Blue Iris and Amazon Echo Show

BlueRidge

n3wb
Reaction score
So, you know what the Monacle Alexa skill does with your info/feed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. Believe what you want.
You simply don't understand how if works. If you dont port forward the camera, no one can access it. So pout about wishing for the developer to do it, but don't email support and ask

John Mak

n3wb
Reaction score
What us the URL / configuration you put on Monocle? Just connecting by internal IP or you have to opening it to internet with host name too?

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone care to share their monoclecam setup page so I can see what a successful setup looks like? I can't get mine to work. It just keeps saying "Hmmm, the camera is not responding."monoclecam_setup.JPG

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Monocle Dashboard example.JPG I found the usual reason for failure to connect was an incorrect RSTP string, here's a sample working config with Hikvision & Dahua cams. Note all IP addys are internal private LAN, with no port forwarding, etc.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
View attachment 40859 I found the usual reason for failure to connect was an incorrect RSTP string, here's a sample working config with Hikvision & Dahua cams. Note all IP addys are internal private LAN, with no port forwarding, etc.
Great thanks. I just realized I could quickly test rtsp streams in VLC. I fixed all of them but the RCA doorbell cam. I can see it in BI and in VLC, but not on Echo Show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great thanks. I just realized I could quickly test rtsp streams in VLC. I fixed all of them but the RCA doorbell cam. I can see it in BI and in VLC, but not on Echo Show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have also downloaded, installed, and configured the Monocle Cam Gateway. I now have all but 1 camera working on each Fire TV and Echo Show which is pretty slick and much better quality than the Roku app work around.

Not sure what options I have for my RCA doorbell camera though...looks like I need a replacement or just accept that I have coverage from other cameras and use simple Ring or other cloud service for dedicated doorbell camera.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
With 'Prime Day' just around the corner, I was thinking about picking up an Echo Show 2nd generation. This seems to be working out or does anyone have a better suggestion?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
For follow up. Picked up an Echo Show 2nd generation on sale. It was very easy to set up our front door camera, which is a Hik DS-2CD2042WD-I. using a free account at Monocolcam.com

I followed their procedure on this web page:
Getting Started | Monocle

For the Hik I am using this for the stream (tested in VLC player first)
rtsp:/192.168.x.xxx:554/Streaming/Channels/1 main stream
rtsp:/192.168.x.xxx:554/Streaming/Channels/102 substream

I did run into problems with a Dahua Cam - but that is probably because I am using H265 and it is not supported. I bought this mainly to be able to see the front door from the Kitchen and for that, it appears it will work great.

Alexa - show Front Door

Note, we have a bunch of the regular Echo's throughout the house and use them for voice command to control lights, etc

ptforums

n3wb
Reaction score
For the Hik I am using this for the stream (tested in VLC player first)
rtsp:/192.168.x.xxx:554/Streaming/Channels/1 main stream
rtsp:/192.168.x.xxx:554/Streaming/Channels/102 substream
I am also using Hikvision's and the Monocle Gateway but the following url format.

rtsp:/192.168.0.xxx:554/ch1/sub/av_stream <= for the sub stream
rtsp:/192.168.0.xxx:554/ch1/main/av_stream <= for the main stream

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its a old thread, but - has someone it working, to view the streams on a Echo show 5 or Echo show 8?

I tried monocle woth the monocle gateway, but get errors with forbidden

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just use UI3 in Firefox on an Echo Show I believe it is a 5.

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
.... but then I do have to press the bookmark for UI3.... I was looking at Monocle, but their webpage appears all messed up in Chrome and Firefox and from what I can tell I can click add a camera.

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to automate it ... but doesn't work with moncole (by the way after long time, i got it working with monocle - but it takes about 12 secounds from "alexa show the door" till the image appears)

But maybe i future i can use the cam in alexa in a routine for automatic showing the image.