Blue Iris is working fine but my computer is lagging

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
For over 3 weeks now my computer has been lagging. Whenever I open a browser or anything besides Blueiris, it just stalls and it's been really frustrating. Average CPU usage for BI is under 15% and RAM is less than 1.5Gb. I'm using a dell optiplex 7460, i7-8700, 8Gb RAM, win 10pro version 10.0.19042 build 19042 if it helps.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You're running the OS from a portable USB drive? Or is it SATA?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
USB is definitely a performance bottleneck. Even if you're using front and rear ports for the drives, it is most likely the same Bus/controller.

Is the BI machine an 'daily driver' in regards to your computer use?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this an All-In-One Optiplex and you're running BI on external drives because of no room inside and/or you don't want to crack it open?

If so and if the O/S is on a 3.5" HDD then you might have room to put in a new 2.5" SSD for Windows, BI and BI's "db" folder, stick it in with double-sided foam tape.
Replace the existing 3.5" HDD with a surveillance-rated HDD such as a WD Purple and put BI's video clips on it.

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
You're running the OS from a portable USB drive? Or is it SATA?
Yes I'm running it in the portable USB. Is there anyway to install the OS in the inbuilt storage without having to program the cameras again? I had someone set up the ips and I'm just panic thinking about doing all that again. Also, everything was running fine up until maybe 3 weeks ago. I've had this set up since Jan 2021 without any problems. I don't know if i mistakenly updated Windows or downloaded the upgrade to the portable drive.

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
USB is definitely a performance bottleneck. Even if you're using front and rear ports for the drives, it is most likely the same Bus/controller.

Is the BI machine an 'daily driver' in regards to your computer use?
Yes it is, I run 8cams recording 24/7. But I also like to use the computer every once in a while, but lately it's been lagging seriously.

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this an All-In-One Optiplex and you're running BI on external drives because of no room inside and/or you don't want to crack it open?

If so and if the O/S is on a 3.5" HDD then you might have room to put in a new 2.5" SSD for Windows, BI and BI's "db" folder, stick it in with double-sided foam tape.
Replace the existing 3.5" HDD with a surveillance-rated HDD such as a WD Purple and put BI's video clips on it.

Yes that's my mistake. Dell optiplex is highly recommended here but I didn't realise there were different types so I got the All-in-one. I also bought the 3.5'' 4TB WD Purple which is also recommended here but it was too big to fit the AIO computer when I opened it so I just connected it to the USB port. Is there a 2.5'' surveillance SSD you can recommend? Also is there a way to transfer windows and everything already on the HDD to the 2.5'' SSD without having to program the cameras again?

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
This video would show you how to add one. There might be more maybe in English. I just turned the sound off.
View attachment 118167
Please is there anyone you can recommend? Is 2TB the maximum? I see samsung has 2.5'' 4TB SSD, will it be compatible with my pc? Do you know way to transfer both OS and cam settings from the HDD to a new SSD?