Blue Iris in docker working

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt making Blue Iris natively cross-platform is even on the developer's roadmap. Blue Iris is a one-man operation that has been going on for something like 20 years. Even if he has the necessary experience (which I'd guess is unlikely) to port it to linux and build a stable Docker image, it would probably not be worth his time.

bebopblues

n3wb
Reaction score
You gotta be kidding me. Yes, it is 2019 and so:

Windows PC that will run BI = $140
BI = $50
Total = <$200
I can save myself that $140 because I already have a Mac Mini I bought 5 years ago for running as 24/7 server. I run Wordpress and Plex on it natively on it. And when I wanted an IP camera software, they had SecuritySpy for MacOS, which is pretty good, but it costs 3 times more than Blue Iris. So I decided to go with BI and run it in a Windows 7 VM on my Mac Mini. It's been almost 2 years now and there's no issues. But if a docker solution is less overhead on my Mac mini, then I'm willing to go that route.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can save myself that $140 because I already have a Mac Mini I bought 5 years ago for running as 24/7 server. I run Wordpress and Plex on it natively on it. And when I wanted an IP camera software, they had SecuritySpy for MacOS, which is pretty good, but it costs 3 times more than Blue Iris. So I decided to go with BI and run it in a Windows 7 VM on my Mac Mini. It's been almost 2 years now and there's no issues. But if a docker solution is less overhead on my Mac mini, then I'm willing to go that route.
I learned a long time ago to never get into in-depth discussions with Mac users. Whatever works for you, my man.
Happy Thanksgiving! :cool:

bebopblues

n3wb
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago to never get into in-depth discussions with Mac users. Whatever works for you, my man.
Happy Thanksgiving! :cool:
Not just a mac user, just happen that the machine I use for 24/7 server is a mac mini, it used to be a PC until I retired it. 99% of the time, I'm on a Windows PC or Android phone. I'm just chiming in that in my case, it makes sense to run BI in VM and that it is a good solution.

But yeah, happy turkey day. :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That’s rude for no reason.
You're reading something into that which is not there.

I owned and operated a Mac SE in 1989 for a short time but have owned, built and repaired PC's continuously since 1984 and prefer them but realize that doesn't make Macs any less valuable or useful to those that prefer them.

Although I don't owe you this, I'll say that I've engaged in Ford vs. Chevy and Coke vs. Pepsi debates over the years and they seldom, if ever, settle anything except this: people have their preferences and loyalties and they are entitled to them.

That's the reason why "I learned a long time ago to never get into in-depth discussions with Mac users ." It's a waste of my time and theirs. We're not going to change each other's opinion, most likely.

Wouldn't you agree?

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
I am becoming a fan myself of Docker images. So much like a VM lite. Allows me to run somethings on my Arch Linux server that before required AUR packages that were problematic or a full VM. I might tinker with the Docker that someone made for BI, but I am concerned about proper access in and out of the container and storage as well. My win10 VM I can pass through a video card, or storage. I can even pass through a raw drive if I want. I am in agreement that the Docker view is becoming more and more main stream and popular, though likely will not catch on with the average home user. But to be honest, if you use BI you are not an average home user. I currently run Check_MK and Ubiquiti UNIFI controller in dockers on my server and need only 2 guests, one for BI and the other for my download machine. The only reason I was willing to get BI is CPUs caught up and I can now run a VM with the power to run BI. With out that I would either have got a NVR out of the box or not bothered. I would love to have a Docker that worked well and was supported. For now my win10 guest will work ok.

rfeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that the OP's thread about BI-Docker has been taken over and sidetracked.
It would be GREAT if the OP could come back to let us know if the Docker image still works? I, for one, would greatly appreciate it!

Maybe start a new thread and hopefully that would stay on subject?

OnePunch

n3wb
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that the OP's thread about BI-Docker has been taken over and sidetracked.
It would be GREAT if the OP could come back to let us know if the Docker image still works? I, for one, would greatly appreciate it!

I am testing this right now ill let u know.

OnePunch

n3wb
Reaction score
I can confirm this release works and is recently updated.