Blue Iris Dedicated Server Hardware Req

mioduz

n3wb
Reaction score
researching security camera setup for my new home/shop. Debating on whether i want to use an off the shelf NVR from any one of the big names, or to build a blue iris box. I thought I had some towers kicking around that I could re-purpose as NVR but i just dusted off what i thought could be the best machine and its apparently 11 years old and wont even boot to post.

My question lies in how much computational power do I need to allow for Blue Iris. I suppose I do not want to short change my self on a tower now so we will assume I am going to run 8 6MP cameras (though I have not fully decided on quantity or which camera to buy yet)

HP workstation Z620 2x Intel Xeon, 2.4 GHz E5-2609, 2TB, 8 GB NO OS - Newegg.com+

2x Intel Xeon E5-2606 Quad Core @2.4Ghz

8Gig ddr3 1600

Does this tower have the "ass" to handle blue iris. I presume if the PC is too slow to compute efficiently things such as motion triggers and alerts will begin to fail or work less efficiently which of course I do not want.

mioduz

n3wb
Reaction score
I just breezed through the Wiki, thanks for pointing that out. I was concerned with the XEON power consumption. after I made my original post i did a quick calc on power cost to run a box similar to what i had posted and came up with around $250 a year at Idle. Which seams a bit wild. Also the noise on those machines can be ridiculous sometimes.
So in searching would something like this be a better candidate??
Refurbished: Dell Optiplex 9010 DT i7-3770 3.40GHz 4GB 500GB Win 7 Pro 1 Yr Wty - Newegg.com
Bare in mind I have 16 Gig of DDR3 Ram on my desk that I would replace what is internal already

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would add an SSD for BI and the os. Also add a 4tb drive for storing clips, . You can upgrade the harddrive later. if possible go to Windows 10 pro.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HP Elitedesk or Prodesk Small Form Factor (SFF) with Intel i5 or i7 (at least a Gen 4 processor) are ideal machines for Blue Iris, with plenty of power overhead, low power consumption, ready built, small.. Windows 10 x64.

Windows with Blue Iris on a SSD, and then the recordings on a separate 4tb hdd :)