Blue Iris is working fine but my computer is lagging

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that's my mistake. Dell optiplex is highly recommended here but I didn't realise there were different types so I got the All-in-one. I also bought the 3.5'' 4TB WD Purple which is also recommended here but it was too big to fit the AIO computer when I opened it so I just connected it to the USB port. Is there a 2.5'' surveillance SSD you can recommend? Also is there a way to transfer windows and everything already on the HDD to the 2.5'' SSD without having to program the cameras again?
"Macrium Reflect 8 Free" version can clone the HDD to a 2.5" SSD. I did 2 last year and 2 this year already. One of them I actually cloned a 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD, re-sizing the partitions, all boot up great and all are Win 10.
WD makes a SSD Purple, I can't say anything about it, though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just found out it's actually a HDD not SSD. I have the 4TB Western Digital Purple. It's currently connected by USB because its too big to fit into the All-in-one dell optiplex.
Wow even worse. Your system is simply terribly configured. Put the is and blue iris on an SSD. 50 bux will solve your problem.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are not going to be moving this computer around, so tape the HDD to the interior or exterior of the computer. Is it ideal...NO....is it better than USB...ABSOLUTELY....

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
You are not going to be moving this computer around, so tape the HDD to the interior or exterior of the computer. Is it ideal...NO....is it better than USB...ABSOLUTELY....
I don't mind taping it but right now I have the HDD in an enclosure thing connected via USB. Is there a way to connect the HDD inside the motherboard directly? The reason I connected it with via USB is because it's a 3.5" while my computer only has space for a 2.5". I really don't mind tapping it if there's a way to directly connect it inside the computer.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cables should be there for the 2.5 (or a space on the motherboard to purchase the cable and plug it in). Or if it has a DVD drive, take the drive out or unhook the cables that go to it and plug it into the HDD.

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, it really means so much to me. I found this Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVME internal SSD with V- NAND on Amazon for $219 which is $20 more than the crucial P2 you recommended earlier, it's faster and has twice the TBW. Should I get this one and do you know if it is compatible with my dell optiplex? Here's the amazon link Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, it really means so much to me. I found this Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVME internal SSD with V- NAND on Amazon for $219 which is $20 more than the crucial P2 you recommended earlier, it's faster and has twice the TBW. Should I get this one and do you know if it is compatible with my dell optiplex? Here's the amazon link Amazon.com
You are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Regardless of the size of the SSD you will need to use an external drive because your AIO pc cannot hold a 3.5 drive. This will ultimately cause issues. You can buy a dedicated PC for blue iris for less than 300 dollars, including the ssd for the OS and BI. Problem solved.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
You are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Regardless of the size of the SSD you will need to use an external drive because your AIO pc cannot hold a 3.5 drive. This will ultimately cause issues. You can buy a dedicated PC for blue iris for less than 300 dollars, including the ssd for the OS and BI. Problem solved.
I spent over $700 on the AIO already. It wouldn't make sense buying another pc at this point. I have to do the best with what I already have. My setup was running perfectly fine for over a year until recently. So I believe adding an internal SSD for BI and Windows and even keeping the new data on the external HD will still work perfectly fine for me.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I spent over $700 on the AIO already. It wouldn't make sense buying another pc at this point. I have to do the best with what I already have. My setup was running perfectly fine for over a year until recently. So I believe adding an internal SSD for BI and Windows and even keeping the new data on the external HD will still work perfectly fine for me.
Sell the all-in-one, don't throw good money after bad money. You are considering spending $220 on an SSD, went for $80 more you can solve your entire problem. You're going to spend all this money and then have issues with the USB drive disconnecting