Blue Iris Android app crash

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok... so sorry if I've pissed you off that much. thought the Facebook comment was funny.

So, I found it... my bad. didn't realize it was that far down in the updates, as I thought this starting happening around September. That said, I looked all over for group settings in the tool bar and couldn't find anything other than this from the all camera gear icon near bottom of screen.

those are the settings I've tried with no luck. I'm sure I must be missing something....
no it is to the lest of the ptz controls, the gear icon...different settings for each group including the all camera group

tomgru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah... sorry... that's the one I selected. Does my screen shoot look differently than it should?

the drop down only gives me the choice for "all cameras". click on the gear and see the screenshot posted above. that's where I've tried setting to 1080 and 720. I even tried turning off "enable group webcast stream".

I tried this as well... but to be sure. do you have to shut down the app on the PC, AND kill the service - then restart to have settings change?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah... sorry... that's the one I selected. Does my screen shoot look differently than it should?

the drop down only gives me the choice for "all cameras". click on the gear and see the screenshot posted above. that's where I've tried setting to 1080 and 720. I even tried turning off "enable group webcast stream".

I tried this as well... but to be sure. do you have to shut down the app on the PC, AND kill the service - then restart to have settings change?
That looks correct...

securem

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to email support.
I had Blue Iris running successfully for a few years on my Android tablet. I had to do a complete restart of the tablet and I reinstalled Blue Iris from the App Store. I wasn't prompted for payment which was surprising. I can see my cameras as soon as I connect and then BI closes within 1-2 seconds. I emailed support and they asked for my BI log files. Do you or anyone else know where these log files are located so I can email them to support? They didn't know and said they have to find out from the developer (!).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had Blue Iris running successfully for a few years on my Android tablet. I had to do a complete restart of the tablet and I reinstalled Blue Iris from the App Store. I wasn't prompted for payment which was surprising. I can see my cameras as soon as I connect and then BI closes within 1-2 seconds. I emailed support and they asked for my BI log files. Do you or anyone else know where these log files are located so I can email them to support? They didn't know and said they have to find out from the developer (!).
you will never be prompted for payment...any app you buy via the google play store is yours for life as long as its still on the stop...
Who is "support" that you contacted?

securem

n3wb
Reaction score
you will never be prompted for payment...any app you buy via the google play store is yours for life as long as its still on the stop...
Who is "support" that you contacted?
Blue Iris Support <blueirissoftware@gmail.com First Jennifer and then Ken. Ken is the one who asked me for the crash log. I clicked on the Report option when the program crashed, but he didn't receive the report. Jennifer also wrote, "Make sure you are running the latest Version 4.6.9.2 on the PC side, and if you are experiencing crashing, please see the Troubleshooting topic in the Help menu for the instructions on how to report those details to us."
I read the Troubleshooting topic and couldn't figure out what to do. I am now running 4.6.9.3 on the PC side. I just took the update from 4.6.9.2 yesterday.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris Support <blueirissoftware@gmail.com First Jennifer and then Ken. Ken is the one who asked me for the crash log. I clicked on the Report option when the program crashed, but he didn't receive the report. Jennifer also wrote, "Make sure you are running the latest Version 4.6.9.2 on the PC side, and if you are experiencing crashing, please see the Troubleshooting topic in the Help menu for the instructions on how to report those details to us."
I read the Troubleshooting topic and couldn't figure out what to do. I am now running 4.6.9.3 on the PC side. I just took the update from 4.6.9.2 yesterday.
it doesnt make sense that they told you to ask the developer...Ken is the developer of BI software...as I understand it there is another developer for the android app but there is no way for you to contact that person..you must have misunderstood...
in the app, hit the question mark then select send debug information to support..

securem

n3wb
Reaction score
it doesnt make sense that they told you to ask the developer...Ken is the developer of BI software...as I understand it there is another developer for the android app but there is no way for you to contact that person..you must have misunderstood...
in the app, hit the question mark then select send debug information to support..
Ken said that THEY had to find out from the developer, but I haven't heard back. Thanks very much!! The ? did provide options and I sent the log. Funny how I've used the product for years and never used the ? before.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ken said that THEY had to find out from the developer, but I haven't heard back. Thanks very much!! The ? did provide options and I sent the log. Funny how I've used the product for years and never used the ? before.
what android device are you using?

securem

n3wb
Reaction score
likely running a very old version of android...that is the problem with most phones or tablets, they never get updated...
But here's the strange thing about that: 1) It's Android 4.4 which is old but, I believe, still compatible. 2) BI has been running on this exact device for several years with absolutely zero issues. It's true that I had to do a complete wipe and reload of the tablet, but that shouldn't have degraded Android, I think.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But here's the strange thing about that: 1) It's Android 4.4 which is old but, I believe, still compatible. 2) BI has been running on this exact device for several years with absolutely zero issues. It's true that I had to do a complete wipe and reload of the tablet, but that shouldn't have degraded Android, I think.
have you tried reinstalling the app?

securem

n3wb
Reaction score
have you tried reinstalling the app?
I did - several times. Stupid me checked the option to Connect Automatically after the initial reinstallation and the only way I could change any settings after the app kept closing was to reinstall and to NOT check the Connect Automatically option.

MrGlasspoole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just bought the app and it crashes on a 4.4.2 and on a 4.4.4 device.
Can't test it on 6.0.1 because that device is Google free. Need to mail/ask them first if they have standalone license key's.

securem

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris Support told me that the author of the Android App would get me an earlier version as an APK. That was March 6. I'll let you know if they actually make the earlier version available and if it works.

securem

n3wb
Reaction score
I did receive a link to a September 2017 version and I will let you know if it works as soon as I install it. I've been pretty busy, so it may take a few more days to get around to it, but I promise to post the results here.

securem

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I uninstalled Blue Iris and then installed the September 2017 .apk file. It still fails. At this point, I am giving up. Amazon has been selling their Fire 7 tablet with no ads at a reduced price of $59.00 every few weeks. I've already installed Blue Iris on the Fire 7 in other locations in my house and it works fine.