Blue Iris crashes when replaying from timeline (Windows 10)

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is an odd one, yesterday I added a tenth camera to Blue Iris. Now when trying to playback using the 'replay' button next to the timeline or double clicking the actual timeline, Blue Iris simply crashes in Windows 10. I can double click and play 'alerts', can also playback 'all clips' without issue. Nothing has really changed apart from additional camera, I even tried updating to latest Blue Iris release, still no joy. Was fine with nine cameras and now suddenly ten seems to have caused some issues, makes no sense.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m just a noobie to BI, but do you have all 10 cameras in the viewer window? Remember that when you do replay or go further back on the timeline, BI has to read data from as many files as you have cams in the viewer. When you double click on an alert or other clip, you are only asking it to retrieve data from one file. Maybe you have reached the limit of what that machine is capable of with Deepstack running and whatever other tasks are active?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What computer are you using (i number and CPU number) and how much RAM.

Have you done every optimization in the wiki including substreams?

What is the idle CPU %?

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page - the one page summary that shows camera name, IP, bitrate, FPS, Key, etc.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What computer are you using (i number and CPU number) and how much RAM.

Have you done every optimization in the wiki including substreams?

What is the idle CPU %?

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page - the one page summary that shows camera name, IP, bitrate, FPS, Key, etc.
i5-4690 with 16GB RAM, M2 SSD etc etc, was fine until the additional camera went on the system. Stable and no issues with playback. Maybe I will remove and add it again, have to say that lately I've had a few wobbles on Blue Iris, admittedly I've been using the latest releases, ie not confirmed as stable.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, that is an older machine, so substreams and optimizations are basically required. You could be on the verge of one more camera and the system is unstable. Sounds like your machine is CPU maxing out. But if it isn't then rollback to a stable version.

If you post the BI camera status page, we can see how critical of a need it is for you to optimize. Don't worry, the IP address shown in that screenshot will not give anything away.

You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system providing these ranges (basically any IP that starts out 10. or 172. or 192. are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, that is an older machine, so substreams and optimizations are basically required. You could be on the verge of one more camera and the system is unstable. Sounds like your machine is CPU maxing out. But if it isn't then rollback to a stable version.

If you post the BI camera status page, we can see how critical of a need it is for you to optimize. Don't worry, the IP address shown in that screenshot will not give anything away.

You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system providing these ranges (basically any IP that starts out 10. or 172. or 192. are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

I am fully optimized on the substream front, CPU ticks along at sub 20% normally and previously even with 8 cameras sync'd on playback it was fine. I guess that removing a camera or two will test the theory of overload, I can't see it personally but one way to find out. Kind of annoying.

Side note, I did try disabling two camera in Blue Iris but still crashes, I will remove one or two altogether and try.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I do LOL. I have a 4th gen myself and another member here was running 50 cameras on a 4th gen around 30% CPU. But that is only possible with the substreams.

Also keep in mind, some of the recent BI updates don't seem to like hardware acceleration, so keep that in mind if you update again.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Download and install Core Temp or a similar CPU utility. Then you can see what the CPU is doing and not guess.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh I do LOL. I have a 4th gen myself and another member here was running 50 cameras on a 4th gen around 30% CPU. But that is only possible with the substreams.
:lol: That is good to know. I would report it to Blue Iris but lately the responses have been lacking but I will no doubt do so anyway.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Download and install GPU-Z. Then you can see what the CPU is doing and not guess.
I've been in the computer support game for 20 years so all is good there, I don't do guessing too much these days apart from where the government are concerned :lmao::lmao:;)

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I’ve observed exactly the same behaviour and notified Ken last night.
He replied at 5:30am asking for a TeamViewer session. Said he had received other reports but could not reproduce. I replied around 10a, but I don’t think he‘s tried yet.