Blue Iris conflict with display.

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Darn. Open your nvidia control panel and see what color depth the monitor is getting. You want it set to "Highest (32-bit)".
Nvidia (Large).jpg Yep its at 32.

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, and I could totally this compatibility setting getting assigned if Blue Iris was to crash on startup and someone was to blindly let windows try to auto-fix it. Windows' auto-compatibility-fix thing has never helped me.
I did try auto fix with no luck.

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You would think by uninstalling and reinstalling BI it would straight itself out.
But I think it leaves something somewhere, that does not get uninstalled.
All my other programs work fine (until I open BI)

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am hoping I don't have to reformat my entire computer for a simple registry fix.
I'm sure its an easy fix, but finding the culprit is very difficult (for me)

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try uninstalling your nvidia drivers

see if BI will open with normal windows drivers

If it does, then try a different nvidia driver

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
try uninstalling your nvidia drivers

see if BI will open with normal windows drivers

If it does, then try a different nvidia driver
Nope - still transparent with windows drivers.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Transparent? Did you mean to say "still low color depth"? You haven't shown anything with transparency since the first screenshot of the User Account Control prompt.

Also, what is the program compatibility settings dialog in your latest screenshot? Maybe Windows is automatically applying what it thinks are good compatibility options?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That one screenshot where you were seeing the desktop background color showing through the Blue Iris window doesn't look like real transparency, as you don't see icons through it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, also, you have to open the Nvidia control panel while your color depth is low (i.e. with Blue Iris running) or else of course it will show 32 bit color.

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, also, you have to open the Nvidia control panel while your color depth is low (i.e. with Blue Iris running) or else of course it will show 32 bit color.
B I B G O --- THANK YOU !!! I have been struggling with this for two weeks !!!!
The Nvidia control panel color depth was low - 8 (i.e. with Blue Iris running) Changed to 32 - IT WORKS !!
I don't know how to thank you.
But if your come to SW Florida in the Jan-June I'll take you out on the Gulf on a chill out cruse (which I need right now).

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wonder why BI would knock the "Color Depth" down, only when I open the BI program ?

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well -- Spoke too soon - Every time BI opens, it knocks the "Color Depth" down to 8 bit. and I must go into the panel and reset. (better then before thought)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL

I'm glad that helped. Most likely Windows is reducing the color depth as some sort of automatic compatibility scheme, but since your properties window doesn't show any of that stuff checked, I wouldn't know where you to point you to clear that and make Windows behave.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you should check the Compatibility tab of the Properties one more time, and also go directly to blueiris.exe and look at the compatibility tab there too. Though on may system the shortcut and the exe both share the same compatibility options.

Did you make any direct registry edits trying to fix this?

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe you should check the Compatibility tab of the Properties one more time, and also go directly to blueiris.exe and look at the compatibility tab there too. Though on may system the shortcut and the exe both share the same compatibility options.

Did you make any direct registry edits trying to fix this?
My Blue Iris compatibility is set to "Windows 7"
What other "Compatibility tab of the Properties" is there ?
No - I did not make any registry changes - (over my head) control P and comp (Large).jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The one you showed in your screenshot is the only compatibility tab I'm aware of.

Here is a long shot. Try checking the "Run in 256 colors" box in the compatibility tab then click Apply or OK, and run BI once with it configured this way.

Then close BI, restore your desktop to 32 bit color if necessary, and uncheck the "Run in 256 colors" box and apply/OK again. If there is some rogue registry key saying to run Blue Iris in 256 color mode, this may clear it if you are lucky.

pelermon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank You - But it did not work.
Sure seems like its a registry key.
Support would probably know which one effects that.
Wish they would answer.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt Ken knows what it would be. It seems like a Windows misconfiguration, possibly caused by malware or data corruption, and given my lack of results googling about the problem I suspect it is a very rare issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you keep up-to-date with Windows Update? I ask because some people turn off updates and that is one of the worst things you can do to protect a computer :)