Blue Iris behavior after recording HDD becomes full.

Reaction score
I tried searching the forums for this, but got so many hits it was very difficult to sort thru them all. If someone has a link they can share that covers the issue I've written below, I'd be grateful.

On occasion, the BI recording HDD will fill if I'm not paying attention - totally my own fault.

It happened this morning just before 0500. I stopped the BI service, cleared out 3 days of recorded files, restarted BI, and did a DB repair/regenerate.

It's now showing clips in the clips window, only going back to when I got BI up again (0912). There are still .bvr files in the recording folder, going back to 08/30/2018, but they don't appear in the BI clips window.

What's the preferred/correct method for getting BI "fixed" when a dumb operator (me) allows the recording HDD to completely fill, thereby causing BI to "halt"?

And, can I get BI to understand there are still recorded video files in the storage folder, and have them appear in the clips folder?

Thanks in advance for some assistance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried searching the forums for this, but got so many hits it was very difficult to sort thru them all. If someone has a link they can share that covers the issue I've written below, I'd be grateful.

On occasion, the BI recording HDD will fill if I'm not paying attention - totally my own fault.

It happened this morning just before 0500. I stopped the BI service, cleared out 3 days of recorded files, restarted BI, and did a DB repair/regenerate.

It's now showing clips in the clips window, only going back to when I got BI up again (0912). There are still .bvr files in the recording folder, going back to 08/30/2018, but they don't appear in the BI clips window.

What's the preferred/correct method for getting BI "fixed" when a dumb operator (me) allows the recording HDD to completely fill, thereby causing BI to "halt"?

And, can I get BI to understand there are still recorded video files in the storage folder, and have them appear in the clips folder?

Thanks in advance for some assistance.
first, you need to stop manually managing BI...set the clips and archiving properly and dont overallocate and let its do its thing.
delete the DB folder and restart blue iris...it will regenerate.

Reaction score
Thanks, fenderman. I have archiving set up, but I'm storage-space (and budget) constrained. The recording HDD is 4TB, the archive HDD is only 1TB - I'm recording 8 cameras 24x7, and I KNOW I don't have enough drive space.

To help avoid this in the future, I've ordered an 8TB drive, plus an external enclosure to move the existing 4TB drive to for archiving.

So, I did what you suggested, but BI doesn't show any of the previous video files in the clips window. They date back to 08/30/2018, with a blank spot of today from ~0440 (when the drive filled) to 0912 when I restarted BI.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. rebuild the database.
click the three bars at the top of BI
click the clip storage tab
click the repair database

2. after rebuild take a screen shot. mAke sure it covers all your storage

3. screen stops of allocated storage
click the gear at the top of BI
click clips and archiving
click folder new - take a screen shot
click folder stored - take a screen shot
click folder alerts - take a screen shot.

post your screen shots.

Reaction score
After SouthernYankee posted his info, I went back to the "clips" window, and realized I hadn't changed the drop down from "Alerts" to "All". It's now showing all the clips in the storage folder dating back to 08/30/2018.

Thanks for the help. Sometimes I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box.....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, fenderman. I have archiving set up, but I'm storage-space (and budget) constrained. The recording HDD is 4TB, the archive HDD is only 1TB - I'm recording 8 cameras 24x7, and I KNOW I don't have enough drive space.

To help avoid this in the future, I've ordered an 8TB drive, plus an external enclosure to move the existing 4TB drive to for archiving.

So, I did what you suggested, but BI doesn't show any of the previous video files in the clips window. They date back to 08/30/2018, with a blank spot of today from ~0440 (when the drive filled) to 0912 when I restarted BI.
With everything setup correctly, the 4tb drive isn't the problem. See the Bi help file, or the video tutorials on this site.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 4TB hard drive for all but the current eight hours of clips. Those are kept on the "C" drive and aged out at eight hours onto the 4TB drive. BI does all that, automagically, for me. I record 24/7 from nine cameras, all are 2MP with 10Fps rate and a bit rate limited to 4096. I age out the recorded files at seven days and still have another gig of free space on that 4TB drive. Each camera produces a new file every hour, on the hour, which makes it handy when you need to find something that happened.

You don't mention frame or bit rates which is critical to the size of the files produced. The other factor is how long you want to retain those files. If you're a normal homeowner type, seven days is plenty. The same is true for frame and bit rates, 10/4096(max). You're not producing a Hollywood epic, just trying to keep a record of what happened when around the old homestead.

Do what Looney says, look in the BI help file and at the video tutorials here on IPCT.