Blue Iris: Fisheye dewarping / panoramic / PTZ ?

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
Does Blue Iris offer any built-in support for dewarping fisheye cameras into a more normal looking 4:3 or 16:10 or panoramic view?

I see that depending on cost, some fisheye IP cameras are capable of multiple video streams, and offer direct spherical view plus dewarped views internally. For the fisheyes without internal dewarping, is there a way for Blue Iris to do that directly itself?

For example the Hikvision DS-2CD2942F-IS, appears to be a pure fisheye IP camera without internal dewarping. Can Blue Iris dewarp it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does Blue Iris offer any built-in support for dewarping fisheye cameras into a more normal looking 4:3 or 16:10 or panoramic view?

I see that depending on cost, some fisheye IP cameras are capable of multiple video streams, and offer direct spherical view plus dewarped views internally. For the fisheyes without internal dewarping, is there a way for Blue Iris to do that directly itself?

For example the Hikvision DS-2CD2942F-IS, appears to be a pure fisheye IP camera without internal dewarping. Can Blue Iris dewarp it?
Welcome to the forum. No it cant.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
6 months or so ago I asked the BI developer if this could be a possible future feature, and he replied that it may possibly be, at some stage. Which is just a long winded way of repeating fenderman's answer... :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think patents are the problem, someone got a software patent on dewarping.. the BI devs cant implement it w/out arranging licensing for use.

China firms can get away with dewarping software, because well they dont recognize our patent system obviously..

even though optical lenses been dewarping for hundreds of years, but what's old is new when done on a computer apparently.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What about fisheye cameras that do their own on-board dewarping?

I saw this indigovision advert which says:
"IndigoVision’s Fisheye, which uses in-built edge-dewarping and needs no PC processing for dewarping"..."allows any view to be set as a virtual camera".[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

https://www.indigovision.com/en-us/news/artmid/1556/articleid/62/indigovisions-fisheye-camera-at-home-within-epitome-of-luxury-and-style?gclid=CIbbvu_Zpc4CFZaMaQodlmcL5g

Fish eye virtual camera overlay.png

If you can set each dewarped view as a virtual camera then could BI just use those to display the dewarped views?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can set each dewarped view as a virtual camera then could BI just use those to display the dewarped views?
Sure. If the camera can send a stream that is already dewarped, then BI could use it no problem.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just noticed the last Few BI updates included fish-eye stream de-warping!

Ceiling and Hemispherical (horizontal wall mount view too I think?) view.

I have a fish-eye that does its own on-board de-warping but those cameras are usually a lot more expensive, (>$500).
I have not had a chance to play with it much other than "turn it on" for my fish-eye "un-de-warped" video feed.
The result was a live feed de-warped as a 50/50 room split very much like the on-board de-warping did. (In fact the BI view had better coverage. My on-board split view de-warp will not show a large center section.)

Anyway, this should open up better usability of the cheaper fish-eye cameras that do not do their own de-warping.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not had a chance to play with it much other than "turn it on" for my fish-eye "un-de-warped" video feed.
The result was a live feed de-warped as a 50/50 room split very much like the on-board de-warping did.
What is the trick to getting BI to de-warp the live feed? I was trying this on a non-fisheye camera just to see if it would work and I can only make it happen when playing back recordings.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My bad...I was streaming payback afterall, not live.
Live dewarp would be cool too though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

yesman

n3wb
Reaction score
Anybody know if live dewarping is in the works or is this the best we can get due to patent constraints or technical limitations? Could effect some of my purchase decisions.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All I know is BI will now record my fish-eye image as de-warped if selected but when viewing live it is still fish-eye.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody know if live dewarping is in the works or is this the best we can get due to patent constraints or technical limitations? Could effect some of my purchase decisions.
email support...

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My particular fish-eye camera has built in on-board de-warping so it will stream a fish-eye view and a de-warped view.
I found it interesting to see the difference between the built in DW stream and the BI DW capture.

The BI DW view is more squared (720W x 720H) and results in a less realistic view and a large warping of the area just below the center of the camera, covering a diameter of a few feet so it looks really exaggerated.
This is I expect due to the proximity of the camera in relation to the top of the car only being a few feet away. Typically I imagine fish-eye cameras are mounted much higher so maybe same issue would not occur.

The camera's on-board DW view is a wider rectangular shape (1280W x 720H) with much less stretch.
BUT, if you notice, the same area that is exaggerated by the BI DW view is simply missing from the on-board view altogether!
Notice the entire front end of the SUV and sections around it are not even in the video.

I like the on-board DW view better as it is a much cleaner view , but the BI DW recording has full coverage directly below the camera center.

I realize of course neither of these views is going to be all that useful in identifying an intruder unless they have a very unique head.

BI De-Warping Sample