the 4th gen I7 that I currently have.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you read the information in the WiKi about optimizing BI? What are the resolutions, frame rates and total bit rates for each camera and the total for all cameras? Are you using hardware acceleration, Quicksync? That may provide a start for resolving your problem.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Add more memory go to 16 GB, use all the memory slots.

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) Blue Iris Setting about tab
3) Blue iris status clip storage
4) blue Iris status cameras

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Add more memory go to 16 GB, use all the memory slots.

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) Blue Iris Setting about tab
3) Blue iris status clip storage
4) blue Iris status cameras
attached are the files I "think" you're looking for (wasn't sure about the last two you indicated). Nothing has changed in the past year or so, except for Windows and BI updates.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Without resolutions, frame rates, bit rates and hardware acceleration/Quicksync, we're all shooting in the dark. Have you looked at "Optimizing" in the WiKI at all? From what you posted so far, you're not using hardware acceleration. Are you recording direct to disk?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Your status > Cameras screenshot is not full frame, so we are missing some information.

But it does tell us you definitely have not enabled hardware acceleration or limited your frame rates. See the link which looney posted above.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Without resolutions, frame rates, bit rates and hardware acceleration/Quicksync, we're all shooting in the dark. Have you looked at "Optimizing" in the WiKI at all? From what you posted so far, you're not using hardware acceleration. Are you recording direct to disk?
I am not using "direct to disk". Hardware acceleration was off - I turned it on (Intel) and rebooted. Not much difference though - still mostly at 100% CPU utilization.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your status > Cameras screenshot is not full frame, so we are missing some information.

But it does tell us you definitely have not enabled hardware acceleration or limited your frame rates. See the link which looney posted above.
I did change the frame rates - most cameras had a Max frame rate of 33fps - I changed them all to 15 fps or lower. That brought the CPU utilization way down. It's running around 50% now - I never saw that low of a CPU utilization since I started using BI 3 or 4 years ago!

Thanks to all.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) If you are recording continously use direct to disk.
2) I would set the frame rates on cameras to max 15 FPS and the Iframe equal to the frame rate. I use an FPS of 15 for my outside cameras and 10 for my inside cameras.
3) Turn off The maliware and virus scans on you disk drives that have video files on them.
4) You need another disk drive and get your video files off the C drive.
5) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.

After you make some changes repost the status screen shots and the windows 10 task manager. Please post the complete frame with all the information, critical information was cut off. use windows snip & sketch

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you turned on hardware acceleration, in each camera, and got no drop in CPU utilization you're motherboard probably doesn't have built in video.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you turned on hardware acceleration, in each camera, and got no drop in CPU utilization you're motherboard probably doesn't have built in video.
Originally, I set hardware acceleration on in the "settings" - not on each camera. I have now set it on for each camera, but still not seeing any difference.
The computer BI is installed on does has video on the motherboard.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Check Task Manager > Performance tab. If the Intel graphics device shows usage on the Video Decode graph, then it is working, at least for some cameras. If the Intel graphics device does not appear, you may need to enable the Intel GPU in your BIOS.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
Make sure you have excluded all BI folders from any antivirus, that includes Windows Defender.
Thanks for that link - with the info in that article, and the help here on the forum, I was able to get CPU utilization down to about 50%.

Check Task Manager > Performance tab. If the Intel graphics device shows usage on the Video Decode graph, then it is working, at least for some cameras. If the Intel graphics device does not appear, you may need to enable the Intel GPU in your BIOS.
The Video Decode graph is active, so I guess it is working.