blue iris for 250 cameras at 4mp

mercer2

n3wb
Reaction score
Is milestone the best?
for XProtect Expert ballpark on 200 cameras in software and licensing is $60k. am I close?
any recurring anual cost I should be aware.
that is something we can consider. depending on recurring cost

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As others have said, an enterprise product is definitely called for.

As an academic exercise only, to do 250x 4MP @ 15 FPS with Blue Iris you would need a minimum of four servers, with most or all of the cameras configured to use sub streams or limit decoding (or else the CPU load would be way too high). Sub stream support is getting pretty decent in Blue Iris but it is still annoying at times when for reasons unknown the main stream takes 10+ seconds to load in when you maximize a camera. To work without sub streams or limit decoding, you're looking at needing at least ten i9-9900K or faster systems and they would all be running a very heavy load (25 cameras or 1500 MP/s each). Two servers is a pain. Four is more than I'd recommend to anyone. Ten is just "lol". Even if you got them all running stable (which is no guarantee), it would quickly become apparent how lacking BI is in terms of management features to accommodate this scale.

By the way, that is an impressive home server room.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The server room looks great but I'm more impressed by that slick glass network diagram you have on the opposing wall. This is where a lot of network admins don't do a good job. Actually documenting what is going where.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The server room looks great but I'm more impressed by that slick glass network diagram you have on the opposing wall. This is where a lot of network admins don't do a good job. Actually documenting what is going where.
Heh. Yeah, ports might be labeled within the managed switch GUI, but then when the GUI isn't open or the switch actually dies and needs replaced, you are hosed.

mercer2

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bp2008 and biggen, organization and planning makes a huge difference in system performance and maintenance.
even weight distribution in equipment rack placement is important.

all outlets are identified and assigned on the power controllable server,
network wiring
network logical topology vlans etc
as well as having a landing webpage with all the networked management devices and services directory links.
the back of the rack has ir sensor with full led bars to automatically iluminate each rack workspace.

and of course a dossier document with all access information, very useful when you have dozens of Virtual machines, IoT, services etc.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Milestone is not bad for a bigger setups, they also provide nice appliances. Also i would not say that multiple (virtual) servers are a pain since it makes scaling way easier. It´s quite common to split up to multiple instances. Even milestone does that with theire enterprise nvr. Yes, with BI it´s a bit of a pain since it doesn´t provide good automatistaion features for huge setups.

Do you have a dedicated planner for the camera setup itself? any requirements for an firmware/configuration/lifecycle mangement or CMDB connectors for the cameras?

mercer2

n3wb
Reaction score
we are doing dedicated fiber and power for each pole that contains 2 cameras each
data connection is provided in a weatherproof enclosure with a outdoor rated gpon ont 1gig integrated
with poe switch with a total power budget of 90w
each camera max rated consumption is 7.5w

this infrastructure should allow for future camera upgrades as cameras get more capable/affordable

planing with google earth pro, and google earth studio, with constant local survey as well as rendering of the cameras and mounts installed in the poles for aesthetics approval.

15fps at 4mp with concurrent cloud backup, at 1400mbps constant; 700mbps for local recording and 700mbps for cloud.
380TB local storage and 70TB cloud storage

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is milestone the best?
for XProtect Expert ballpark on 200 cameras in software and licensing is $60k. am I close?
any recurring anual cost I should be aware.
that is something we can consider. depending on recurring cost
If you dont want recuring fees, look at digital watchdog ipvms, which is the north american version of nxwitness. 70 bux a cam. There is however a 128 camera limit per server.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
If you dont want recuring fees, look at digital watchdog ipvms, which is the north american version of nxwitness. 70 bux a cam. There is however a 128 camera limit per server.
have you tried the new 4.1 software for digital watchdog?

your thoughts?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, yeah. 2020 is a bit late to be implementing push notifications in mature commercial VMS software. Better late than never I suppose.

If I recall, google/firebase cloud messaging uses an API key that you are supposed to keep private, and I think Apple's situation is similar but uses certificates of some kind. Anyway when you're distributing the server app to end users, that isn't the ideal setup. Maybe they got hung up on that, whereas Ken just crossed his fingers with Blue Iris and hoped no damned hacker would make trouble with it.